Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom wheels: what is best width and offset for perfect square setup on X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, fellow Xers.

I'm going to be ordering a forged wheel set and was wondering what would be the best offset and wheel width for a 21" diameter or 22" diameter wheel size to get a perfect square setup that allows for 4-corner wheel rotation.

Thanks very much.

I've been wondering this too. This is my first X, and would prefer to go square if there's no detrimental effects on the suspension dynamics. I was thinking of going 20x9.5 squared wrapped in 265/45. What effect would this have overall?

Two sets of oem front wheels?
My winter setup is a square 20”, I think my wheels are 8.5” but could have gone wider, tires are 265/45/20
Rest of the year I’m on stock staggered 22s but I don’t think there’s any fitment issue using fronts all around.
Does a square setup like this throw off the speedometer/odometer? I’m guessing putting OEM front wheels on the rear might affect this.

No, that just depends on making sure the overall diameter with the tires is the same. Width and offset have no impact on speedometer/odometer.
True, but on my 2023 X the front tire is 265/45R20 and the rear is 275/45R20 which comes out to 29.4” vs 29.7” and 687 rev/mile vs 678 rev/mile. Is that a large enough difference to be noticeable?

True, but on my 2023 X the front tire is 265/45R20 and the rear is 275/45R20 which comes out to 29.4” vs 29.7” and 687 rev/mile vs 678 rev/mile. Is that a large enough difference to be noticeable?
Ah, I see what you mean.

Plugging in those numbers into a tire calculator, that’s only 1% difference.
I’m actually not sure where Tesla reads the rotations for speedometer/odometer. Good question.