Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2200 mile round trip drive: M3LR or ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have a question though? Not in the car, just looking at the “Tesla go anywhere” site but how do you distinguish a V2 vs V3 SC?
It doesn't show on the Tesla go anywhere webpage. That webpage isn't very useful and I wouldn't recommend using it to actually plan your route. The in car navigation works better and A Better Route Planner, abrp.com works much better.

For finding out information about all Tesla locations including the supercharger stops, the Tesla "Find us" map is pretty good.

Just click on the Supercharger location and it will show under Charging the maximum charge rate. If it's 250kW, it's a V3, 120kW to 150kW is a V2, and 72kW is an Urban Supercharger. The nice thing about this map is it shows nearby restrooms, restaurants, etc.

Reactions: phishphan
Also, if you're on the road and can't get to a Supercharger location for some reason, check plugshare.com since it shows all different kinds of chargers. Bring along your Tesla Mobile Connector along with the J1772, 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. On Plugshare it shows the type of plug for the charger. Any of these chargers are much slower than a Supercharger, but at least you can get a charge if you need it.

It's not like you are going to have a choice between V2 and V3 on I-80 in Wyoming. Honestly, I never felt like it made a significant difference.
On a Model 3, a V3 charger only makes a few minutes difference in the charge time and only if you start charging at a low state of charge. Of course, that's assuming that your V2 charger isn't being shared with another car. If you're sharing, it could be as much as 10 minutes faster. That's not really a big deal in my experience, but if you're in a hurry . . .

It's not like you are going to have a choice between V2 and V3 on I-80 in Wyoming. Honestly, I never felt like it made a significant difference.
Being Wyoming I assume they’re all V2?
It doesn't show on the Tesla go anywhere webpage. That webpage isn't very useful and I wouldn't recommend using it to actually plan your route. The in car navigation works better and A Better Route Planner, abrp.com works much better.

For finding out information about all Tesla locations including the supercharger stops, the Tesla "Find us" map is pretty good.

Just click on the Supercharger location and it will show under Charging the maximum charge rate. If it's 250kW, it's a V3, 120kW to 150kW is a V2, and 72kW is an Urban Supercharger. The nice thing about this map is it shows nearby restrooms, restaurants, etc.
Got it, thank you!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
On a Model 3, a V3 charger only makes a few minutes difference in the charge time and only if you start charging at a low state of charge. Of course, that's assuming that your V2 charger isn't being shared with another car. If you're sharing, it could be as much as 10 minutes faster. That's not really a big deal in my experience, but if you're in a hurry . . .
If you follow my strategy of charge at lunch and dinner charging adds zero time to your trip. You may even prefer v2 chargers so you don't have to move your car during dining. V3 can too fast

I’ll do a longer “trip report” at a later time but yes, I do agree with all of you guys now that range anxiety is a non issue. We cut it close from the grand island, NE SC to the St, Joseph, MO charger as we’re down to 8%. Never even bothered with ABRP.

And man, I honestly feel like super chargers are the real crowning achievement for Tesla even as incredible as the vehicles are.

Reactions: DrGriz
I’ll do a longer “trip report” at a later time but yes, I do agree with all of you guys now that range anxiety is a non issue. We cut it close from the grand island, NE SC to the St, Joseph, MO charger as we’re down to 8%. Never even bothered with ABRP.

And man, I honestly feel like super chargers are the real crowning achievement for Tesla even as incredible as the vehicles are.
To each his own but I would have topped up in Lincoln to avoid stress. FWIW, I have run into situations where the Supercharger wasn’t working or available (parking lot paving).

Kansas City. Really wonder what would have happened had this happened in NE or WY.
Tesla would still tow you but everything would have been more painful, I suppose. I got our new M3LR stuck in desert sand near Joshua Tree NP in 100 deg. heat. It was very stressful but all worked out OK. We met a very kind and helpful Marine from the nearby base. The flatbed tow truck I called
(AAA) couldn‘t reach us. Called a second tow company who had us out in 30 minutes from the time I called.

Tesla would still tow you but everything would have been more painful, I suppose. I got our new M3LR stuck in desert sand near Joshua Tree NP in 100 deg. heat. It was very stressful but all worked out OK. We met a very kind and helpful Marine from the nearby base. The flatbed tow truck I called
(AAA) couldn‘t reach us. Called a second tow company who had us out in 30 minutes from the time I called.
It’s not 100 here but it’s close with high humidity that we’re not used to. Brutal.