Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2200 mile round trip drive: M3LR or ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was trying to make it to Rawlins but we’re staying in Laramie for the night as I needed a cocktail lol. The winds died down around Grand Island but picked up again in far western Nebraska. The Gothenburg (sic?) super chargers were the first I’ve been to that had both a trash can and squeegees with buckets of solution!

Reactions: DrGriz and ms512
Thanks @phishphan for keeping us updated on this whole thread. I've been very eagerly following along, as I am also planning on a longer trip in my (soon to be delivered) M3 in about a month. Seattle to Santa Barbara and back, so similar total distance as you're doing, just very different route. I'm definitely trying to learn from your experiences and would very much appreciate an overall trip summary / take aways once you're a few days removed from the trip.

And most importantly: best of luck on the rest of your trip home!

Reactions: phishphan
Thanks @phishphan for keeping us updated on this whole thread. I've been very eagerly following along, as I am also planning on a longer trip in my (soon to be delivered) M3 in about a month. Seattle to Santa Barbara and back, so similar total distance as you're doing, just very different route. I'm definitely trying to learn from your experiences and would very much appreciate an overall trip summary / take aways once you're a few days removed from the trip.

And most importantly: best of luck on the rest of your trip home!
No problem! Glad it can help somebody. I will post a more thorough trip report this weekend sometime.

I will say though that even with this great advice I received in this thread from experts it’s hard to comprehend the details until you experience it yourself. For example the super chargers and running your battery down to under 10% for quicker charging. They charge at nearly 600 mph when the battery is low and as you approach 80ish % it slows down to 100ish mph. At least for me, I didn’t quite comprehend it until experienced it. Making it to a charger at 10% or less (without the wind factor we dealt with today) seemed scary to me but it’s really not a big deal.

No problem! Glad it can help somebody. I will post a more thorough trip report this weekend sometime.

I will say though that even with this great advice I received in this thread from experts it’s hard to comprehend the details until you experience it yourself. For example the super chargers and running your battery down to under 10% for quicker charging. They charge at nearly 600 mph when the battery is low and as you approach 80ish % it slows down to 100ish mph. At least for me, I didn’t quite comprehend it until experienced it. Making it to a charger at 10% or less (without the wind factor we dealt with today) seemed scary to me but it’s really not a big deal.
F2493946-EECD-49A9-AF23-61E09E82BA0E.jpeg

Really hope it doesn’t come to that but thank you. What would you estimate the range loss to have been if you remember?
Sorry but I don’t remember. We had two issues: wind and the speed limit had been increased to 85 IIRC. Tesla didn’t seem to know about the speed increase so SOC projection was off. As I said, I slowed down and was deciding if we should turn around and go back to Sheridan, WY. I was concerned about my stressing my wife (and me). At what I considered the point of no return, I looked over and she was asleep!

We continued on and arrived with no issue.

... The Gothenburg (sic?) super chargers were the first I’ve been to that had both a trash can and squeegees with buckets of solution!

The only supercharger site I've ever seen with squeegees is at Fort Stockton, TX. Those are in the back parking lot of a Flying J Travel Center.

Thanks for sharing what sounds like an awesome road trip!

Yes actually. From time to time we will do a rundown test and then charge from empty to full to get a gauge of total usable battery.

Useful for calculating true range at present consumption independently of the trip planner.
Got it. That’s what I figured.

Made it home, have one little chip in the paint that I can see and I know exactly where it happened in WY. Going to go to the paint shop to see if they can fix it in a little bit.

Also, interesting to note that it is routing us through Lincoln this time rather than going around it.
If you don't need the Council Bluffs charger from a time and distance stand point it doesn't make sense to keep driving North at the stand point to go through Omaha. All you are doing at that point is adding 30 unnecessary miles and a fair amount of extra traffic. I'm more surprised that you apparently didn't get routed that way on the way down.