Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

23 S black on black. Tint recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 23 S that's black on black. I have never tinted any of my previous vehicles, but would like to on this for 2 reasons:

1. There is a lot of heat in the car
2. My baby doesn't do too well with the amount of light from the rear and side windows

As I know nothing about tint, I was hoping for some guidance. What's a good brand/installer? I received a quote from ceramic pro SD (San Diego) for their ceramic tint for all windows except windshield and roof for $600. Is this a reasonable price?

Looking for some advice on:
  1. Tint brand
  2. Percentage tint
  3. Installer in San Diego
  4. Expected price
  5. Anything else I should know
Thanks!

From my experience on tinting my BMW and 2 Teslas. I was happy with the following.
1. You can go with 3M or Expel as 2 of the top. I went with Expel Nano-Ceramic which has self healing for scratches.
2. That is very subjective especially if you have never had tinted windows. Go to your local shop and they should have comparisons.
3. I am in Seattle so I can't help you there
4. For windows only, it can range from $300 to $1,000 depending on what type of ceramic film and if you are doing the roof or back window. I did the back window the same as the sides and didn't do the roof.
6. I feel that PPF for the main areas for rock chips are even more important than window tint. I had 3-4 rock chips in my 2017 MS and when they were enough that I got tired of seeing them, I paid $500 and had new PPF put on the hood and it looks brand new again.

Good luck

Reactions: _panda
From my experience on tinting my BMW and 2 Teslas. I was happy with the following.
1. You can go with 3M or Expel as 2 of the top. I went with Expel Nano-Ceramic which has self healing for scratches.
2. That is very subjective especially if you have never had tinted windows. Go to your local shop and they should have comparisons.
3. I am in Seattle so I can't help you there
4. For windows only, it can range from $300 to $1,000 depending on what type of ceramic film and if you are doing the roof or back window. I did the back window the same as the sides and didn't do the roof.
6. I feel that PPF for the main areas for rock chips are even more important than window tint. I had 3-4 rock chips in my 2017 MS and when they were enough that I got tired of seeing them, I paid $500 and had new PPF put on the hood and it looks brand new again.

Good luck
Thanks!
Elite Finish in San Diego is the place to go, IMO. I have never tinted but did get a full PPF and they did a great job and were easy to work with.
Thanks, will check them out!