Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint percentage suggestions and tint mfr sought 23 MS Blue with white interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my MS LR ‘23 - blue paint and white interior. Curious if anyone has also tinted their windows with this color combination and what percentage/mfr used.

My last MS I had 30% spectra photo sync , 70% on front. Now thinking maybe 20% on sides and my tint place wants to use expel tint 15%- prime black or prime plus. I am concerned 15% too dark, and concerned about the rear window too. Any thoughts on tint appreciated.

We tinted exactly that color combo vehicle near the start of the year and have been super happy with the 20 (ish) percent we chose. It matches the rears perfectly & isn't too dark for outward visibility at night which becomes an issue w/ 15% and below.

I have the same car (MSLR '23) but black on black and just did 15% all around and 50% on the windshield and I don't think it's dark enough. The roof allows a lot of light into the cabin so it is not your typical 15%. Its funny because my previous MSLR (2020) had 15% and 50% on the windshield and was darker inside. I think the previous owner tinted the roof because it was also much cooler inside. I went with Llumar IRX all around on both cars.

I should note that my F150 has Pinnacle 15% all around and 40% on the windshield and pano sunroof and feels far cooler as well. Now that is waaay darker for some reason. I've had people stand right next to the truck and not see me looking directly at them. Quality tint, but expensive as hell.

I have the same car (MSLR '23) but black on black and just did 15% all around and 50% on the windshield and I don't think it's dark enough. The roof allows a lot of light into the cabin so it is not your typical 15%. Its funny because my previous MSLR (2020) had 15% and 50% on the windshield and was darker inside. I think the previous owner tinted the roof because it was also much cooler inside. I went with Llumar IRX all around on both cars.

I should note that my F150 has Pinnacle 15% all around and 40% on the windshield and pano sunroof and feels far cooler as well. Now that is waaay darker for some reason. I've had people stand right next to the truck and not see me looking directly at them. Quality tint, but expensive as hell.
Interesting, as they have a new glass roof with more clarity. I wonder if this changes things.... so a good point and with the white interior may have an accentuated fish bowl effect? I was thinking of doing the Xpel XR Black and not their plus which has the highest IR rejection. Because it does not get too hot during my daily commutes with a garaged car and Living in So Cal by the beach.

Interesting, as they have a new glass roof with more clarity. I wonder if this changes things.... so a good point and with the white interior may have an accentuated fish bowl effect? I was thinking of doing the Xpel XR Black and not their plus which has the highest IR rejection. Because it does not get too hot during my daily commutes with a garaged car and Living in So Cal by the beach.
My MY was tinted by a shop that does primarily Tesla’s. Five Tesla‘s in the shop when I was there. He talked me out of tinting the roof glass. With a meter, he showed how the roof is already blocking UV and heat. It was 1:00pm on a bright sunny day. He added most Tesla owners think heat is coming from the roof, when it‘s actually coming from the windshield. So I put a light tint on the windshield, it seems to be working.

Here is his MS page Tesla Model S Pricing | AcutintPRO, the Tesla Model S Auto Tinting Experts in Upland, CA

Ours from my post above is exactly the same as yours (blue on ultra white) and I'm happy w/20% and what the "better" (good/better/best) version of tint film. IMO it's perfect. Any darker and it would be notably darker than the rears and the outward visibility at night also drops off of a cliff at 15% and below.

Source: I've owned dozens & dozens of cars (8 Teslas now) and always have the windows tinted right out of the gate. I've tried darker (even 5% aka "limo" on my Toyota Supra which was a huge mistake. Paid a small fortune for the removal and retint after only a short period.

IMO, 20% on the fronts is perfect not only for looks but for functionality as well. The windshield film (usually 50% +/- 5%) is a very good option to consider for both heat rejection and making all windows seem slightly darker as well if it's not dark enough looking for you. Getting the roof tinted is a waste of time & money based on my experience.

My MY was tinted by a shop that does primarily Tesla’s. Five Tesla‘s in the shop when I was there. He talked me out of tinting the roof glass. With a meter, he showed how the roof is already blocking UV and heat. It was 1:00pm on a bright sunny day. He added most Tesla owners think heat is coming from the roof, when it‘s actually coming from the windshield. So I put a light tint on the windshield, it seems to be working.

Here is his MS page Tesla Model S Pricing | AcutintPRO, the Tesla Model S Auto Tinting Experts in Upland, CA
There was a time when ALL of my vehicles got windshield tint too. It makes a crazy difference and now I have several friends who now tint theirs as well after riding in mine.

I got away from it because my older Model S cars had the metallic film in it from the factory. Played hell on transponders but good heat rejection from the factory. So much so that my tinted windshield S barely felt different. Not worth it. This 2023 Y though doesn't have that so it may be going back in to get the windshield done.

I was informed by our salesperson and the tint person that this car has no tint. The roof I believe does, and would not tint, it has much greater transparancy then the prior MS's (new for 2023) and therefore may be brighter inside with white interior, and hence the 'fish bowl' concern. Therefore, am leaning towards 20% or 30% all around, and maybe 55 or 70% on the front windshield. The ceramic tint Xpel XR Prime Black has a less IR resistance then their top of the line, but suspect good enough and would save some $$.

Xpel 70 is more on the bluish side and more translucent. The Xpel 50 is more on the black/gray Smokey side. Mine is 25 side 50 front
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5002.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures. Is that also the XR Prime Black or plus. They don't have a 25% when I looked it up on the Xpel website? Looks fantastic!
Ooops, I forgot to mention mine is FormulaOne Pinnacle for my S. I prefer the color undertone of the FormulaOne with the black exterior. I chose it over the XR prime Plus that’s why I’m familiar with the color and Xpel only offered 20/30. I decided to go 25 instead since 20 for me looks dark and 30 is too light. That’s my personal preference fyi.

Xpel 70 is more on the bluish side and more translucent. The Xpel 50 is more on the black/gray Smokey side. Mine is 25 side 50 front View attachment 953207View attachment 953208

It looks nice! Did you do your roof as well? Also, I think where you live has A LOT to do with it. I live in South Florida where the sun sits about 5 feet from the top of your head lol. But our heat index has been consistently over 104 degrees plus our wonderful humidity here. You have to love south Florida summers (eye roll).

Reactions: zoomer0056
It looks nice! Did you do your roof as well? Also, I think where you live has A LOT to do with it. I live in South Florida where the sun sits about 5 feet from the top of your head lol. But our heat index has been consistently over 104 degrees plus our wonderful humidity here. You have to love south Florida summers (eye roll).
Thanks. Hahaha, it’s 90 degrees here as the hottest and I went to Vegas last weekend and you can feel the heat and I finally wore a cap. Lol. I didn’t do the roof since I don’t really feel the need and I was right. But I felt the need when I went to Vegas. Good thing I don’t live there.

Reactions: Thurro!
Hello fam, newbie here with a 2023 MYP in Blue with white interior. Just thought I’d contribute my tint so that others can get ideas. Normally I’d prefer an even tint level and hue at 35% all around, but the pretinted rears ruined my plans. I explained to my tinter that I wanted the sides to be evenly matched hue and tint percent wise. My tinter suggested the following. Frontsides 15% & Rearsides 35% to attain a close match. (Btw I had the front and Rear Windows tinted 35%). Here are pics in full sunlight under shade inside and outside the car
IMG_9960.jpeg
IMG_9966.jpeg
IMG_9962.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
IMG_9972.jpeg
IMG_9961.jpeg
. As you can see the white tint really does lighten up the dark tint even in shade and visibility is excellent. Extremely satisfied! Btw car done in Xpel XR Plus.