Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240v Electrical Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really isn't such a big deal. If 120V is sufficient for your driving, you can't really waste enough electricity for it to be a big deal.

Let's say you charge at 120V 12A = 1.44kW. And you charge 12 hours per day weekdays/20 hours per day weekends - so you charge 100 hours per week.

100 hours per week x 1.44kW x 52 weeks @ 10c / kWh = $748 per year total in electrical charges. Take 27% of that as waste = $200/year.

If it would cost $3k to install a 240V outlet like it was quoted for fluxemag - it would take your 15 years to recover that - and... do you even know if you're going to be in the same place in 15 years?

Even if installation is only $1000, but you're in an apartment, it's only really worth installing if you know that you'll still be there in 5 years.
I totally agree. I said If there is no alternative. I don’t see spending $3k as an alternative here! My point was for OP who had a dryer outlet available!

Interesting! My numbers matched teslas numbers so I thought they were realistic. I should also add that I used a 25 foot extension cord with 240v but no extension cord with 120v

The other interesting figure is that you pull 249 volts but I pull 234 volts. Yet we both get 22 miles of range.
We do not know how Tesla does it’s calculations and it may not be as precise as some would like.