Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 minute hold for emergency roadside service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called emergency roadside service today Sunday at 9 am PST for a flat tire. I was astounded that the hold time was 25 minutes! Fortunately I was in a safe location, but can you imagine someone on the side of the freeway nervously waiting for 25 minutes for someone to pick up? At the end of the call I quickly mentioned I should let him go take care of the queue, and he said it's really bad on Sundays because people call that number for general support ("how do I....") since that line is not open on Sunday.

When I first got my Tesla a year ago, I called and they picked right up, and I've assumed it would be like that if I ever have an emergency in the future. Today was, at the very least, unsettling.

On a positive note, the music on hold was an excellent mix of 80s music including Madonna's "Into the Groove."

I called TESLA road side assistance for two flats in Philadelphia. Hold times were a small part of the problem. I called for a tow at 8PM. and they said they would call back when a tow truck was on its way. an hour later no call so I called back. They said you asked for a tow tomorrow morning. I said "NO, I want a tow NOW!". An hour goes by I called back again, they say they tried to call me but dint answer so they closed the request. Turns out they had the wrong phone number. Its now 10PM, After another hour they call back and tell me they cant find a tow truck available until 8-10am the next morning. I give up and go to bed. Next morning at 7 am I call AAA and within 45 minutes I have a tow truck by 8am. I called Tesla road side assistance and they say the earliest a tow truck can get there is 10am. Fortunately I got the flat tires right down the street from my hotel and was able to make it back to the parking lot. But could you imagine leaving your car on the side of the road overnight waiting for a tow. This was a busy road, no shoulder.

I have never seen Tesla's Roadside Assistance service identified by Tesla as an "emergency" roadside service, although they do use the word "immediate" in their description. If it is truly an emergency (not just a flat tire, car is in a position likely to cause an accident, etc.), then some kind of first-responder service or 911 should be called.

Reactions: JeffnReno
At lease Roadside Assistance answers the phone, I can't get anyone on the phone in a service center to ask a question. My M3 front left tire is shot after 12K miles, cupping and uneven, wear. My mechanic says there is a problem with the suspension, Tesla says rotate the tires, not there issue, finally have a service appointment to fight it out.

Uneven cupping and wear can be caused by a loose belt in the tire tread. Often bad front tires will cause shimmy. I once worked on a car that had all 4 tires bad, so if you are having a bad day it may need more than one.

Please excuse my ignorance, but in this context, what is a hockey puck? New to Tesla.

Anyone tells you it's an actual hockey puck is f....ing with you. This comes from StreetRays on ebay for $21, and inserts into a hole on the underside of the chassis. The jack then is placed under it. O rings as seen here are not used in hockey pucks, even I know that.

Attachments

• puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 77
Anyone tells you it's an actual hockey puck is f....ing with you. This comes from StreetRays on ebay for $21, and inserts into a hole on the underside of the chassis. The jack then is placed under it. O rings as seen here are not used in hockey pucks, even I know that.
An actual hockey puck works fine, the custom ones are just more idiot proof.

I keep two spare tires in my garage, a hockey puck in my trunk and a AAA membership as a backup in case Tesla roadside assistance falls apart. A number of people have posted that even after they got through Tesla informed them they did not have any spare tires available which pretty much defeats the purpose of having roadside assistance.

We have had decent Tesla roadside service for 5 flat tires. We would generally have to wait in a queue and be towed to where the tire could be put back on. We learned to get rid of the 21" wheels. Is the hockey puck due to the Tesla logo being 2 hockey sticks?

Bad news...and good news!

Bad news (1): Experienced a blowout near the 126 and the 5. Took Tesla four hours to get a loaner to me 'cause it had to come in from Northridge....and the loaner wheel was on another service truck which was on a service call.

Good news: As a result of that experience, and factoring in that I make long trips, I went online and got a matching wheel from a wrecking yard. Purchased another Michelin and, voila! Spare tire and wheel. This combo now lives in the frunk (don't carry it inside the vehicle because I don't like the odor and off-gassing from the tire). Had another blowout on another wheel...quick change, and I was on my way.

Caveat: My 2013 frunk is large enough to accommodate the full-sized "spare." I

It's a shame Tesla laid off all those employees recently... they could use a few extra customer service people.

Last July, right after we got our Model 3 we took it on a road trip to Montreal. After taking the Lake Express ferry across Lake Michigan the nav system was stuck, thinking we were still in Milwaukee. I called Tesla to see what we had to do and waited on hold about 15 minutes, then just started driving because I knew more or less where I was going. After about 10 miles the nav system realized we were in Michigan and all was well so I hung up... about 25 minutes with no answer... obviously things are no better now.

Reactions: goldengate