Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

265/40 - 20s Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 on Inductions- One month 1400 miles report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the slightly oversized Pilot Sport All Seasons last month and have put around 1,400 miles on them. I‘m a fan, I think they look great, there is a noticeable difference in handling, they are quiet (nearly exactly as loud as the Goodyears), they seem to have very little impact of efficiency. The handling difference is stark. The steering feel with the Y has always seemed a bit vague to me and now there is some connection. It’s most noticeable on the initial turn into a curve, the first 5° movement of the wheel seems to yield actual and immediate direction change. I’m stoked on these and will likely use them for the life of the car. They are great in the rain as you would expect. I have not used them in actual snow or ice only slush and sleet and they were fine.

And someone please check my math!
For efficiency, they are slightly- ever so slightly- less- or maybe not. The 265s do 712 revs per mile while the stock 255s do 720- an approx 1% difference. Over the last month the Michelins have run 270 Wh/m over 1394 miles while my life time average on the Goodyears was 264 Wh/m a 2.25% difference. Less the 1% mileage difference and considering those 1400 Michelin miles have been done in weather colder than the lifetime average makes these an efficiency wash for me.

One efficiency caveat- I installed the front mudflaps at the same time I installed the tires since they do stick out a few more mm- so that is a variable I cannot account. Mudflaps very well may improve efficiency- the method would be them creating a turbidity boundary aft of the wheel and this cushion preventing the drag from the vacuum which would otherwise form in that void. That’s 100% speculation but I think that the Goodyears were stretched (narrow and inward tapering) to keep them in the fender’s boundry and the Michelins sit slightly proud and that would be the difference.

Attachments

• 9F05D1F6-DEF4-4393-863B-3E81BC00673F.jpeg
    9F05D1F6-DEF4-4393-863B-3E81BC00673F.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 405
  • 2E755A21-1967-40ED-9A0A-5168EC64A54D.jpeg
    2E755A21-1967-40ED-9A0A-5168EC64A54D.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 373
  • A26FD7A4-F3A9-47A9-9C9A-096FB3CC1F8E.jpeg
    A26FD7A4-F3A9-47A9-9C9A-096FB3CC1F8E.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 418
  • D82256CD-F2DF-45FF-AEF9-7118FD242AA1.jpeg
    D82256CD-F2DF-45FF-AEF9-7118FD242AA1.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 422
How much of the improved ride would you contribute to the tire change vs. increased size? Can anyone comment on the ride / handling difference between the OEM Goodyear 255/40 20 and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 in the same size (255/40 20). Everyone seems to be in agreement that the OEM tires are lacking in many areas.

I just swapped out to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 on my Y a few days ago and my Wh/mi went from around ~280 to well over 340. I'm assuming there's a break-in period before the efficiency goes closer to normal - roughly how long is the break-in period for these tires?

I installed the slightly oversized Pilot Sport All Seasons last month and have put around 1,400 miles on them. I‘m a fan, I think they look great, there is a noticeable difference in handling, they are quiet (nearly exactly as loud as the Goodyears), they seem to have very little impact of efficiency. The handling difference is stark. The steering feel with the Y has always seemed a bit vague to me and now there is some connection. It’s most noticeable on the initial turn into a curve, the first 5° movement of the wheel seems to yield actual and immediate direction change. I’m stoked on these and will likely use them for the life of the car. They are great in the rain as you would expect. I have not used them in actual snow or ice only slush and sleet and they were fine.

For efficiency, they are slightly- ever so slightly- less- or maybe not. The 265s do 712 revs per mile while the stock 255s do 720- an approx 1% difference. Over the last month the Michelins have run 270 Wh/m over 1394 miles while my life time average on the Goodyears was 264 Wh/m a 2.25% difference. Less the 1% mileage difference and considering those 1400 Michelin miles have been done in weather colder than the lifetime average makes these an efficiency wash for me.

One efficiency caveat- I installed the front mudflaps at the same time I installed the tires since they do stick out a few more mm- so that is a variable I cannot account. Mudflaps very well may improve efficiency- the method would be them creating a turbidity boundary aft of the wheel and this cushion preventing the drag from the vacuum which would otherwise form in that void. That’s 100% speculation but I think that the Goodyears were stretched (narrow and inward tapering) to keep them in the fender’s boundry and the Michelins sit slightly proud and that would be the difference.
Thank you for this! I’m looking at tires now. Just to be clear, your Model Y is not modified at all? I have the

Thank you for this! Just to be clear, your Model Y is not modified at all? Also, I have the Standard Range. No difference there, correct?

Any rubbing when making sharp turns? Do wider tires smooth out the ride?

I just swapped out to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 on my Y a few days ago and my Wh/mi went from around ~280 to well over 340. I'm assuming there's a break-in period before the efficiency goes closer to normal - roughly how long is the break-in period for these tires?
Your efficiency come back? I’m now averaging 277 after 16k miles.

And to answer the other questions/ completely stock suspension on 2020 MY LR inductions, AB. No rubbing or problems and still no curb rash- knock on wood. My wife drives it now which likely explains the Wh/m increase. I drive like a grandmother I’m told.

The Michelin‘s have improved the ride and the handling, especially initial turn in is vastly improved.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae