Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested, but uncertain. I have a refresh (no nose cone) so am considering placement of camera under front license plate. Comments? and I have Air suspension, so it would be helpful to see just how high my lower lip is when I approach parking bumper curbs.
Right now, I'm 75/25 in favor of buying. Will check with my Dash Cam installer to see if he is willing to install this switch.
When you started this - looks like you wanted me to go shopping at several locations to get all the supplies. Do you have this as a "kit" now, with cables and camera at a one-stop shop?
Put me on the "tentative" list

I'm interested, but uncertain. I have a refresh (no nose cone) so am considering placement of camera under front license plate. Comments? and I have Air suspension, so it would be helpful to see just how high my lower lip is when I approach parking bumper curbs.
Right now, I'm 75/25 in favor of buying. Will check with my Dash Cam installer to see if he is willing to install this switch.
When you started this - looks like you wanted me to go shopping at several locations to get all the supplies. Do you have this as a "kit" now, with cables and camera at a one-stop shop?

When I upgraded to a refresh fascia I placed the front camera in the grille. It works great there for enabling one to see curbs and other dangers. Photo of what I see on the touchscreen below.

IMG_1645.JPG

BTW, I expect to have production estimates in a few days. I'm getting estimates for runs of 25, 50, and 100. I have about 50 expressions of interest but I can't rely on those for production rum quantity until I have prices and people can put their money where their mouths are:)

When I upgraded to a refresh fascia I placed the front camera in the grille. It works great there for enabling one to see curbs and other dangers. Photo of what I see on the touchscreen below.

IMG_1645.JPG

I like the view. Where is that "installation" instruction link. Found it once and now lost it. I want to give it to my installer to see if he is up to the challenge. And if you have updated it to have the "refresh" look, that would be great.
You did not answer the Q if you have put all the required parts into a Kit, or still send us out shopping for the various parts.

Last edited:
It's actually pretty easy to install...I think the instructions are very detailed which just make it look difficult. The hardest part for newer cars is locating the reverse signal lead, since that has changed since the original instructions were produced. One person was able to run a wire to the back hatch and tap right off the reverse light. Also, IMHO, getting power from the OBDII port is the easiest way to go instead of finding and tapping a +12v wire in the harness. I've used this product in several different installs to make tapping power simple:

Amazon.com: GPSit OBD II OBD2 Power Adapter Harness: Car Electronics

81%2BPIi61Z4L._SL1500_.jpg

I would be interested -picking up a 2014 CPO Model S in 2 weeks, no parking sensors.. Have you placed this order yet? When will the switches be available?

Mankirk, If you are getting a 2014 Model S, it has parking sensors. Parking sensors first showed up on the Model S in July 2013. All after that have them. But don't let that sway your decision to get this front cam kit. Its absolutely, the best mod you can do on your Model S. I've used it now for 3 years.

I agree with what HankLloydRight, said above. The OBD2 connectors solves two of the three switch connections. Easy, and right where you want to hide the switch. On newer cars its hard to find the reverse signal lead. I'm the person Hank is referring to that ran the lead from the reverse back up light. I connected in the liftgate and ran it forward. Someone could take the time to trace that backup light lead closer to the front of the car and make it easier. But I would do it again and again to get the reverse signal lead connected. Mine works great, every time. I shift to reverse and the rear view comes on. The remote bluetooth handheld unit allows me to swap front to rear and rear to front whenever I wish. I leave my front screen up 95% of the time. I use it for pulling forward and looking where I am going when I drive forward out of my garage. The wide angle view helps me "peep" beyond the garage door/walls and see if something is coming before I pull into the alley. Great benefit. When I shift to R, the rear camera view comes up, and when I go to Park or Drive, it swaps back to front. Wonderful. I don't understand why this is not standard on all cars everywhere for the last 20 years. I didn't know what I didn't know. I didn't know how great this was for safety and preventing damage on any of my cars before this.

Brewcitpizza, Yesterday at 8:12 AM
Will we be able to use the newer less expensive cameras? Might as well replace the back one while I'm at it.
Let me add. I have the $350 rear camera that was the only one available in '14. And I bought the new $78 on that's on the '16 and '17.
When I put the kit on my '17 the $78 camera would not work if I used a cable long enough to install it on the front of the refreshed front. When I used a short cable to test, it worked, but its too short to reach the front. I went back to the $350 camera and it worked. Yes, even though my '17 had the $78 camera on the rear.

So what should folks with newer cars do? I recommend you shop for people parting out wrecked cars and buy one from a '13-'14 S. Start looking now. Get the camera while they are out there. Those $350 versions have been selling for $50 on cars being parted out. Get the camera. If you don't need it later, it will sell for the same $50. I'd buy a spare right now. The newer $78 camera looks a little different and the resolution is better especially low light. Use if if you can.

If you only connect the OBD2 connector to the switch and the video cables to the camera but use just the remote handheld unit to swap the views, ITS WORTH THAT to prevent damage to your car. Its effortless if you can or get someone to connect reverse signal lead per the instructions on the older S's, and from the backup light lead/wire on newer. Discreet, enhances safety and reduces risk of damage. (I don't make a dime for telling you about this.) A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y, the best mod you can do to your S. Nuff said? I hope so.

Last edited:

IMG_1645.JPG

I have this same view on my '17. When I had the camera mounted on my '13, I Goop'ed it to the highest section of the lower grill. It worked fine but I knew the Goop was there. I am OCD about the car.

On the '17, I removed my front license plate mount anyway. I took measurements of the distance between the two odd screws that holds the front license plate mount and drilled 2 holes in a 12 inch x 2 inch x 3/16th inch flat plastic strip to mount in the license plate mount holes on the underside of the grill area. I Goop'ed camera to the plastic plate so it on the strip versus Goop'ed to the car. This has two extra holes. Only used two, but wasn't initially sure where I wanted them.
Camera Mount.JPG

Just got preliminary estimates for 25, 50, and 100 units from the PCB manufacturer (but the estimates were for a board that is not RoHS compliant). These must be RoHS compliant but it looks like the PCB with case will be about $150 - $200. That will vary modestly depending on demand. To that one has to add the cost of a 2nd Tesla rear view camera and the 3 Tesla cables (which have to be ordered from a service center), about another $200.

As Akkiki and HankLloydRight have indicated an OBD2 connector can be used to power the unit and it will be easier to tap the reverse light for the reverse signal.

I'll be approving production in about one week and they should be available 2-3 weeks later.

Here's a Dropbox link to the old install instructions. These look complicated but really aren't and they'll be updated and simplified when the PCB units are ready to ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
You guys have me scared.
Camera Switch = $200
Camera = $78 or $350
Cable from China = $50?
My Installer quote = $350
Front license plate mount = $10?
OBDII and OBD2 power adapter = $40?

So for somewhere around a $grand I get to have a hired hand root around in my treasured sled, gutting it from rear to nose. And the hired hand has never done this and has no skin in the game to not damage my car.
I'm scared that I don't know what parts to buy (new $78 camera does not work if wire is too long...eek)
I'm scared that the gutting will damage something (unintended consequence).

I'm an engineer and have rooted inside many expensive items - but for some reason, gutting my Tesla just has me scared.

I'm hoping that somebody would be willing to shop for all the parts and put them in a fed-ex box to me, along with an idiot proof description that I can hand to a trustworthy installer .

Installing this is no more time consuming or complicated than installing a dashcam. It's nowhere near "gutting it". Sure, a few panels have to come off, but they're made to do that, and pop right back on. There's nothing to be scared about, and it can't be said enough: This *is* the best mod ever for Model S/X. Even at $1000 (which it won't be), it's still worth it. The first time you (or some other driver) doesn't slam into a parking curb and damaging your front bumper, it would have paid for itself several times over.

Front license plate mount = $10?

Not needed.. I used two pieces of 3M Dual Lock fasters- $5 at Home Depot. Never had a problem.

upload_2017-6-30_9-57-54.png

OBDII and OBD2 power adapter = $40?

It's not two different things.. it's a $15 ready-made power plug. The OBDII port is already in the car in the driver's footwell area.

Camera = $78 or $350

It won't be $350 because Tesla doesn't sell them new anymore (I think, I could be wrong). But as mentioned above, find someone parting out a car and get one for $50, tops.

Akikiki,

Thanks for the info. I was told the holes, brackets, etc. to mount parking sensors showed up on the Model S in early 2014, but that not all units got the sensors until about November that year and before that they were options. I think mine - which has the Tech package - rolled off the line in May 2014 and i saw in other posts that listed ranges of VINs that included the sensors and they were after mine. I'll know soon enough when I pick it up on the 7th.

In any case, I agree the front facing camera tied into the 17" display is probably the best enhancement one could make to a Model S, so I remain interested, although I am a little concerned about being a good enough DIY guy to do the install. The electronics don't worry me - it's the auto body work, but I see lots of good advice in these threads and think i can work my way through . I plan on installing a front and rear dashcam DIY-style based on information in these forums as well.

Are you kamaaina or a transplanted haole? I lived in Aiea for 4 years while in the military - great life! Miss the water and all the good Hawaiian traditions.

Mankirk

Mankirk, If you are getting a 2014 Model S, it has parking sensors. Parking sensors first showed up on the Model S in July 2013. All after that have them. But don't let that sway your decision to get this front cam kit. Its absolutely, the best mod you can do on your Model S. I've used it now for 3 years.

I agree with what HankLloydRight, said above. The OBD2 connectors solves two of the three switch connections. Easy, and right where you want to hide the switch. On newer cars its hard to find the reverse signal lead. I'm the person Hank is referring to that ran the lead from the reverse back up light. I connected in the liftgate and ran it forward. Someone could take the time to trace that backup light lead closer to the front of the car and make it easier. But I would do it again and again to get the reverse signal lead connected. Mine works great, every time. I shift to reverse and the rear view comes on. The remote bluetooth handheld unit allows me to swap front to rear and rear to front whenever I wish. I leave my front screen up 95% of the time. I use it for pulling forward and looking where I am going when I drive forward out of my garage. The wide angle view helps me "peep" beyond the garage door/walls and see if something is coming before I pull into the alley. Great benefit. When I shift to R, the rear camera view comes up, and when I go to Park or Drive, it swaps back to front. Wonderful. I don't understand why this is not standard on all cars everywhere for the last 20 years. I didn't know what I didn't know. I didn't know how great this was for safety and preventing damage on any of my cars before this.

Brewcitpizza, Yesterday at 8:12 AM
Will we be able to use the newer less expensive cameras? Might as well replace the back one while I'm at it.
Let me add. I have the $350 rear camera that was the only one available in '14. And I bought the new $78 on that's on the '16 and '17.
When I put the kit on my '17 the $78 camera would not work if I used a cable long enough to install it on the front of the refreshed front. When I used a short cable to test, it worked, but its too short to reach the front. I went back to the $350 camera and it worked. Yes, even though my '17 had the $78 camera on the rear.

So what should folks with newer cars do? I recommend you shop for people parting out wrecked cars and buy one from a '13-'14 S. Start looking now. Get the camera while they are out there. Those $350 versions have been selling for $50 on cars being parted out. Get the camera. If you don't need it later, it will sell for the same $50. I'd buy a spare right now. The newer $78 camera looks a little different and the resolution is better especially low light. Use if if you can.

If you only connect the OBD2 connector to the switch and the video cables to the camera but use just the remote handheld unit to swap the views, ITS WORTH THAT to prevent damage to your car. Its effortless if you can or get someone to connect reverse signal lead per the instructions on the older S's, and from the backup light lead/wire on newer. Discreet, enhances safety and reduces risk of damage. (I don't make a dime for telling you about this.) A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y, the best mod you can do to your S. Nuff said? I hope so.