Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Year Anniversary: Need to take in for maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a breakdown of what’s performed at each interval:

Car Maintenance

Personally, I am only going to do some of the bigger items like brake fluid (which I’d be surprised if it really needed replacing after two years, especially if you’re using regen braking) and battery coolant. Some of the items you can very easily do yourself such as the cabin filter and wiper blades.

The even numbered years should be done. Brake fluid, alignment, and a/c recharging are the important items, as can be seen in the service schedule shown above. Also don’t underestimate the visual check with a trained eye for issues you may not notice until it is too late. Axle seals were replaced at my service; had no idea they were leaking but for sure when I would discover it when it would be off warranty.

Also don’t overlook servicing the brakes; when inspecting mine when swapping winter wheels they were seized at the inside rears which were wearing them out prematurely and costing efficiency. Climate dependent issue of course, but If this is something you cannot do yourself I suggest having your favourite mechanic do this annually, unless one has a 2 year lease and therefore one probably wouldn’t care.

• Informative
Reactions: dcmackintosh
Here’s a breakdown of what’s performed at each interval:

Car Maintenance

Personally, I am only going to do some of the bigger items like brake fluid (which I’d be surprised if it really needed replacing after two years, especially if you’re using regen braking) and battery coolant. Some of the items you can very easily do yourself such as the cabin filter and wiper blades.

I haven’t seen this newer schedule. A few months ago I was having the discussion at the service centre about the coolant change interval and they showed me a sheet from the mothership stating a recent change from a 4 yr 80000 to a 10 years 150000 km interval. Now it says 4 yr for nose cone model S’. With the refresh comes a newer longer lasting coolant? Looks like I’m due for a coolant change.

It is not a bad idea to have an experienced tech take a look underneath your car every year or so, to check for items then have seen needing service on other Tesla. Also plug in a diagnostic to check all the electrical stuff.

The listed service items seem expensive to me, but it is the inspection I am really after.

Reactions: fmm
Would you recommend that I take my Model S in for service/maintenance? I did take her in around the 1st anniversary.
How much do you think it'll cost me, and what will they do?
Thank you!!

I'm trying to decide if service is justified. My MS is approaching 2 yrs on a 3 yr lease and has 9K miles. It is not driven Jan-May, avoiding snow/winter. I'm a diy guy so can inspect/replace wiper blades and cabin filter (no HEPA), plus look for brake fluid leaks.

My local trusted tire store will inspect tires for rotation / potential alignment at 12K mi.

AC is cold and periodically turns on for battery so doubt service is needed. But I wonder if replacing desiccant is an easy diy project.

The local SC wants $650-950 to complete this work (extra $300 is for alignment if needed). IMHO, their prices are much too high. Is there any other preventative maintenance that wont break the bank?

Please give me a second opinion.

I'm trying to decide if service is justified. My MS is approaching 2 yrs on a 3 yr lease and has 9K miles. It is not driven Jan-May, avoiding snow/winter. I'm a diy guy so can inspect/replace wiper blades and cabin filter (no HEPA), plus look for brake fluid leaks.

My local trusted tire store will inspect tires for rotation / potential alignment at 12K mi.

AC is cold and periodically turns on for battery so doubt service is needed. But I wonder if replacing desiccant is an easy diy project.

The local SC wants $650-950 to complete this work (extra $300 is for alignment if needed). IMHO, their prices are much too high. Is there any other preventative maintenance that wont break the bank?

Please give me a second opinion.

The A/C is the only thing I would do; a little early for brake fluid change. No, changing the desiccant filter is not a DIY project. Read this thread for some more info on that:

Tesla Changes Service Requirements - 3rd and 4th Year No Longer Needed?

All that was done for real was gearbox oil at 100k. It's never been in for anything at 138k. I got new motor at 132k.
$600 for nothing. One guy on here changed his own gearbox oil. Only problems I have had is the tiny gear in window mechanism broke. I fixed all of those. My SC checks everything when it's in. They even measure thread thickness and add air if needed.