Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2tb SSD partitions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 TB is so overkill! The most important aspects are the drive be rated as high endurance and high speed. As to sizes:

Lightshow - a "big" show is maybe 25 MBs. So 50 shows at 25 MBs each = 1.25 GBs. But you cannot access different shows from the car as you need to move the show you want to use into a folder called "Lightshow." Therefore, you could keep the shows on your computer instead. Even with all the shows on the card, 5 GB should be overkill.

Boombox - minimal, just need a few meg so 1 GB would be overkill

Music - depends on the size of your collection. If you have 128 GB of music then that is your answer. Of course add some additional space for more music.

TeslaCam - The biggest variable here are the Sentry clips. If you keep a lot of them you will eat up a lots of space. But are you really going to look through 100+ GB of clips?

My advice: based on just a 512GB card, I would go with 5 GB for LightShow, 1 GB for Boombox, 256 GB for Music, and the remaining 250 GB for TeslaCam (Sentry), which totals way less than 2 TBs.

I think it’s a partition called TESLASTEAM but I believe you have to use the built in format tool to get it because it encrypts it (likely required by the steam api/license). I need to play with this; debating trying to install on a smaller drive and then dd copy the partition table to a bigger drive to see if we can “shoehorn” it to a smaller than drivesize-64gb.

I have tried using one drive for all of the systems. Lightshow needs it's own drive. While you can put and unlimited number of shows on the drive (size of the drive is the only limit) it needs to be it's own drive. I have tried to partition a drive for Sentry on one partition, music on another and LightShow on yet another... Lightshow won't load all the shows, it only list the three built in ones. Maybe a future update will include lightshow for the same drive as TeslaCam and Music... As far as size is concerned, ask ANY women!

I have tried using one drive for all of the systems. Lightshow needs it's own drive. While you can put and unlimited number of shows on the drive (size of the drive is the only limit) it needs to be it's own drive. I have tried to partition a drive for Sentry on one partition, music on another and LightShow on yet another... Lightshow won't load all the shows, it only list the three built in ones. Maybe a future update will include lightshow for the same drive as TeslaCam and Music... As far as size is concerned, ask ANY women!

Nope, only the Tesla Cam (and Sentry) requires its own partition, the rest can be located together on a single partition in individual folders as long as they are folders in the root. Also, check this out:

ONE USB FOR ALL CUSTOM TESLA LIGHT SHOWS​