Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting SSD for Steam limits dashcam/sentry partition to 64GB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem. Some commenters do not know how Steam on Tesla Model S/X works, so here's some additional information. When installing Steam on your Tesla, it repartitions the whole physical drive into two partitions, making the first 64GB partition for sentry and the other encrypted so Windows Partition Manager (or whatever on Linux/Mac) can not resize or access. I can't even assign a drive letter to the Steam partition on Windows, so I can't see any content there.

The original poster wanted to increase the size of the sentry partition. I want more space in the sentry partition so I can place music files there, but 64GB is not enough for me.

I didn't think you could put music on the Sentry partition, doesn't it require its own drive/partition?
Yeah, @MP3Mike may be right. I had two-partitioned USB stick before, each for sentry and music. Now that Steam make only two partitions and doesn't allow me to modify the partition size, I have no idea how I can coexist Steam, music and sentry on one physical SSD.

This is such an annoyance! I really wish they'd allow for more than just the two partitions, especially considering you need a separate partition for music, sentry, boombox and the light-show. I was hoping to at least be able to split the TeslaCam partition after the fact, but that's not an option either which also probably rules out resizing the partitions from within Steam.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to do so by creating the separate partitions first, encrypting them or using some method of masking the extra partitions so that the Tesla/Steam only sees the 'target' partition for Steam; basically using their own trick on them....

Any help in what I need to do to my 2T drive would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to create partitions, or leave it as is, (Tesla made the one) (Image shows original 128 GB Tesla usb, and my 2TB Samsung T9.
128gb Tesla drive.png

Any help in what I need to do to my 2T drive would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to create partitions, or leave it as is, (Tesla made the one) (Image shows original 128 GB Tesla usb, and my 2TB Samsung T9.
View attachment 1039363
It depends on what you’re after. If all you need is Sentry and a partition for Steam, the Samsung T9 you have will work for both; you do not need the Tesla 128gb drive and having both plugged in may cause issues.

It depends on what you’re after. If all you need is Sentry and a partition for Steam, the Samsung T9 you have will work for both; you do not need the Tesla 128gb drive and having both plugged in may cause issues.
I definitely was not going to do both, I was only showing the 128GB drive because my Tesla formatted it to a 120 GB exFat partition, BUT then when I put in the 2TB Samsung T9, my tesla formatted it to just 60GB exFat. (both drives were NOT in the car at the same time). So how do I format the T9 knowing I will be taking out the stock tesla 132gb drive?

I definitely was not going to do both, I was only showing the 128GB drive because my Tesla formatted it to a 120 GB exFat partition, BUT then when I put in the 2TB Samsung T9, my tesla formatted it to just 60GB exFat. (both drives were NOT in the car at the same time). So how do I format the T9 knowing I will be taking out the stock tesla 132gb drive?
If you formatted the T9 using the Steam app in the Tesla, you should be all set. You will only see the 60GB partition in Windows as it’s an encrypted Linux partition.

When you are running Steam and installing games, you’ll be able to pick where to install them; choose the larger partition. Occasionally, Steam may not mount the drive, shutting down Steam and relaunching seems to fix it.

Reactions: ill_smo_q