Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2x PW Output... Is 13kW the max?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Just trying to get a sanity check here regarding output for (2) PW's, one being the PW+. I've never seen the output go beyond 13kW.. is that the limit no matter how many PW's are in the solution? thanks for any help.

PW_perf_.jpg

This screenshot does not show 13kW output from your powerwalls.. it shows 10.3kW output from your powerwalls. To see "max" you would need to have your home load such that even with solar + powerwall output, you are still drawing from the grid, and in this screenshot you arent.

Perhaps you have another screenshot that shows what you are asking?

This screenshot does not show 13kW output from your powerwalls.. it shows 10.3kW output from your powerwalls. To see "max" you would need to have your home load such that even with solar + powerwall output, you are still drawing from the grid, and in this screenshot you arent.

Perhaps you have another screenshot that shows what you are asking?
Ah ya... correct.. the PW putting out 10.3 and PV 2.7.. but I've never seen any total above 13 kW.

Ah ya... correct.. the PW putting out 10.3 and PV 2.7.. but I've never seen any total above 13 kW.

I am sorry if I am being dense, but... total of "what" exactly over 13kW? Right now, we are looking at your house load. Whether your house load goes higher than 13kW doesnt have much of anything to do with the solar + the powerwalls.

Powerwall 2s provide 5kW each of power. Powerwall + might provide a bit more than that. Then you have whatever your inverter is. There is no "powerwall equipment" max of 13kW, but if you have an inverter thats 3.X size, and the sun angle is what it is now, your particular home might have a max around that.

I am sorry if I am being dense, but... total of "what" exactly over 13kW? Right now, we are looking at your house load. Whether your house load goes higher than 13kW doesnt have much of anything to do with the solar + the powerwalls.

Powerwall 2s provide 5kW each of power. Powerwall + might provide a bit more than that. Then you have whatever your inverter is. There is no "powerwall equipment" max of 13kW, but if you have an inverter thats 3.X size, and the sun angle is what it is now, your particular home might have a max around that.
Good point. .what if my house never draws more than 13kW?? then I'd never see a number larger than this. This is the highest draw I've ever seen since installation...even when my tesla is charging off a 60A circuit. My house usual draws between 1-2kW, so when adding the Tesla charger (max 11.5 kW), which brings me to this 13kW total draw... so your statement is right.. maybe there's just never been a demand to draw more. I guess I can test this by charging my car and getting to the 13kW level and then running a hair dryer/microwave (which I will), but what I was trying to understand prior to testing, is if this 13kW number is the output ceiling regarding a (2) PW, Tesla Inverter, and Tesla Backup Gateway 2 configuration.

Good point. .what if my house never draws more than 13kW?? then I'd never see a number larger than this. This is the highest draw I've ever seen since installation...even when my tesla is charging off a 60A circuit. My house usual draws between 1-2kW, so when adding the Tesla charger (max 11.5 kW), which brings me to this 13kW total draw... so your statement is right.. maybe there's just never been a demand to draw more. I guess I can test this by charging my car and getting to the 13kW level and then running a hair dryer/microwave (which I will), but what I was trying to understand prior to testing, is if this 13kW number is the output ceiling regarding a (2) PW, Tesla Inverter, and Tesla Backup Gateway 2 configuration.

Start charging your car, and turn on your AC if your home has it.