Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had a PW+ inverter fail and now finally (6 months later) I have 2 inverters (PW+ & PV45)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like many on here have experienced inverter clipping on my 10.4 kW system due to the one 7.7 kW inverter. That inverter failed back on 7/1/23 after it's first summer in use. I was able to get Tesla to fix the failed PW+ and install a 2nd inverter (PV45). Of course Tesla refused to pay for the 2nd inverter and wouldn't even split the cost w me 50/50.

Now that I have 2 inverters does anyone know if I can create a separate account and put the new PV45 on that account? This way I will be able to see productivity from each of the 2 inverters.

I realize it all goes to one meter, but the reason I would like the PV45 on it's own account is so I can see it's production alone. I am under the impression when the tech was here to move one of the 4 strings off the failed inverter and place it on the new PV45 that he moved the wrong string.

I have 4 arrays (1x5, 1x6, 1x7, 1x8). They were supposed to move the array with 8 pannels to the PV45 but I believe they moved 1x7. The reason I say is I have a copy of the original plans that show 1x8 in position #2 on the PW+ and I can clearly see that position #3 is what was moved.

Of course I told Tesla and send them a picture and they gave me a bunch of crap and started talking about how clouds affect solar. Their support (at least Tier 1) are absolute monkeys.

Any advice or experience on creating a separate account would be appreciated. I know others on here (tomuo) have mentioned they have this and swipe right or left to see the separate accounts. This is exactly what I am after!

Thanks very much all!

Tesla app will show separate accounts for separate gateways. These are completely independent systems (solar panels / inverters / batteries) used when users have multiple homes or if they have service that exceeds 200A (the max supported by the gateway).

However, since you have a PW+ you can get the detailed production for each string on the PW+ inverter by connecting to your gateway. You can use the Tesla Pros app for that. If you add up those 3 strings up and subtract from your total production for both inverters (which is what I assume your app shows), you can isolate the PV45 production.

Finally, I don't think the 1x7 vs 1x8 string is consequential in your case, both would effectively avoid clipping in your PW+ inverter. What is the problem you're trying to solve?

Tesla app will show separate accounts for separate gateways. These are completely independent systems (solar panels / inverters / batteries) used when users have multiple homes or if they have service that exceeds 200A (the max supported by the gateway).

However, since you have a PW+ you can get the detailed production for each string on the PW+ inverter by connecting to your gateway. You can use the Tesla Pros app for that. If you add up those 3 strings up and subtract from your total production for both inverters (which is what I assume your app shows), you can isolate the PV45 production.

Finally, I don't think the 1x7 vs 1x8 string is consequential in your case, both would effectively avoid clipping in your PW+ inverter. What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Thanks very much for your response and I appreciate your advice about the gateway and gathering details. I will try that.

To answer your question I’m trying to see the production from each of the two inverters in a simple way.
When the tech left he actually left it with two accounts. I’ll send a screenshot. This allowed me to see each of the two inverters PW+ and PV45. I could see Solar graph from each as well.
I’m trying to get back to this same configuration in the app.
It’s honestly my fault because I noticed my production was spread across to accounts so when I asked Tesla support about it they instantly said it shouldn’t be that way and removed what was the duplicate account.
After some thought I realized this would have been better to be able to see each separately so I’m trying to get back to that state.

Attachments

• IMG_6431.png
    IMG_6431.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6429.png
    IMG_6429.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6430.png
    IMG_6430.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6432.png
    IMG_6432.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6433.png
    IMG_6433.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 22
I used the Tesla Pro app to log onto the PV45 and separately the Gateway.

On the PV45 it appears as though the energy is going directly to the grid and not my home at all (see pic). Whereas the Gateway shows Solar sending energy to my home

Also I can see where the PV45 inverter is under an account that says “My Home” which I can no longer see in my normal Tesla app bc Tesla Tier 1 support archived it.

My app only shows the “Via La Ventana” account and production.

Attachments

• IMG_6513.png
    IMG_6513.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6511.png
    IMG_6511.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 29
I think the thing you need to figure out is if the "Via La Ventana" solar generation is the total of all solar (ie. measured with CTs) or it is only the one solar inverter. In theory, the Grid quantity tied to the Powerwall should be the real Grid flow unless it is measured in the Gateway and the separate solar inverter is actually wired to a breaker outside the Gateway. I suppose the other way to figure this out is to cut all loads and see if the "Home" quantity tied to the Powerwall goes negative or has an exclamation point when there is solar generation. That would mean that the separate solar is not measured as solar but is being measured by the Grid CTs.

Thanks for your reply. I agree w you in that I’m trying to determine if all production is going to that Via La Ventana account or not. My suspicion is it’s not.
I can see production across MP 1,2,4 and what was position 3 now moved to position 1 on the PV45 which shows under “My Home” but instead of having two accounts and I could swipe right or left to see the production of each inverter - now that’s only visible through the Pro app.

Here’s screen shot from the Pro app

Attachments

• IMG_6522.png
    IMG_6522.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6523.png
    IMG_6523.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 26
I plan to ask Tesla to remove the PV45 from my current account and I will see if it allows me to add it to a “new account”. When I tried currently it comes back and says it’s already active. No surprise there. I’m simply trying to get it back to the way things were when the tech left.
My fault for reaching out to Tesla support. That made matters much worse

I think the thing you need to figure out is if the "Via La Ventana" solar generation is the total of all solar (ie. measured with CTs) or it is only the one solar inverter. In theory, the Grid quantity tied to the Powerwall should be the real Grid flow unless it is measured in the Gateway and the separate solar inverter is actually wired to a breaker outside the Gateway. I suppose the other way to figure this out is to cut all loads and see if the "Home" quantity tied to the Powerwall goes negative or has an exclamation point when there is solar generation. That would mean that the separate solar is not measured as solar but is being measured by the Grid CTs.
Can you please elaborate on this more? I do have the Tesla Pro app and have logged into each of the two inverters, but what's challenging is I have no idea what I'm looking for and where to find it.

Do you please have any step-by-step directions you can mention? I will follow them and provide screenshots of the results. Thanks very much!!

Can you please elaborate on this more? I do have the Tesla Pro app and have logged into each of the two inverters, but what's challenging is I have no idea what I'm looking for and where to find it.

Do you please have any step-by-step directions you can mention? I will follow them and provide screenshots of the results. Thanks very much!!
You need to figure out the where things are connected first. They added an inverter - where is its breaker connected? Do you have solar CTs or is all the solar production reported digitally? If you have the original "one line diagram" of your electrical installation, it would be useful to mark up where the new inverter is connected.

I don't have any Tesla inverters, so I'm not well versed in how they are set up. I have an old Powerwall system with Gen1 Gateway and Enphase inverters and have never used the Tesla Pros app, even though I have downloaded it on my phone.

The pv45 requires a CT so the gateway knows what it is producing, so I think you have two CT’s for each inverter. Post picture of you gateway with front off.
I have a 3.8 tesla inverter and a enphase system, I asked for separate CT for each inverter and am able to monitor with powerwall dashboard. This may be a solution for you to.
My tesla array is north, so I hardly get anything this time of year. I’m also able to mine data from my non backed up loads panel to.
IMG_1010.jpeg

There is a section in Tesla pro’s showing the CT for load and solar. Post screen shots of those.

Update:

I was able to reach someone in Support that would listen to me.

I also discovered that the first screen showing the “house” collects real-time solar energy production however the “solar” screen that shows the graph only collects the amount off ONE inverter. I know this because I could see the discrepancy. I’ll post screen shots.

Ultimately Tesla created a second account for me and placed the new PV45 into its own account. Now I can see graphs individually whereas before I couldn’t see the graph from the PV45 at all.

Thanks for the help gents!

Attachments

• IMG_6564.png
    IMG_6564.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6566.png
    IMG_6566.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6567.png
    IMG_6567.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
These are the pictures that proved how the first screen shows the total (real-time) production but the graph on the solar screen were showing only the PW+ production and nothing for the PV45.
This is either a flaw with the app or I’m beginning to believe an issue with “how” the PV45 was installed/added to my system.

Attachments

• IMG_6558.png
    IMG_6558.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6559.png
    IMG_6559.png
    118 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: miimura
The pv45 requires a CT so the gateway knows what it is producing, so I think you have two CT’s for each inverter. Post picture of you gateway with front off.
I have a 3.8 tesla inverter and a enphase system, I asked for separate CT for each inverter and am able to monitor with powerwall dashboard. This may be a solution for you to.
My tesla array is north, so I hardly get anything this time of year. I’m also able to mine data from my non backed up loads panel to.
View attachment 1003182
Thanks very much for your reply and your help. I will get the pics and post them. On a side note do you think the current resolution I described above will suffice? I can now see the solar production from each (individual) inverter. That's basically what I was seeking.
What I'm not concerned about is that the new 2nd 3.8 inverter is just connected to my electric meter and that energy is not going towards my Powerwalls or my house for that matter.
The reason I say is the only energy showing in the Tesla app that's going toward the house and PWs is from the larger Tesla inverter. The smaller inverter's energy appears to be going straight back to the grid

If your utility meter and the "Grid" quantity in the app agree, then when the grid is up, you will still be able to charge your Powerwalls from solar and have an accurate and well zeroed grid draw when the batteries are trying to run Self Powered. It's just a matter of having things measured and configured properly.