Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-pin charging with extension lead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have been using this on a daily basis for the same needs as you. You do need a special cable to handle the high amps going through, otherwise your fuse will trip. A normal one will not work!

This is not quite accurate. Part of the problem is that a normal extension will work ... but it could be working in a potentially unsafe way, without the user realising it. The 10 amps that the UMC draws is within specification for a household circuit so it will not normally cause a fuse or MCB to trip. Its not the number of amps it's the fact that it will be drawing those amps for hours at a time. The amps drawn is no higher than for a normal kettle, it's just the time factor that allows heat to build up. Telsa specifically advises that extensions should be not used with the UMC ... but ... if you know what you are doing, it is safe to use an extension if it is of a suitable specification and remains uncoiled during charging.

Reactions: Jason71
I have a very nice set of cables from Tough Leads. Mines the ModuleEV with 3 x 10m sections, UK / Euro / IEC 16a plug going into UK/IEC 16a connector.
Also useful when camping, as they're IEC

With the UK plug extension, I normally leave it under the car so it won't get wet from direct rain.

You are not wrong but based on what experts have said on other threads until you go over 10-15 metres a 1.5mm2 core should be fine and going bigger will not make any real difference. After that 2.5mm2 would be advised. Personally I charged with 30meter high quality 2.5mm cable plugged into a brand new outdoor socket. for a week all night every night on holiday last year and it was 100% fine. no heat. no issues.
You need to calculate the voltage drops, but by my calculation you're (Just) within specification even with 40m of 1.5mm2 and the 7m of 4mm2 of the MCU at a 10a load.

I have a very nice set of cables from Tough Leads. Mines the ModuleEV with 3 x 10m sections, UK / Euro / IEC 16a plug going into UK/IEC 16a connector.
Also useful when camping, as they're IEC

With the UK plug extension, I normally leave it under the car so it won't get wet from direct rain.
What worries me about toughleads is they sell some potentially unsafe leads including schuko to 3pin plug which if used as an adapter for charging using the schuko plug will cause heat build up and issues, potentially a fire. Their warning is inadequate saying ‘max 13a’ which happens to be the schuko charge current, they should really say ‘10a max continuous’ given they target the EV market. It’s not massively relevant here, but I do question the ethics of a company who do this given a lot of people don’t really understand electrics and if the plug fits, they assume it’s ok.

Hi, I have been using this on a daily basis for the same needs as you. You do need a special cable to handle the high amps going through, otherwise your fuse will trip. A normal one will not work!

This one works well and have had no issues with this cable.

Just bought and used this last night. Worked a treat

Reactions: jamesp26 and Binlo
What worries me about toughleads is they sell some potentially unsafe leads including schuko to 3pin plug which if used as an adapter for charging using the schuko plug will cause heat build up and issues, potentially a fire. Their warning is inadequate saying ‘max 13a’ which happens to be the schuko charge current, they should really say ‘10a max continuous’ given they target the EV market. It’s not massively relevant here, but I do question the ethics of a company who do this given a lot of people don’t really understand electrics and if the plug fits, they assume it’s ok.
When I've talked to them, they've always been clear with me. For example I have a 16a female on my extension system, and they were clear that the onus was on my to downrate to 10a if feeding from a UK plug, or 13a from a European Schuko (Which is 16a, 13a continuous). They'll also install RCDs on longer leads, even if the utility is questionable...