Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

31A charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a chargedev kaluza smart "charger" connector installed and it's showing as charging at 31/31A on the screen rather than going up to 32A.
Not too fussed but just curious why it only goes up to 31A and not 32A?
Voltage hovers about 235V and says 28 mph charging.

Also the screen says 16A even when it's charging at 31/31A and I haven't increased it up?

I don't know anything about this system but I gather you have bought EVSE from this company which telemeters info to a central computer. The EVSE tells the car how much charge it can have. I assume the reason you see 31/31 is because the EVSE, instructed by the central computer told the car that's how much it can have.

Why has it told the car 31A instead of 32? From my limited understanding of what this system does it seems it looks at more than just your system i.e. it tries to determine what is "best" for the network, not just you. It may be trimming your allocation for the good of the nation, whatever it thinks that may be.

Last edited:
Just had a chargedev kaluza smart "charger" connector installed and it's showing as charging at 31/31A on the screen rather than going up to 32A.
Not too fussed but just curious why it only goes up to 31A and not 32A?
Voltage hovers about 235V and says 28 mph charging.

Also the screen says 16A even when it's charging at 31/31A and I haven't increased it up?

Not sure but I have charged at a public charger and it would stop charging if set at 32A but at 31A it would charge fine tried several times...

Strange. I would guess it’s a “feature” of the charger? Perhaps ask the manufacturer?

Don’t be too worried - my Tesla Charger does ramp up to 32A, but still only adds 28 miles of range per hour.

Have asked the manufacturer so will see what they say but it's supposed to be up to 32A like a normal charger.

Here's the key phrase from their (otherwise most uniformative) website:

"Set the time you want your car ready by each day and leave the rest to us, we will optimise your charging to give your [sic] the most carbon efficient charging possible."

Which says that they are gathering info from the utilities in your region and from other consumers of electricity (including cars) and deciding how much to apportion to you in order that you have your car charged by the time you said you wanted it charged but with the least system wide impact WRT carbon emission. For example, and a crude one, lets say there are so many cars wanting to charge at a particular time that the utility would have to bring on an extra gas turbine to cover this peak load. Analysis shows that if the charging load could be trimmed by 3% that wouldn't be necessary so they send commands out to all the EVSE to shave 3% off their allocation to each car. 97% of 32 amps, the maximum your EVSE can handle, is 31 A and so your EVSE commands the car to draw 31 A.

Here's the key phrase from their (otherwise most uniformative) website:

"Set the time you want your car ready by each day and leave the rest to us, we will optimise your charging to give your [sic] the most carbon efficient charging possible."

Which says that they are gathering info from the utilities in your region and from other consumers of electricity (including cars) and deciding how much to apportion to you in order that you have your car charged by the time you said you wanted it charged but with the least system wide impact WRT carbon emission. For example, and a crude one, lets say there are so many cars wanting to charge at a particular time that the utility would have to bring on an extra gas turbine to cover this peak load. Analysis shows that if the charging load could be trimmed by 3% that wouldn't be necessary so they send commands out to all the EVSE to shave 3% off their allocation to each car. 97% of 32 amps, the maximum your EVSE can handle, is 31 A and so your EVSE commands the car to draw 31 A.

Don't think that's correct as there is also a full speed boost button which was also the same rate limited to 31A

I've just had an Elvi charger installed. It's only operating in dumb mode at present (issues with internet connection), but in playing with the setup program, I noticed it had a min/max current setting. Maybe yours does too?