Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all new owner here, sorry if a stupid question but have had a search around but couldnt find an answer to this.. I have had a new Model Y Long Range for a month and a few weeks ago got a Tesla wall charger installed (properly, by a good local company recommended by the local Tesla dealership, they did all the proper install, sourced the charger from the Tesla dealer. Home fuse is 80amp rated). I assume its the Gen 3, they say its 7Kwh and it has a max output of 32A which is what the car says its able to take on the App. I'm on Intelligent Octopus now but was on Octopus Go previously and had the same issue which is that it never charges at more than 4Kwh. Am I missing something, at that rate even on Intelligent Octopus with 6 hours cheap charging it would only put 6x4 = 24Kwh in to the car which is about 1/3 of its capacity. It doesnt seem to matter if I'm charging from 20% or 60%. Is this just how it is or should I expect more and if so do I get the installers back in or talk to Tesla or is Octopus throttling it? Again apologies if a numpty question! This is a brave new world for me. Thanks for any sage advice.

Hello all new owner here, sorry if a stupid question but have had a search around but couldnt find an answer to this.. I have had a new Model Y Long Range for a month and a few weeks ago got a Tesla wall charger installed (properly, by a good local company recommended by the local Tesla dealership, they did all the proper install, sourced the charger from the Tesla dealer. Home fuse is 80amp rated). I assume its the Gen 3, they say its 7Kwh and it has a max output of 32A which is what the car says its able to take on the App. I'm on Intelligent Octopus now but was on Octopus Go previously and had the same issue which is that it never charges at more than 4Kwh. Am I missing something, at that rate even on Intelligent Octopus with 6 hours cheap charging it would only put 6x4 = 24Kwh in to the car which is about 1/3 of its capacity. It doesnt seem to matter if I'm charging from 20% or 60%. Is this just how it is or should I expect more and if so do I get the installers back in or talk to Tesla or is Octopus throttling it? Again apologies if a numpty question! This is a brave new world for me. Thanks for any sage advice.
The car can charge at 7KW continuously from 0 upto 99%. It is only DC charging where the rate drops off with state of charge.
What does it show in the app /car while charging and can it be increased . There are two numbers like 16/16 or 16/32 if it shows 16/16 that means the car is set to accept only 16amps. if it shows 16/32 then that means the car is set to accept 32 but is only being offered 16.

If its 16/16 then increase it in the car/app
if its 16/32 then there is an issue with the charger and it is only set to output 16amps. It may be it is set up incorrectly

Try putting the car on charge for a few mins at a time when you can monitor it and see what it says on the app, does it say 16/16 (this would indicate that the charger is limiting the charge) or 16/32 (you should be able to increase the charge rate using the box below the charge tip on the phone app).

I've found that my car remembers if I throttled the charging back the last time I used a charger at that location, so whenever I plug in at work it always charges at 29A even though 30A is the max that I could increase it to. I have it set to 30A at home as the charger trips out if I try to do 32A continuously - I know I could have got the installer back but I hardly used it for the first year so didn't realise for ages :oops:

Try putting the car on charge for a few mins at a time when you can monitor it and see what it says on the app, does it say 16/16 (this would indicate that the charger is limiting the charge) or 16/32 (you should be able to increase the charge rate using the box below the charge tip on the phone app).

I've found that my car remembers if I throttled the charging back the last time I used a charger at that location, so whenever I plug in at work it always charges at 29A even though 30A is the max that I could increase it to. I have it set to 30A at home as the charger trips out if I try to do 32A continuously - I know I could have got the installer back but I hardly used it for the first year so didn't realise for ages :oops:
Yes have had a go at that and it shows a max of 32A on the App then if I plug in it goes up to 32/32 as it charges. Maybe I need to run it like that during the day and see if it ever goes over 4kW, certainly overnight it seems to peak at 3.9kWh each 30 min slot.

The car can charge at 7KW continuously from 0 upto 99%. It is only DC charging where the rate drops off with state of charge.
What does it show in the app /car while charging and can it be increased . There are two numbers like 16/16 or 16/32 if it shows 16/16 that means the car is set to accept only 16amps. if it shows 16/32 then that means the car is set to accept 32 but is only being offered 16.

If its 16/16 then increase it in the car/app
if its 16/32 then there is an issue with the charger and it is only set to output 16amps. It may be it is set up incorrectly
It definitely goes up to 32/32 when I plug it in during the day

Yes have had a go at that and it shows a max of 32A on the App then if I plug in it goes up to 32/32 as it charges. Maybe I need to run it like that during the day and see if it ever goes over 4kW, certainly overnight it seems to peak at 3.9kWh each 30 min slot.
In which case that would be my next move, to try charging it for an hour and keep an eye on it. I have to run at 16A on my Mum's charger (might be a zappi) as it keeps cycling between 16 and 32A, her car doesn't have that problem so she doesn't feel the need to fix it and I'm only up there a couple of times a year. I suspect some sort of grounding issue.

You are looking at the usage over only half an hour. 3.9kwh in 30 minutes equals a usage of 7.8kw in an hour or 7.8kwh. So that means its working fine.
You are mixing up KW and KWH. an energy usage of 3.9kwh over 30 minutes requires a charge rate of 7.8kw of power.

Where are you getting the information that it’s only charging at 4kw if the car is saying 32/32?

certainly overnight it seems to peak at 3.9kWh each 30 min slot.
He is getting it from the smart meter readings.
see my post above. the whole thing is a confusion between kw and kwh. His charger is working fine