Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$326 (inc tax) for Homelink AND it's not a S/W upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So bizarre that not only do they not include this most basic tech feature every car in the world has but they are charging $326 and it's not even a simple software upgrade? It's an actual piece of hardware that only Tesla service can install? What a hassle! Sorry for venting, I'm just extremely surprised on all fronts.

Reactions: Mod3Update
So bizarre that not only do they not include this most basic tech feature every car in the world has but they are charging $326 and it's not even a simple software upgrade? It's an actual piece of hardware that only Tesla service can install? What a hassle! Sorry for venting, I'm just extremely surprised on all fronts.
Yes, it’s frustrating (and a hassle), but they can install it during a Mobile Servie visit. All the previous Teslas I had (Model S,X,3) had it preinstalled. Currently Tesla does not include it with the Model 3&Y. I had pre-purchased the HomeLink Kit and had it ready before I received my Model Y. As soon as I had the Model Y, I scheduled a Mobile Service visit to install it.

I had mine installed this week - while $326 or so showed up in the service record for approval, nothing was actually charged. They did not code my existing remote (per present protocols) but it's a simple thing to do yourselves.
I received mine 2 months before the car arrived (took less than a week to arrive). When they installed it, they offered to set up the garage codes, but I decided to do it myself, since I have done this so many times.

It would be nice if they offered an option an option to install 2 HomeLink modules to control up to 6 devices.

It does seem a bit petty to charge $300 for an option most people will want and should just come standard on $60K car. On the upside, it does give you a chance to try out the Tesla Mobile service. I had the Ranger fix a couple of minor issues while he was out to install the Homelink. First time I spoke with a Tesla employee after the no contact pickup of the car last month. Takes about 30 minutes to install and doesn't require the removal of the front bumper which is something they have to do for the Model 3.

I think it should be an install option at configuration rather than a retrofit, but I can see why Tesla is making it an option. First Homelink is being challenged with various wi-fi based systems so may not be need by everyone, and secondly Tesla adds to Homelink with the automatic open and close feature which is great.

Yes, definitely think they should had included this as a standard. My 2009 Honda Accord had it and that car was half the price of the MY. They said most people dont' use it is the reason they don't come standard anymore, i am not so sure about that. I would think at least over 50% of owner has a garage because of home charging. I am holding off buying it now hoping they will update for wifi enabled opening and closing garage since Elon did tweeted about it before.

Yeah, to me, its one of those options that if preordered, should be added to the car prior to delivery. But I get that would slow down deliveries and thus reported car sales for the period.

I'm guessing that Homelink charges Tesla for every little sw box/module that is installed, regardless of whether it's needed/used. And not all folks need/want it. I'm starting to see quite a few Model 3's parked in the street overnight in our community.

Yes, definitely think they should had included this as a standard. My 2009 Honda Accord had it and that car was half the price of the MY. They said most people dont' use it is the reason they don't come standard anymore, i am not so sure about that. I would think at least over 50% of owner has a garage because of home charging. I am holding off buying it now hoping they will update for wifi enabled opening and closing garage since Elon did tweeted about it before.

In California (where there are clearly at lot of Teslas) garages are often NOT used for cars. I would bet Tesla has the data on usage rate of Homelink from when it was standard. I would not be at all surprised if it turns out to be single digits. Clearly for a chunk of the customer base it is irrelevant, they don't have a garage door they need opened. People don't set the clocks on their microwaves and that's normally much easier that programming Homelink. To program Homelink you need an existing garage door opener. Quite likely that opener was already programmed for their door so that person has to be motivated to program Homelink on their car. Also, almost certainly, Homelink was charging for every module installed even it wasn't activated. This makes the current situation logical even though it is annoying to those of us that like having Homelink.

Reactions: MP3Mike
OK, thanks. I ordered it but now I have to wait for it to even arrive which some other folks have stated takes a while. *sigh*
Be aware that if you open the Homelink box, Tesla will not install it even though you've effectively paid for the installation. They require a sealed box to proceed with installation. It's printed on orange stickers in fairly large letters on the top and bottom of the package so hard to miss.

I just got my VIN and ordered it, mine came in at $318.

But why couldn’t Tesla offer it as an option. Probably 90% of all new Tesla are ordered. Same for a heated steering wheel, bundle it with a Cold Weather package for folks that need/want it. The folks that don’t aren’t affected. Their are some things the “old school” manufactures do that Tesla could adapt and still retain their core values.

It’s not straight forward but for any of you home automation fans there are ways to accomplish garage door opening upon arrival. Been working for us for sometime now. Garage door opens, garage entry door (into house) unlocks and lighting scene sets depending on time of day. Google can help with details. Cheaper than $3XX, just tell Siri to close when leaving.

Be aware that if you open the Homelink box, Tesla will not install it even though you've effectively paid for the installation. They require a sealed box to proceed with installation. It's printed on orange stickers in fairly large letters on the top and bottom of the package so hard to miss.

I had a lot of boxes delivered at once, totally did not read the sign, because I'm stupid, opened the box saw what it was, resealed it. I think I will chat with the tech. Thanks for the heads up!!!