Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.2.1 battery drain? Or something else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this update for 2 days now. The navigation mileage vs. the charge estimate is consistently about 50% or more off. For example, an 8 mile ride, on suburban roads with a few lights and a 45mph speed limit -- charge started with 75 miles remaining... after the 8 mile ride i was down to 61 miles... I've noticed it be over 50% off consistently.

Anyone else?

I've had this update for 2 days now. The navigation mileage vs. the charge estimate is consistently about 50% or more off. For example, an 8 mile ride, on suburban roads with a few lights and a 45mph speed limit -- charge started with 75 miles remaining... after the 8 mile ride i was down to 61 miles... I've noticed it be over 50% off consistently.

Anyone else?

Seems pretty normal. Sounds like you used at least 365Wh/mi. Totally fine this time of year.

The rated miles are only loosely correlated with how far you can go. Think of it as energy available. And check your Wh/mi - it’ll probably all make sense. Use that to scale up the miles according to the rough discharge “constant” for your vehicle.

Basic approximate info in this post:

Lines & Constants Info Pre-2019.36.x

Last edited:
yep......I am losing 4-9 in a 10 hr period in my garage....temp is 73....before this ver I went to Spain and had 145 miles left.......got home 3.5 weeks later with 128 miles left....something is wrong

It was confusing due to the post title, but the OP is talking about driving usage as far as I can tell.

I may be seeing excess vampire drain myself with 36.2 as well, but going to figure it out tonight - turned off all the features and we’ll see where it is at tomorrow. It appears I lost 10 miles last night - but I may have turned Sentry Mode on, which would explain it of course (I can’t remember - I am getting old I guess). Don’t think I had it on though.

It was confusing due to the post title, but the OP is talking about driving usage as far as I can tell.

I may be seeing excess vampire drain myself with 36.2 as well, but going to figure it out tonight - turned off all the features and we’ll see where it is at tomorrow. It appears I lost 10 miles last night - but I may have turned Sentry Mode on, which would explain if of course (I can’t remember - I am getting old I guess). Don’t think I had it on though.
yea.....I know what you mean.....they say memory is the second thing to go.....I can't remember the first....hahahaha.....didn't think of security mode....but car is parked in garage and no one goes there...I will check it also....

I am losing about 6-9 miles using the Teslafi application......my car was humming for 24 hrs and never went to sleep......tried to use sleep mode and it is so confusing I just deleted my account....it will take 3-5 days.....hope the humming goes away and the quiet sleep returns......the only way I can check it is to go down and listen to car and check the Tesla app to see it it is asleep...... just hope they will disconnect from my car and allow me to operate as normal

Seems pretty normal. Sounds like you used at least 365Wh/mi. Totally fine this time of year.

The rated miles are only loosely correlated with how far you can go. Think of it as energy available. And check your Wh/mi - it’ll probably all make sense. Use that to scale up the miles according to the rough discharge “constant” for your vehicle.

Basic approximate info in this post:

Lines & Constants Info Pre-2019.36.x
I appreciate the response, but not normal at all... It's always off... I understand different driving habits, temperature etc... And I'm fine with the 20-25% 'off' estimate which has been consistent up until this last update.

I appreciate the response, but not normal at all... It's always off... I understand different driving habits, temperature etc... And I'm fine with the 20-25% 'off' estimate which has been consistent up until this last update.

Did you look at the constants info? Remember it is colder now in most places so significant energy consumption is expected due to HVAC. That is why I ask about the Wh/mi. That will nearly always explain fully observed behavior.

Lines & Constants

Does not appear the constants have changed post 36.x update. Maybe later or perhaps only for new vehicles.

Anyone else?
So, a short trip. You're in Apex, NC? Has it been colder lately? Are you running heat? What's your Wh/m? It is certainly possible to use up 14 miles EPA rated miles when only driving 8 real miles. Happens in gas cars too, when you make short trips on cold days.