Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 surround view + HDMI kit testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@PhilDavid

This is how it looks. If you had a small swither you could put other video on it.

This 360 view really makes sense on a separate display rather than messing with the MCU. An ideal solution would be a second screen that neatly folds into the cubby hole below the MCU where you can slide it in and out and adjust the angle so it all looks built in and stock with all the wires concealed.

Also agree it would be ideal if the second screen runs Android so you can have Waze and other Android apps running when you don't need 360 view.

This 360 view really makes sense on a separate display rather than messing with the MCU. An ideal solution would be a second screen that neatly folds into the cubby hole below the MCU where you can slide it in and out and adjust the angle so it all looks built in and stock with all the wires concealed.

Also agree it would be ideal if the second screen runs Android so you can have Waze and other Android apps running when you don't need 360 view.

If someone makes a professional looking (like the JEDA Hub) and elegant product with a nice/clean Android touch screen (and no ugly logo) that slides out of the MCU cuby hole with a tilting display, it will be so popular! Imagine a screen for Waze and all the Android apps you would ever need at your fingertips in addition to being able to see the 360 view cameras?

Now imagine Scan My Tesla running on the same screen. Basically you can then have anything you ever want on that screen. Someone please build it and integrate it with 360 view. This is what I'd like:
  • Fully contained within the cuby hole underneath the MCU.
  • Slides out of the cuby you can adjust the angle of the screen.
  • Powers on automatically with the car and goes to sleep when the car is off.
  • Looks clean and elegant with no hideous logos or dangling wires. Should look stock like it came with the car.
  • Powers on automatically with the car. Easy "home screen" and task switcher: Waze, 360 view, Scan my Tesla, Other Apps.
  • Option to automatically go into 360 view at speeds below 5mph.
  • Android tablet with with full App Store access. Bonus if you can install a SIM card for Internet access.
  • HDMI input for 360 view.
  • OBD reader with Scan My Tesla Android app for all the car stats you'd ever want.
  • Now you can run any Android app in the car!
Another version can be built to mount in front of the steering wheel for the Model 3 and Y for those who wish to have a second display with Android apps plus 360 view.

Reactions: beachmiles and DCEV
Guys - I just had the MCU2 upgrade. What's interesting now is the 360-view system is working fine - but I cannot get back to the Tesla backup camera. It's just solid black when I try to switch to it. Did they perhaps unplug something? Any ideas where to look?

Thank you.

BUMP! I tried to PM BearBu with no response. Not sure this product is supported anymore.

I'm just not seeing it in the wiring diagram. Where does the OEM backup camera plug into this system? Thank you.

BUMP! I tried to PM BearBu with no response. Not sure this product is supported anymore.

I'm just not seeing it in the wiring diagram. Where does the OEM backup camera plug into this system? Thank you.

I would unplug/replug the 360 ODB cable to reboot the 360... sometime that helps.

Otherwise, yes, It is indeed possible to connect it wrong.
Bottom line is that the OEM backup camera has to stay connected directly to the HW2.x/3 input so Autopilot can see the back feed at all times.
To function properly, you want to insert the HDMI switcher in between the HW2.x/3 output and MCU input.

In my case, I upgraded to the latest firmware 2020.24.6.4 yesterday and the 360 system seem to be working perfectly fine for me. (both 360 and backup camera feed can be used).

Hope this helps

sorry, haven't been logged into the forum for a while. Had replied your PM last week. One more thing is to check if the "signal cable" for the HDMI Box is connected or not. If you can see the 360 image on the screen, which means the HDMI Box is working. What I guess is that the signal cable on the HDMI Interface box was disconnection so that you cannot send channel switching command by pressing the "menu" button.

• Informative
Reactions: pedriscoll
One more thing is to check if the "signal cable" for the HDMI Box is connected or not.
Thanks again for your help. I pulled the glove box post MCU2 upgrade - actually 4 disconnected wires. I did not do the original install so I'm trying to figure out the wiring. One wire was labeled "vga out". Another looked like a yellow RCA plug. Then there was two 4-wire connector/receptor (one appeared OEM, the other from the 360 system but I'm not sure) wire with 4 pins that seemed like they should go together. In a quick attempt they didn't seem to easily connect and I didn't want to force. Plus I was short on time.

I'm hoping to dig deeper this week. Any thoughts on where these might connect are welcome.

Thank you again.

Thanks again for your help. I pulled the glove box post MCU2 upgrade - actually 4 disconnected wires. I did not do the original install so I'm trying to figure out the wiring. One wire was labeled "vga out". Another looked like a yellow RCA plug. Then there was two 4-wire connector/receptor (one appeared OEM, the other from the 360 system but I'm not sure) wire with 4 pins that seemed like they should go together. In a quick attempt they didn't seem to easily connect and I didn't want to force. Plus I was short on time.

I'm hoping to dig deeper this week. Any thoughts on where these might connect are welcome.

Thank you again.

The VGA out and RCA plug are "don't care", so just leave those there. As I mentioned about the signal cable/plug between CANBUS BOX and HDMI Box, please check if it is well connected. I have attached the pics here and actually it could be found from the installation guide.

signal plug.jpg

signal plug - HDMI Box.jpg

yes, but wouldn't a second display in the cubby mean that you would have to look way down

Thought I replied but I don't see it. I'll try again - apologies if this is a dupe.

To recap i had the 360 system on my MCU1/AP2 car and it worked fine.

Just got the MCU2/AP3 upgrade. Initially the 360 system worked but I could not switch to the OEM camera. When I tried to switch I got the guidelines on a white screen.

Before doing anything I happened to get update 2020.28.5. Immediately the 360 system stopped working totally. I could only get the white screen with guidelines. I can hear the "click" when trying to swap screens. The HDMI switch has power. .

Reseated all connectors I can see. Best i can tell it is properly wired but i can send pics.

One wire on the CANBUS is not labeled and not attached. It has 3 pins. Anyone recognize it? See pic.

Maybe the 360 system is not compatible with AP3? Or did the CANBUS data change with this software?

Any thoughts on how to disconnect this and get back to OEM? I use the HDMI interface a lot and would hate to lose that though.

Or anyone east of the Mississipi willing to give me a hand? I'm up to a road trip. I did not do the original install so I admit I don't really know what I'm doing.

Other thoughts? Thank you all.20200726_171911.jpg
20200726_171853.jpg

BearBu very graciously did a video chat for an hour. We have the 360 disconnected but OEM is now working - Tesla seriously messed this up during the MCU2 upgrade. But to their credit, they did try. Pro Tip #1 - disconnect 360 HDMI at a minimum, and maybe CANBUS too before having Tesla do the MCU2 upgrade. Pro tip #2 - you may have to reboot when making HDMI changes. Anyway, I would do business with him again in a heartbeat.

Plus I'm getting intimate with this system. :)

Thank you again BB!

BearBu very graciously did a video chat for an hour. We have the 360 disconnected but OEM is now working - Tesla seriously messed this up during the MCU2 upgrade. But to their credit, they did try. Pro Tip #1 - disconnect 360 HDMI at a minimum, and maybe CANBUS too before having Tesla do the MCU2 upgrade. Pro tip #2 - you may have to reboot when making HDMI changes. Anyway, I would do business with him again in a heartbeat.

Plus I'm getting intimate with this system. :)

Thank you again BB!

You are welcome! I am too benefit to see the wiring issue about the upgrade from AP2 to AP3. Such an experience to me.

Since the in/out plug of rear camera feed (blue and black plug) for AP2 is on the left side, and these are all on the right side for AP2.5/AP3. Therefore, an extension cable for the blue and black rear camera feed is used to extend to fit to the right side of the AP3.

In order to plug the HDMI box to the AP3 upgraded from AP2, all you need to do is to disconnect the extension cable for the black plug (video output to MCU) and make connections between the HDMI Box. @KArnold if possible , please take a pic of the extension cable for better understanding.

Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
yes, but wouldn't a second display in the cubby mean that you would have to look way down

Honestly would not make much of a difference for me.

I'd love to have this installed without having anything mess with the MCU. A second screen just below the MCU that tucks into the cubby below the MCU when not in use would be perfect. Especially if it can run Android so I can then also have Waze in the car along with basically any Android app. Kind of solves the issue of not being able to run custom apps in the MCU in addition to 360 view.

You are welcome! I am too benefit to see the wiring issue about the upgrade from AP2 to AP3. Such an experience to me.

Since the in/out plug of rear camera feed (blue and black plug) for AP2 is on the left side, and these are all on the right side for AP2.5/AP3. Therefore, an extension cable for the blue and black rear camera feed is used to extend to fit to the right side of the AP3.

In order to plug the HDMI box to the AP3 upgraded from AP2, all you need to do is to disconnect the extension cable for the black plug (video output to MCU) and make connections between the HDMI Box. @KArnold if possible , please take a pic of the extension cable for better understanding.

Thanks

Thanks for all you do!

Do you have any plans to offer this 360 solution with a separate Android display that can display the HDMI 360 view feed as well as run Android apps? This way nothing messes with the MCU and no issues with AP or future software changes.

Reactions: PhilDavid
View attachment 570934

Attached is the AP3 post upgrade. The video cables connect to the top-right (passenger side) of the AP3, using an extension cable, to connect to the OEM video cables to the left of the glove box.

Thanks for sharing. A Tesla Ranger upgraded my 2018 MS to AP3 two months ago and I have had no issue using the 360kit after the upgrade.
Since you mentioned extension cables, I recommend adding one of these to the driver side mirror for any new install:
(the side that connects to the 360 module with the very long cable)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1QMBKV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It cost about $10 and makes it so much easier to attach/detach the whole mirror assembly without having to remove all the panels...
(need to cut a few mm of the plastic sleeve covering the original female connector but that's easy to do)