Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3MR only 3151 more than 3SR? Why trippin balls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Center console will still be there, but with less amenities such as the USB ports.

Premium audio is gone for sure in SR. A big loss imo as the premium audio is a lot better sounding than most of the upgraded audio I've heard in other cars.

Driver profile is likely to be gone because mirrors and seats will no longer be powered in the SR. I'm fairly certain there are still plenty of budget cars lacking auto-dimming mirrors. Having it is another piece of electronic that adds cost.

Assume everything in the PUP is gone/modified.

Power Mirrors - Stays (exterior, no heat or auto dim)
Fog Lamps - Gone? Pretty lame to run blanks as someone mentioned above.
Glass Roof - it could stay for ease of manufacturing (50/50 odds); or the SR model RFID tag simply skips that step in assembly
Seats - cloth
Trim - cheaper materials (could end up looking better)
Audio - dumb down
Heated seats - likely front only.
Power seats - stays, but dumb down version (would be ghetto for a tech car to have manual seats)
Driver Profile - stays for above reasons.
Center Console Rear USB ports - gone
Subscription based LTE or Free 3G for Nav.

WHy would people wait for SR makes no sense? If you only need 171 miles of range at 80-90% just buy a leaf or bolt. MR right now is as good as it will get for the SR people. Who wants a tesla with no PUP, small battery, slow supercharging and metal roof? If 42k is too much with a tax credit than 35k with no tax credit is still going to be too much. Im sure the people waiting were expecting 35k- $7500 in tax credits too.

Im sure the people waiting were expecting 35k- $7500 in tax credits too.

Anyone who thought this, did not pay attention or pass high school economics. It was impossible.

Tesla couldn't make enough cars to meet this demand. Never mind they would have ceased to exist after a quarter of pumping out pre-incentive $35K Model 3 that no one was going to buy software with.

Agreed... just buy used. it's a car. not a life saving device. I couldn't afford a S of my dreams back in 2015 (or now)... so I bought a used one. Finally; who the hell cares what it costs... if it's too much buy something else. or.. buy used. At some point all these cars will go to auction for $10k? $5k?

The first several years of HD TVs, Blu-Ray players, Cell Phones all cost $10-15k in today's money and less people complained.
Now you can get all those things for $300 or less anywhere.

if it happens, it happens, if not... buy one that's 2 years old. or 5. or 20!

Anyone who thought this, did not pay attention or pass high school economics. It was impossible.

Tesla couldn't make enough cars to meet this demand. Never mind they would have ceased to exist after a quarter of pumping out pre-incentive $35K Model 3 that no one was going to buy software with.
You are looking at this in terms of very late 2017 and 2018. Go back to March 2016.

Electric Fantasy: Will the Next Tesla Sell for $25,000?
Tesla has confirmed that the $35,000 price tag on the Model 3 doesn't include the significant federal and state incentives available to electric car buyers. Official confirmation from the company echoes what Musk told reporters at an auto show more than a year ago: "When I say $35,000, I'm talking about without any credits."

Meet Tesla's Model 3, Its Long-Awaited Car for the Masses
In person and on paper, the Model 3 is a stunner. It's a handsome sedan, with four doors and five seats, and all the comfort and practicality you'd expect of an upscale mid-size sedan. The battery is good for a 0 to 60 mph time under six seconds, a range of 215 miles. It's packed with tech, stylish, and a bargain if Tesla can deliver it at the $27,500 base priceMusk promises you'll pay after the federal tax credit.

Then move on to October 2016

Buyers of Tesla's entry-level Model 3 car face long wait
On Tuesday, visitors to Tesla's website were greeted with a change in language that indicates new orders for the $35,000-and-up Model 3 will be filled in "mid-2018 or later."

I wanted the LR version so I never cared about the 35K version but for anyone to suggest people should have known better need to go back and re-examine the facts.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Agreed... just buy used. it's a car. not a life saving device. I couldn't afford a S of my dreams back in 2015 (or now)... so I bought a used one. Finally; who the hell cares what it costs... if it's too much buy something else. or.. buy used. At some point all these cars will go to auction for $10k? $5k?

The first several years of HD TVs, Blu-Ray players, Cell Phones all cost $10-15k in today's money and less people complained.
Now you can get all those things for $300 or less anywhere.

if it happens, it happens, if not... buy one that's 2 years old. or 5. or 20!
Exactly! I stole a LR3 with EAP, 19inch rims and 2400 miles on it for 48k. Instead of paying 58k plus taxes for it! These people should just wait a few months-year and get a LR3 or MR3 used!

Will they? I have a LR RWD Model 3, and I just spent the past week Ubering around San Francisco in brand new Priuses and Corollas. The interior materials were garbage compared to the materials in my 3. The only Uber ride I ended up in that had comparable materials was a brand new Avalon.

Model 3 isn't competing with Toyota based on its price, it is competing with Lexus/Audi/Infiniti/BMW/Merc.

Reactions: Pkmmte and MXWing
I very very strongly doubt that much of what's sold as a "premium package" will disappear in an eventual lower-priced version:
Cloth seats: Maybe.definitely
No center console: Highly unlikely. It's pretty pathetic as it is. Can't make it a whole lot worse (Model S/X owners will disagree).
Tesla already stated that center console was part of PUP.
Premium Audio: I guess they could cheap on speakers a bit further.
Further? Model 3 has better stereo than most $85,000 luxury sedans.
Glass Roof? If Tesla had normal manufacturing capabilities, I'd say yes. They can't get anything screwed together properly, hence their quest for uniformity across "trim levels". Introducing a steel roof may be more expensive/risky for them short term than continuing with the glass.
Maybe.... They will still find some way of distinguishing the difference even if they keep the glass roof. It's possible that they use a cheaper coating on it for example. Without a doubt glass is more expensive than steel so they will eliminate it if they can and if the car doesn't look terrible for the change.
Auto-dimming mirrors: Are non-dimming mirrors still a thing?
Most new cars don't have auto-dimming mirrors on base trim versions. Toyota Camry, much cheaper car than Model 3 but with similar dimensions does not have auto dimming mirrors.
Custom driver profiles: Sure, they could remove that, but it costs nothing and would chase a bunch of buyers away.
Kind of like how turning on autopilot costs them nothing? There has to be differentiation to move customers into PUP and this is an easy one. Other manufacturers do this all the time and so will Tesla.
Fog lamps: yeah, could do some blanks there. Don't know how the market would react to $35k with blanks for fog lights.
They don't have to do blanks, they just fab a new part that doesn't have the fog lights which also plays into differentiation that customers spending more $$ are often after.
OTA Updates: They will surely keep the updates.
Yes, it will have OTA updates for sure via WiFi.
Maps and Traffic: I don't believe they give up the LTE connection and live traffic, the spyware they run is too valuable to give up. They're working on collecting their own traffic data, much like Apple or Google do and they need as large a fleet as possible for that.
They can collect the data and not make it accessible. They already do this with the onboard cameras on cars that don't have EAP activated. LTE for sure won't be given for free, but Tesla can still dump some data back to the mothership over WiFi, which is going to be required for updates. If a customer doesn't want to pay for data then Tesla can give them basic maps.
Streaming: doubt it would be removed. Must have some USPs agains other products, and this would be a good one, as they no longer have this market to themselves.
Removing streaming is trivial and easy for them to do and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it as a way to differentiate trim.

You are discounting that Tesla have already stated some of this is getting yanked out of the base model trim.

Additionally;

1. Accent LED lights.
2. Power fold mirrors.
3. Interior accent lighting.

All gone.

Other things they could eliminate but might not want to;

1. Rear storage compartment under main trunk.
2. Lower end wheels (steel wheels instead of alloys under the aero covers)
3. telescoping power steering column
4. power seats.
5. rear seat heaters.

Tesla can and will cut as much as they can without sacrificing the image of the car as something of a status symbol. Certain things might stay in because Tesla feels it would tarnish the image, but beyond that I expect they will cut as much as they can.

$35,000 BMW 320i is definitely pretty stripped down on features, interior, etc., compared to a $50,000 loaded 330i. Which is as it should be. If buyers want certain things they have to bump up to a higher level car.

You need to read the whole conversation. I was replying to the claim that Hyundais and Civics would have much better interiors than the base Model 3 will. I seriously doubt that.

I'm not so sure actually. For one thing the more appropriate comparison price-wise would be interior of an Accord or Camry. Even the base models of those cars have pretty nice interiors.

Time will tell.

I'm not so sure actually. For one thing the more appropriate comparison price-wise would be interior of an Accord or Camry. Even the base models of those cars have pretty nice interiors.

Time will tell.

That's exactly my point. The claim was that we know the base Civic will have a much better interior than a base Model 3, when the correct statement is "time will tell", as you said.

Reactions: RyanT
The uptake rate on EAP for tesla's sold at 35k is going to be very, very low. I would be surprised if its more than 10% on the 35k SR model. There are people who are buying that model as second cars or whatever, and they wont need it because EAP is mostly a "commuter" tool at this time. Other people looking at this model are saying "we dont need the range" so why would they buy a feature thats designed for commuting, thats such a large percentage of the purchase price?

As you have pointed out before, its a different value proposition when someone is buying a 60-100k car, vs a 35k car. I wonder what the uptake on EAP is for people even buying the MR model? I bet its looowwwwww.

I have an M3MR.. commute about 80 miles a day. Use EAP 70-75/80 miles.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Many of the people I talked to while waiting hours in line to reserve had it in their mind that they could get a $27,500 Tesla after tax credit. Many also indicated that was the only way they could afford the car. Some even thought that Autopilot was included in that price, not realizing the difference in hardware included vs. software. I didn't have the heart to tell them their dream probably wouldn't happen - and they probably wouldn't have listened anyways - at that time it was about being in line, at that moment, to be part of the EV revolution.

Reactions: Kant.Ing and Pkmmte
I love how folks who have multiple Teslas in their garage are opining on what people who can only afford $35K for a car, "should do" or how they should just stretch their budgets.

If you are in the position to spend more than $35K on a car, then I think you forfeit any right to speak for people who cannot.

I also like how people are saying if they can only afford $35K, they should just buy a Bolt or a Leaf. I'm pretty sure three years ago I read all over here how much better a Tesla is than either of those.

Elon said the car would start at $35K. He didn't say "eventually". All of us have been around long enough to know he was doing his Elon thing. But I assure you, a good portion of the 400K people who put down deposits amid the media frenzy, were not aware of this.

Elon smoked these people, and now that any mention of the base car has been removed from the website, I can only think the $35K car was a carrot dangled with the express intent of harvesting a wealth of deposits. If they had to refund a few, it was worth it.

You cannot tell me Tesla's accountants were so bad at predicting their manufacturing expenses in 2016, after four years of successfully selling cars, that they missed the mark so badly on what they would be able to sell the Model 3 for, two years hence. This is undergraduate stuff.

I love how folks who have multiple Teslas in their garage are opining on what people who can only afford $35K for a car, "should do" or how they should just stretch their budgets.

If you are in the position to spend more than $35K on a car, then I think you forfeit any right to speak for people who cannot.

My friend that is a backwards way of looking at things.

If I don’t have a Tesla, I would be grateful if someone who has multiple Tesla’s guided me on what I should be doing.

I also like how people are saying if they can only afford $35K, they should just buy a Bolt or a Leaf. I'm pretty sure three years ago I read all over here how much better a Tesla is than either of those.

Not me. One of the worst financial decisions you can make it throwing good money after bad. I think it is better to do without and save longer.

If BMW wants to give i3s away, and Nissian Leafs, there is a reason and it isn’t charity.

Elon smoked these people, and now that any mention of the base car has been removed from the website, I can only think the $35K car was a carrot dangled with the express intent of harvesting a wealth of deposits. If they had to refund a few, it was worth it.

You cannot tell me Tesla's accountants were so bad at predicting their manufacturing expenses in 2016, after four years of successfully selling cars, that they missed the mark so badly on what they would be able to sell the Model 3 for, two years hence. This is undergraduate stuff.

You are way over estimating the value of deposits from customers. Tesla had to pay 3% in transaction fees and those who made deposits colllected some points or rebates.

Lots of people have a plan Matt. Until they get punched in the face. Tesla went through all sorts of hell. Sleeping on the floor meant marks were missed.

At the end of the day we don’t have a 35K SR Model 3. But arguably, you have a much better car priced a premium in the single digits.

Reactions: TeeEmCee
Model 3 isn't competing with Toyota based on its price, it is competing with Lexus/Audi/Infiniti/BMW/Merc.

Just got back from a long day of test drives as I'm looking to perhaps replace my bag-of-bolts Model 3 with one of those. The 3 does a few things really really well compared to all of those brands but, in the end, no, I don't think it can really compete with them as a complete package (especially when taking Service into account)

To me it's like one of those students you like, because they try really hard and are genuinely likable, but then you fail them because, despite all the effort, they still don't quite cut it.