Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party carrier transport when “too close”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered a Model 3 last year and am about 210 miles away from the delivery center. Last year I had no problem selecting Tesla’s 3rd party transport option and they tossed it on a truck for me and delivered it at my door. This year I’m thinking of selling my 3 (not trade in, Tesla is over 8k less with their offer!) and buying a Y. Unfortunately Tesla has adjusted their window and you have to be 220+ miles away for the transport option. Logistically it would be hard for me to pick up the car since I would need someone else to drive up with me and then both of us would have to drive home. Extremely long day, using up the time of someone else, or risking hotel and covid and such. (I help take care of my 94 year old grandmother, so I’m being super serious about all covid risks, spare me the comments that it isn’t much of a risk in a good hotel, etc). For the same reasons I don’t really want to fly...

I called the Seattle area stores and asked about allowing a detail shop to pick up my car, so PPF or whatever I want, and then the detail shop would work with me tossing it on a transport truck and getting it over to me. Tesla mentioned that would be a nightmare and requiring I made them power of attorney so they could sign for me, etc etc etc.

So, first, has anyone done that in the Seattle area? Or Portland? Do you have a Tesla customer service rep I could talk to that might know the process and make it painless for me?

Second thought, I don’t mind paying for the transport from Tesla to my house. Has anyone been able to work with Tesla to get transport to their house when they’re “too close” and within the radius Tesla has for 3rd party carrier direct? Has anyone in the PNW worked on that, and again have a sales rep that would work with me on it?

I’m basically ready to order now but need to figure out this delivery situation and REALLY want to avoid having to trek to Seattle area to pick it up....