Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging transfer - anyone do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 3 in late 2018 and got permanent free supercharging. A week or two ago I got an email from Tesla saying I could now transfer my free charging and my full self driving to a new car if I take delivery before the end of this month.

So I just picked up my model y today, FSD transferred but not supercharging. Two people at Tesla told me they would open a ticket about it (the rep who handed over the car, and a phone rep earlier in the day while I was on my way to pickup). All assured me that it would transfer

Just getting nervous that a big F U from Tesla is on the way.. I still have my 3, scheduled to sell to carvana next weekend.

Anyone else do this transfer? What were your experiences?
I just got a new Model Y....Both my Free Supercharging and FSD transferred with no issues

Reactions: Mike521
If you are not trading in, or are transferring from a VIN that’s on another account, I think there’s a manual process where you have to sign an agreement and submit VINs by hand to the sales advisor.

I am trading in and I received/accepted my trade in offer. The app isn't saying anything about the free supercharging transfer. My Serramonte sales advisor says and I quote:

You will need to set it up through the Tesla app. We are not able to set it up for you here.

I'm pushing delivery back until tomorrow to give me time to settle this out.

I am trading in and I received/accepted my trade in offer. The app isn't saying anything about the free supercharging transfer. My Serramonte sales advisor says and I quote:

You will need to set it up through the Tesla app. We are not able to set it up for you here.

I'm pushing delivery back until tomorrow to give me time to settle this out.

Here’s where it showed up in my App. When I did the trade in process it asked me if I wanted to apply FSD transfer etc…. It then showed it when clicking on the trade in details in app thereafter.

1711573305145.jpeg

Was the transfer automatic or did you have to do anything in the Tesla app or anything with the sales advisor?
I just sat down with advisor and we went through the sale process of buying the car.....told him I was a previous owner, had a CT on order, gave him the vin number of old car to look up, saw my account and saw that I had free supercharging for life and FSD....I will not show up on the new car purchase order but will transfer and show up in the app on the phone and in the car under warranty....I had zero problems.....everything works from day one.....I did not have to charge until I had over 176 miles on car and went to supercharger, plugged in and started charging.....FSD works well also.....just make sure you tell the sales person you are wanting to transfer it and make sure he understands what you want

Reactions: Mike521 and EVChris
I took a screenshot of everything because I was absolutely sure that Tesla would screw up something. And ironically everything was super smooth. Go figure…

It was helpful to know where in the Tesla app the transfer was supposed to be marked so that I could explain what was missing. I messaged my sales advisor and the guy who was handling the trade in. Then someone else followed up and called me. We worked through it. It's marked on the Trade In page now. Again thanks for screen shot.

It was helpful to know where in the Tesla app the transfer was supposed to be marked so that I could explain what was missing. I messaged my sales advisor and the guy who was handling the trade in. Then someone else followed up and called me. We worked through it. It's marked on the Trade In page now. Again thanks for screen shot.

Nice work. Glad you got it squared away.

We just did this last weekend. We were told by the center sales manager that we had to FIRST purchase the new Tesla and transfer over our free superchargers for life BEFORE we deleted our S from the account and sold it. He said if we sold and deleted the S before we purchased the Y it would not transfer.

That is possibly the first true statement made by a service center staffer. Yes, that is the process, whether you are trading the car or selling privately. You have to take delivery of the new car FIRST with the agreement signed prior.

We just did this last weekend. We were told by the center sales manager that we had to FIRST purchase the new Tesla and transfer over our free superchargers for life BEFORE we deleted our S from the account and sold it. He said if we sold and deleted the S before we purchased the Y it would not transfer.
you are correct....I made sure that when we took delivery (trade-in Model S) that the new car was on the account....Tesla was the one that will delete the car from the account...asked the delivery person how it would show up if not on the sales order....He told me since it is a transfer, it will be coded in and become active as soon as they take the old car and we electronically sign for new car delivery....Sure enough, thats exactly what happened.....I had 90% when we took delivery and two days later, I went to supercharger and plugged in.....worked fine....Everything is on my app and when you look at warranty and specs in the car, both FSD and free supercharging is there.....this was what I was hoping for in order to buy new car.....then out of nowhere I get the email.....My car just ran out of warranty on 30 Jan 24......now new car, free charging and free FSD.....we are happy, especially since we have new warranty