Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging transfer - anyone do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 3 in late 2018 and got permanent free supercharging. A week or two ago I got an email from Tesla saying I could now transfer my free charging and my full self driving to a new car if I take delivery before the end of this month.

So I just picked up my model y today, FSD transferred but not supercharging. Two people at Tesla told me they would open a ticket about it (the rep who handed over the car, and a phone rep earlier in the day while I was on my way to pickup). All assured me that it would transfer

Just getting nervous that a big F U from Tesla is on the way.. I still have my 3, scheduled to sell to carvana next weekend.

Anyone else do this transfer? What were your experiences?

Reactions: Kohan
I would suggest combing the model S and X subforums for more feedback on free supercharging transfers. Its a lot more common for those cars to have free supercharging, vs model 3s which needed to be bought before 3rd quarter of 2018 and (I think) be the performance version of the car purchased at that time frame.

I have seen lots of successful transfers from model S and X people but most of the discussion is in those subforums.

Like this multipage thread, for example:

Reactions: Mike521
I purchased a new Model Y on March 1 and as I was at the Naperville Tesla I used my Tesla app to simply transfer (1) my FSD from my 2018 Model 3 and (2) my lifetime free supercharging from my 2012 Model S. It was smooth and simple and took only a few seconds; I was amazed it went so well. I'm guessing your experience of not yet being able to do so in real time upon pickup was the rarity of having lifetime free supercharging on your Model 3, as I wasn't aware that was an option...how much did you pay for that? Or was it a limited time offer Tesla made to move 3Ps?

I purchased a new Model Y on March 1 and as I was at the Naperville Tesla I used my Tesla app to simply transfer (1) my FSD from my 2018 Model 3 and (2) my lifetime free supercharging from my 2012 Model S. It was smooth and simple and took only a few seconds; I was amazed it went so well. I'm guessing your experience of not yet being able to do so in real time upon pickup was the rarity of having lifetime free supercharging on your Model 3, as I wasn't aware that was an option...how much did you pay for that? Or was it a limited time offer Tesla made to move 3Ps?

It was a limited time thing to move model 3 performance vehicles, shortly after they launched, till like 3rd quarter of 2018. Here is a thread about some details about it:

Reactions: 2012MS85
I transferred free supercharging from my 2018 Model X to a 2023 Model Y in December 2023. They had the free supercharging working within just a few minutes after my purchase of the MY so I was able to supercharge at no cost 15 minutes after my purchase. I was paranoid that it would work because I was planning an immediate road trip so that's why I immediately left the Tesla dealer after purchasing and headed straight to the nearest supercharger. Smooth process for me.

Just getting nervous that a big F U from Tesla is on the way.. I still have my 3, scheduled to sell to carvana next weekend.

I would definitely plan on slow playing the carvana sale, until you get this sorted out. Perhaps just tell them you had some personal stuff come up so you need to move the pickup to (insert another date about 7-10 days out).

Good to hear they came through for you guys! The thread @jjrandorin pointed me in the right direction to some documentation from Tesla saying it can take 24 hours. I'll post back here when the dust settles. Still concerned they're going to screw me

@2012MS85 , yep, as @jjrandorin said, it was a promo in 2018 to push the 3. I got performance with FSD for about 75k and in exchange they gave me lifetime charging and lifetime premium connectivity. Unfortunately my 3 had lots of problems, I'm glad to see it go and hopefully that the Y will be better.

Good to hear they came through for you guys! The thread @jjrandorin pointed me in the right direction to some documentation from Tesla saying it can take 24 hours. I'll post back here when the dust settles. Still concerned they're going to screw me

@2012MS85 , yep, as @jjrandorin said, it was a promo in 2018 to push the 3. I got performance with FSD for about 75k and in exchange they gave me lifetime charging and lifetime premium connectivity. Unfortunately my 3 had lots of problems, I'm glad to see it go and hopefully that the Y will be better.

Mine (my 3 performance) has been pretty good, if noisy (road noise), however my wifes 2022 model Y is WORLDS better just from a "better put together car" stand point.

I have come close to selling my car several times, but its paid for and due to the value of it, anything I do would cost me a lot of money 20k or so, even when I was looking at getting the same car in the end of 2023.

Anyway, let us know how it comes out.

TL;DR: supposedly the free supercharging will be transferred by 3/31, I had to sign the attached contract.

I called this morning since I had gotten no email or anything about a case being created by the delivery agent. The phone rep initially got it wrong and told me I could not transfer my supercharging because it was only for model S or X. I flipped out and read him the email that I received on 3/16 that said no such thing about only being for certain models. He put me on hold for a bit and came back and corrected himself, he said I was in-fact able to transfer the free supercharging, but that it might take until 3/31, and that the delivery agent did open a case yesterday, and he gave me the case number. We left off that there was nothing else for me to do but sit around and wait, as he couldn't/wouldn't even send me an email putting all of this in writing.

Then a few minutes later I got an email from Tesla with the attached contract to sign, saying free charging will be moved over to the Y by 3/31 and I would be re-imbursed for any charging expenses in the meantime.

I notice the conspicuous absence of the word "unlimited" in the wording describing the charging on the new vehicle. Concerns me that Tesla might be preparing to screw me in the future, perhaps by capping it at x amount of charging per year.

edit: the attachment doesn't seem to work for me, here's a link to the file on my amazon photos: Michael shared 1 photo with you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-25 105232.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 105232.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Anyone else do this transfer? What were your experiences?

I just traded my 2017 S to a 2024 and successfully transferred FSD and free supercharging (FUSC). I did the transaction under my existing Tesla username in app and everything was automatic. The app picked up that I had FSD and FUSC on my trade in and asked me if I wanted to transfer them. I said yes and everything happened automatically behind the scenes. My trade in kept both right up to the moment I walked into the delivery center for the new vehicle. As soon as I accepted the delivery on my phone, both items transferred right then and there and my car configuration in app updated.

sounds like you found the issue, OP, and it is being addressed. Don't expect to ever receive reimbursement for supercharging you do now though, Tesla is awful with reimbursements
lol thanks for the warning, I'm not surprised at all. In case it's not already clear, I'm no longer drinking the tesla kool-aid - they're just as bad as all the other manufacturers

@GWord man I wish my transfer was that simple, this would be a lot less stressful. I suppose since I didn't trade in my 3, maybe that has something to do with it. Of course if Tesla hadn't downgraded their trade-in offer from $16,500 before I placed my order, to $10,300 after I placed my order, that wouldn't have been the case.

TL;DR: supposedly the free supercharging will be transferred by 3/31, I had to sign the attached contract.

I called this morning since I had gotten no email or anything about a case being created by the delivery agent. The phone rep initially got it wrong and told me I could not transfer my supercharging because it was only for model S or X. I flipped out and read him the email that I received on 3/16 that said no such thing about only being for certain models. He put me on hold for a bit and came back and corrected himself, he said I was in-fact able to transfer the free supercharging, but that it might take until 3/31, and that the delivery agent did open a case yesterday, and he gave me the case number. We left off that there was nothing else for me to do but sit around and wait, as he couldn't/wouldn't even send me an email putting all of this in writing.

Then a few minutes later I got an email from Tesla with the attached contract to sign, saying free charging will be moved over to the Y by 3/31 and I would be re-imbursed for any charging expenses in the meantime.

I notice the conspicuous absence of the word "unlimited" in the wording describing the charging on the new vehicle. Concerns me that Tesla might be preparing to screw me in the future, perhaps by capping it at x amount of charging per year.

edit: the attachment doesn't seem to work for me, here's a link to the file on my amazon photos: Michael shared 1 photo with you
It should read as such aside from model

IMG_6838.jpeg

Thank you for finding the option codes and pulling those / posting them. That is helpful for others, and does confirm that you should have unlimited supercharging but ONLY for YOU.

So if you decide to sell this car to a relative (or your new best friend) in the future... Don't transfer it from your app account. Just add the driver.

So if you decide to sell this car to a relative (or your new best friend) in the future... Don't transfer it from your app account. Just add the driver.
@geordi agreed, I'll do whatever I can to keep the charging on the car, tesla can screw themselves

@EVChris my app never said anything about the free supercharging transfer either, but for other people apparently it did

• Love
Reactions: geordi and Kohan