Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party roof replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was driving my Model 3 recently I got a rock chip about an inch above the windshield, in the front of the glass roof. It also caused a large crack in the glass which I didn't even see right away. I contacted my ins. (Farmers) and I should only have to pay my $100 comp deductible to fix it. But, that is only if I take it to one of their approved shops. They do not work with Tesla, and will only reimburse whatever they think is a "reasonable" cost if I take it to them. The claims agent I spoke with wanted to send me to some sunroof place for the replacement. I don't want to trust just anyplace with this work.
I've scheduled the service in the Tesla app, which had set me up for an appointment Monday 6/7. The SC canceled that appointment, but gave me one a couple weeks later and told me the cost would be over $1100 which I need to pay and get reimbursed myself. I might need to park it until then because this crack is growing more and more. It's hard to get a picture of, but it's nearly 3 feet long now and starting to branch off other directions now as well.