Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our dual motor long range for 3 years now and its coming to the end of the lease, it's on 86K miles, according to Tesla the battery warranty is 100k (went into the dealership and they confirmed). Looked at a new lease on an AWD 3, but got a good deal from the lease company keeping the car and extending the lease for 12 months. I feel a little uneasy not having any cover for battery failure though, I got a quote for full warranty, from warrantywise for £1200, factoring that in with the lease cost, it's still a fair deal. Does anyone have any experience/alternative suggestions for cover for the above (UK)?

We've had our dual motor long range for 3 years now and its coming to the end of the lease, it's on 86K miles, according to Tesla the battery warranty is 100k (went into the dealership and they confirmed). Looked at a new lease on an AWD 3, but got a good deal from the lease company keeping the car and extending the lease for 12 months. I feel a little uneasy not having any cover for battery failure though, I got a quote for full warranty, from warrantywise for £1200, factoring that in with the lease cost, it's still a fair deal. Does anyone have any experience/alternative suggestions for cover for the above (UK)?
Is the dealership the one trying to sell you the warranty? If so, that's probably the reason they are outright lying to you about the battery warranty length.

TBH, you are doing 28k miles a year. Even if the battery warranty expires at 100k(which it WON'T), you'll have only six months of lack-of-coverage assuming you keep the same rate(100k-86k=14k, which is half of 28k). Between the only-six-months of coverage and the very real possibility that the warrantywise warranty is probably of dubious value anyway, I'd just chance it without the warranty.

The leasing company probably does NOT want the car back right now since used(and even new) EV prices have recently dropped. If they can get something out of you while prices recover, they'll be fine with that.

I'm surprised you are putting 28k miles on a leased car per year. They usually have pretty harsh terms regarding mileage.

Is the dealership the one trying to sell you the warranty? If so, that's probably the reason they are outright lying to you about the battery warranty length.

TBH, you are doing 28k miles a year. Even if the battery warranty expires at 100k(which it WON'T), you'll have only six months of lack-of-coverage assuming you keep the same rate(100k-86k=14k, which is half of 28k). Between the only-six-months of coverage and the very real possibility that the warrantywise warranty is probably of dubious value anyway, I'd just chance it without the warranty.

The leasing company probably does NOT want the car back right now since used(and even new) EV prices have recently dropped. If they can get something out of you while prices recover, they'll be fine with that.

I'm surprised you are putting 28k miles on a leased car per year. They usually have pretty harsh terms regarding mileage.
Could be that this is a can that is being kicked down the road.

As I understand it the lease company only cares about the mileage at the point of taking the car back. If the OP leases the car for another 12 months, they'll be perfectly happy to keep taking his original payments which - since they are outwith the original contract - will be effectively paying off whatever shortfall they have between the current market price for the car and what they thought it would be however many years ago.

I'm not sure how people deal with considerably over mileage cars on lease cars. As you say there's normally a not insignificant per-mile penalty.

Thanks for the replies, the car was originally leased @ 20k p/a we subsequently paid more and upped it to 30k p/a, very happy with the car, it's possible we may even extend to 2 yrs having spoken to the lease company. I appreciate that the chances are it will 'probably' be ok, it's on a business lease, failures happen and I don't want to be in the situation where we are potentially paying £15k to rectify it. The warranty (not from a Tesla dealer) looks pretty good IMO, everything is covered, battery, motors - all the expensive bits, even repairs in the event of it failing an MOT, it's not cheap but with the reduced lease payment plus the warranty payment its actually cheaper than our existing agreement.