Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... at least not in the first 6 months or so.

And I expect it to happen especially in the first 6 month or so... They get feedbacks from their first customers, and changes the car accordingly. The find out that an option is incorrect priced and updates the price. They find that some options - or an color - has to few takers, and drop it, and possibly introduce a new option/color instead. All of this has happened before on cars introduced by Tesla.

The Model S and X were prioritized for the fully optioned buyers which for many reasons covered on other threads was critical not only for Tesla's cash flow requirements but Tesla simply didn't have all the options available. This time the Design Studio will need a fairly full set of options to pick from since employees will be the first owners and many will not be configuring a fully optioned high priced 3. Once screen shots are available it will go a long way to answering many of our questions so even if we cannot place an order we should know pricing by mid 2017.

Reactions: Red Sage
Yes, I'd like to get my 3 as soon as possible. And I got my reservation in the first 10 minutes of availability on 3/31. Mine will be a low optioned car, probably just a big battery and nothing else, unless Tesla can figure out how to mount a satellite radio antenna on a metal roof (not even a small sunroof) Model 3. Like every other car maker in the world.

But then again, I wouldn't mind having 30,000 or so cars given to other people first. Let them be the ones to discover the flaws and mistakes, so they can be fixed before my car is built. Their impatience serves to improve MY car. :)

...unless Tesla can figure out how to mount a satellite radio antenna on a metal roof (not even a small sunroof) Model 3. Like every other car maker in the world.
Oh, they know how to do it. Just use one of those 'sharkfin' antennae like 'everyone else does'. Problem is...? Their Chief Product Architect, some guy named Elon Musk, thinks those things look stupid. So they don't use them.

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
Oh, they know how to do it. Just use one of those 'sharkfin' antennae like 'everyone else does'. Problem is...? Their Chief Product Architect, some guy named Elon Musk, thinks those things look stupid. So they don't use them.
I'm on board with them on this though. Satellite radio kinda sucks. Low bitrate, expensive annual cost, limited selection, silly shark fin. I never paid for it in my cars when the subscription expired.

They did not spell out "The design studio will be available to you when it is your turn in the queue to configure and finalize the order". They did not need to, as that is how it have bin done by Tesla in the past when they have started to produce and deliver a new model. So that is what to expect unless they tell us something else.

But yes, you will probably see the design studio earlier - via pictures taken by the first be able to order a car and posted here on TMC. And that is how you will get to know how the options is priced and what is available.

That's the way they did it with the Model X, but it's definitely not the way they did it with the Model S. When the Model S was rolled out the design studio was available to everybody fairly early. You could configure your car right away and play around and change the configuration whenever you liked. When your production slot came up you were invited to finalize your configuration. I think the Model X rollout was actually a bit bizarre and see no reason to assume they will do it that way again. It's not like people were really happy with the way it worked.