Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4/18 Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla diverting all the cars to Canada? Is that why we’re still waiting for a vin?
Trying to time the 200k car to be in Q3?
Does anyone think we won’t get our cars till after July?
VINs are currently going out every day to US owners, check the spreadsheet. Over 40 yesterday, that was a good day. So far NONE have been assigned to Canada, but I suppose that could change at any point. I’m sure Tesla has a plan for where that point is, hopefully after us!

Reactions: ebmcs03
At this point there would be a lot of angry people who have already configured if they paused US deliveries. Everyone from our batch was given a 3-6 week window. If that was suddenly more like 12 weeks I'd be upset. We might be the last major batch though, taking deliveries this month, with June being mostly/all Canada.

At this point there would be a lot of angry people who have already configured if they paused US deliveries. Everyone from our batch was given a 3-6 week window. If that was suddenly more like 12 weeks I'd be upset. We might be the last major batch though, taking deliveries this month, with June being mostly/all Canada.

Please let me take delivery in May!!

Just for a point of reference, my friend was basically a month ahead of me in the queue. This was his timeline

Order/configure 3/22
Vin 4/20
Delivery this past weekend (4/28)

He had aero wheels so we’re guessing thats where the delay was (when looking at orders compared to sport)

Bottom line it was basically 4 weeks, and we’re only approaching week 2 of waiting. As much as we all want our cars, we only have to be patient a little while longer (as i pound the refresh button on my tesla account page)

The 4/18 invites were so that Tesla could deliver the last few cars left over from before the shut down. I expect that if you do not have a VIN today, you will not get delivery until July.

So you think Tesla is lying about the 3-6 week window? I think they are going to deliver every car that has been configured in this quarter and that they have done the math and that will still be under 200k. I highly doubt they would invite people, tell them 3-6 weeks, and then have no intention of delivering those cars for over 10 weeks. Never going to happen.

Yes really. They all should have gotten their cars by now.

Waiting longer doesn’t mean it’s right.

I am in the 4/18 reservation group, so want my car as soon as possible, however, having said that, I took a look at Config to Delivery timeline from the Model 3 invite spreadsheet. Of all the deliveries/scheduled deliveries, 67.9% were in the 3-6 week time-frame, 19.8% were under 3 weeks and 12.3% above 6 weeks with 4 & 5 weeks the most common delivery time-frame.

Based on those figures, I feel 3-6 weeks estimate is reasonable and makes much more sense than stating 1-8 weeks delivery.

The 4/18 invite seems to be Tesla's largest invite batch to date so not sure how that will affect deliveries (although can guarantee that not getting your VIN by today does not mean you will not get delivery until July).

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
Yes really. They all should have gotten their cars by now.

Waiting longer doesn’t mean it’s right.

Apparently the key delays have been:
- aero wheels: Tesla probably misjudged how many people prefer larger wheels to range; apparently now resolved
- busy delivery locations: in some areas it's bound to be a problem

A few people have been unlucky and had their cars damaged in transit. A few have rejected them.

It might be that some people will be delayed by the diversion of some sales to Canada, Ontario in particular, to get sales through before the Ontario election that could eliminate the current generous rebate, and perhaps to help move the 200,000 sale to July.

Reactions: shrspeedblade