Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with my Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3SR from inventory a month ago, and finally got a delivery date (day after tomorrow) after a bunch of time and effort.

Then the silliness began ... the numbers changed four times. Then they lost my referral credit and it can't be added back now. Then they sent me a revised order agreement a couple days ago, at $3,000 less than the original price. Yay! Then they quickly emailed me and said sorry, that was a mistake. Downer. The lender apparently locked in that erroneous price, though, so today they tell me I owe another $3,000 down ... and if it's not settled by day after tomorrow, I can't take delivery!

Unfortunately, they don't take personal checks or credit cards, so I had to quickly link my bank account to Tesla Plaid for direct draw. Now they say the draw won't happen until 24 hours from now, which will put it only hours from delivery! Yikes!

Then they call me an hour ago (3:30 local) saying they need another insurance card because my policy happens to expire before their required 60 days after delivery. Fortunately I already have the renewal card, but they say they have to have it by 4:30 today! I texted it, but I haven't gotten confirmation they got it (since the number is some kind of main number, complete with robot lady and phone tree). I requested a callback, but it hasn't happened yet.

This isn't all, but it gives you a flavor of what I've gone through. If everyone had this much confusion and trouble I doubt I'd be seeing so many Teslas on the street!

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to the delivery person nicely and explain the situation. Read your agreement policy from when you originally ordered and see what it actually says.

There really isn't much in your case that's different from getting any other car, except for Tesla's accelerated delivery process. If you had joined the forums before you needed to complain, you may have found what you need to go through when picking up a Tesla.

In my case, I ordered my Model 3 and heard nothing for 2+ years. Then on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend I get the call that I need all of this information by Saturday. Yes, it was a few hours of panicking. Finacing through Tesla makes it significantly easier.

But wait until Thursday afternoon. With that grin plastered on your face, you won't remember any of this!

Talk to the delivery person nicely and explain the situation. Read your agreement policy from when you originally ordered and see what it actually says.

There really isn't much in your case that's different from getting any other car, except for Tesla's accelerated delivery process. If you had joined the forums before you needed to complain, you may have found what you need to go through when picking up a Tesla.

In my case, I ordered my Model 3 and heard nothing for 2+ years. Then on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend I get the call that I need all of this information by Saturday. Yes, it was a few hours of panicking. Finacing through Tesla makes it significantly easier.

But wait until Thursday afternoon. With that grin plastered on your face, you won't remember any of this!
Yeah, it all finally came together last night (I hope, lol) after 3 calls to Tesla in Plano, TX and Austin. I reloaded the app and finally got the "Pay" button that allowed me to pay the (unexpected) down payment (the erroneous total price they sent me apparently got picked up by Tesla's lender, resulting in my having to fork over 3 grand more in cash). And I found a lady at Tesla who could accept my insurance card, which I scanned to a PDF and emailed to her.

So, supposedly, everything in fine again and I should be good to go for tomorrow. Whew! 😵‍💫