Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4-Year Service History and Battery Loss - Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they tried to align the wheels they found that the areas for both camber control arm adjustments cams are grooved in to the subframe. They replaced the front subframe assembly.

Tell me more

I've had the same terrible alignment and tire problems.

I am as we speak replacing my 21s with 19s because I'm sick and tired of tire problems. I'm masking the issue I know but all four of my tires are out of toe again. No, I did not run over four potholes; I avoid potholes so much I may be hitting other cars....

for those curious, its all documented on my blog.

Our VINS are in the same range. I suspect this is a quality issue with a certain VIN range as it is not a common problem in the entire fleet, but common enough. I think 21s just show up the problem more than 19s. I'm assuming you are on 19s as you've only had two sets of tires.

I see berTX saying $22/hour. But I'm willing to take the quick 30 minutes (does _anybody_ charge for an hour) for a $11 for 70 mile add. My thinking is that I've hedged my bets in case some SuperCharger apocalypse happens; I can have freedom to get a cheaper (and more convenient) hotel than one with an overnight destination charging, and probably come out ahead in the bargain in one of four overnight trips. Granted, that means about 2-3 uses annually, which adds up $500 (adapter + tax) + 10 years x 2.5 x $10 = $750 for the extra flexibility.

More or less, depending on if you feel you got a 'deal' at your hotel. My last hotel charge added about 180 RM of charge, but gave me a new anxiety ... slip-fall risks of pedestrians nearby.

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a CHAdeMO for use in Texas, which is way behind California for SuperCharger density. I think of three situations I might use it:
1. When the Supercharger is too far out of the way, and I only need 50 or fewer miles to get to destination;
2. When I'm cruising around a visited town, and the hotel I'm at has inadequate charging;
3. When the Supercharger will charge too slowly, either for reason of 'Reduced Service', or I'm at the charger with 60% charge or more.
So, given you've made it 4 years without relying on it, what are the odds that you would need it in the next 12 months? I know the older CHAdeMO chargers had some issues, but aren't those resolved in the newer equipment?

1. Maybe. Depends on the return trip
2. CHAdeMO at a Hotel? never seen a single one. Tesla destination chargers are more common than any other type at hotels
3. CHAdeMO is typically half what a supercharger can do, and it drops from there as it charges. In general CHAdeMO is very slow relative to a supercharger, even if the supercharger is running short of a full load.

In practical terms, I have seen very little change in the CHAdeMO world. Given that the GM Bolt cannot use it, I would not hold my breath.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Great write up. Thanks.

My service has always been without compare. I have had relatively few problems. I did recently get a very faint hum from my DU and they replaced it with no questions asked.

The only "complaint" I have is how fast I go through tires with my staggered 21's. I made the effort to research the alignment and went in with specific calibration numbers and they have adhered to them every time. How awesome is that?! My tires wear exactly evenly, which shocks me. But I can't seem to get more than 9K out of the rears and 18K out of the fronts. I say "complaint" because I knew it when I bought them, couldn't resist them and am still in love with the look and handling. So totally on me.

I spend so much more on tires than I ever could have saved on gas. But that's the price of heaven.