Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4kW on wall outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone seen this before? Charging on a standard home wall outlet, getting 120v at 12Amps, should get about 1.4kW, which displays as 2kW or 1kW. But I'm getting 4kW even though the math doesn't make sense, and there's a little "3" icon on the screen that I've never seen before, which might mean the charge is somehow multiplied by 3?

2019 MX LR w/ HW3 FAD

Attachments

• 20191222_131859.jpg
    20191222_131859.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 139
My best guess after some research is that dirty power (ie single phase that isn't perfectly consistent) gets read by the software as 3 phase by accident, and shows that indication on the car. But I tink I would actually get the 1.4kW that I should expect from any standard US wall outlet. I'll charge overnight and see what the actual charge rate is

My best guess after some research is that dirty power (ie single phase that isn't perfectly consistent) gets read by the software as 3 phase by accident, and shows that indication on the car. But I tink I would actually get the 1.4kW that I should expect from any standard US wall outlet. I'll charge overnight and see what the actual charge rate is

I don't know how noise would make the thing think it is three phase power. In fact, I believe the cars sold in the US are not capable of three phase since that requires three converter boards and US models now only come with two boards. I'm thinking something is messed up in the car that it thinks it is charging with three phase power.

I've now seen about four or five threads in various sub-sections around this forum (charging, Model S, Model X, Model 3) on this same exact issue just in this past week. I think a recent software update got a glitch somehow because of this coming on all at once.

It's from regular 5-15 outlet charging in the U.S. and somehow the user interface is mistakenly marking it as a three phase connection, which the North American cars can't even do, so it shows the power level three times higher than it really is.