Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile Charger - how many Amps from a normal wall outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have had my Tesla model Y around 2 months now.
We use the regular Tesla 'Mobile connector' - ie the charger that goes in a normal wall outlet.
So I noticed when I first plugged it in, it would always show 8A in the mobile app - about 12km/h charge rate.
The app has a little slider thing that lets you drop it down as low as 5A - but 8A was the max.
When I looked at the charger manual, it says:
AU 10 8A 1.8 kW - so figured 8A was the most you could get out of a regular power outlet in this part of the world.

Plugged the car in tonight and had a look on the app and noticed it was showing 10A 15km/h which I have never seen before.

Anyone else notice that anything has changed recently?
What maximum do you get out of a regular power outlet?

We use the regular Tesla 'Mobile connector' - ie the charger that goes in a normal wall outlet.
So I noticed when I first plugged it in, it would always show 8A in the mobile app - about 12km/h charge rate.
The app has a little slider thing that lets you drop it down as low as 5A - but 8A was the max.
AU 10 8A 1.8 kW - so figured 8A was the most you could get out of a regular power outlet in this part of the world.

Plugged the car in tonight and had a look on the app and noticed it was showing 10A 15km/h which I have never seen before.

I see you've gotten an answer on other forums, but leaving this here for others.
Tesla is now supporting Mode 2 which allows full circuit current if the EVSE tail is 300mm or less.
EV Charging at Home: All There Is to Know - COMPLY GUY

The newer 10A and 15A tails supplied with the Australian UMC were manufactured derated to 8 and 12 amps respectfully. It’s speculated that this is to do with “the 80% rule” for what is termed continuous electrical loads. More recently some doubt about the applicability of this rule to Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE), which is what your UMC is classed under.
In any case Tesla decided to issue an update for these tails to allow them to run at full capacity. The update is a firmware flash that is delivered to them by your car after the end of a successful charging session.
The reason that this did not occur sooner is because a car software update initially enabled the feature, then a later update broke the feature then Tesla fixed the feature In a more recent software update.

• Informative
Reactions: khayyam