Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6/3 with ground, how to connect to wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60Amp breaker -

So cap the natural and install the bare copper?
Correct. Check the wire (post a photo). If the #6 gauge wire is the typical Romex type non-metallic B (NM-B) commonly used for indoor home wiring then it is not rated for more than 55A, must have a 50A breaker. If the #6 gauge wire is armored or in conduit the wire can be probably be used with a 60A circuit, 60A circuit breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Correct, use the bare wire as ground and cap the neutral. Wait for a few people here to tell you the sky is falling if you use a 60A breaker, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.
The sky is not falling, but its yet another indication of a crappy 'professional' doing the job. If I'm gonna pay a professional to do a job, I expect it done correctly and so my homeowners or life insurance doesn't have to come sue his ass out of existence when my house burns down while I'm sleeping in it. I'd also prefer not to have my house burn down, whether or not I'm sleeping in it.

All that said, the NEC is >extremely< conservative, so pushing that cable rated to 55 amps as if it were rated to 60 amps is unlikely to be a big deal. It becomes a bigger deal when the wire runs through a hot attic, or is crammed through a hole with a bunch of other highly loaded cables.

Reactions: Rocky_H