Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd wire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan an install of a Gen3 Tesla wall charger. I have been looking around a bit and I see everyone using 3 6ga wires in conduit for a 60 amp breaker... fine. My question is , why does everyone use three 6ga. wires? There is no current on the ground wire! Only L1 and L2 carry the 32-40 amps for the charging. Would a 10ga wire be OK for the ground/common connection? Also, would a separate ground wire be required?
Any licensed electricians out there?

Reactions: unhyphy and Rocky_H
I plan an install of a Gen3 Tesla wall charger. I have been looking around a bit and I see everyone using 3 6ga wires in conduit for a 60 amp breaker... fine. My question is , why does everyone use three 6ga. wires? There is no current on the ground wire! Only L1 and L2 carry the 32-40 amps for the charging. Would a 10ga wire be OK for the ground/common connection? Also, would a separate ground wire be required?
The ground wire should be the same Guage (lowest resistance) in case of a short, the flow of electricity would travel the least resistant path.

For 6 gauge installs, you are correct that the NEC allows a 10 gauge ground. I show this on my chart on this page: Advice for EV Charging in North America

Edit. Also it isn’t a common/ground wire. It is a safety ground. Operating current flows between the two 6 gauge hots.

Last edited:
I have been looking around a bit and I see everyone using 3 6ga wires in conduit for a 60 amp breaker... fine. My question is , why does everyone use three 6ga. wires? There is no current on the ground wire!
The not very significant reason people usually give is: "just in case it's needed by someone else sometime in the future for something"

So in other words, no, there isn't really a good reason for it. If someone were to ever take that wall connector off and insist on putting a dual voltage 120/240V outlet on there, like a 14-50, then the fourth wire for neutral would need to be there. But for electric car charging, there won't ever be any need for that, since all they will want is the 240V connection and don't have a use for the available 120V.

Um. This is not a "It's for future use!" wire. It's a blame SAFETY GROUND.

Take the obvious: There's a frame inside the Wall Connector that's tied to safety ground. Now, suppose a piece of nifty insulation, on a wire, in the case, or some piece of electronics, decides that Now Would Be A Good Time To Short between one of the hots to that frame.

The world's biggest slug of current Every Seen is going to flow through that short to the ground. For the amount of time it's going to take, it's not going to be long enough to get that 10 Ga wire to melt, but it will be long enough to pop the breaker. Not to mention any GFI hardware present, which I understand both the Wall Connector and Mobile Connector have built in.

Without that safety ground, whatever passes for a ground frame inside the Wall Connector (or the car, for that matter, it gets that ground, too) is going to end up at one Hot Voltage Potential or The Other. And, if somebody touches that it's-supposed-to-be-ground-but-it-ain't, that person ends up dead as the current flows from that high-potential ground, through the human body, and to that damp shoe in the puddle in the ground outside the house, or wherever.

Double-insulated power tools don't need the ground because it'll take Two, count 'em, Two sets of insulation to break down before Death.

Back in the 50's before NEMA5-15 (with the ground pin) sockets became common there were deaths all over due to fun like this. Imagine a clothes washer with no ground wire attached and all those motors and water on the inside.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Wall Connector, Mobile Connector, and possibly the Tesla itself does a check to make sure that the safety ground is connected before every charge, Just To Be Sure. (Which drives external GFI hardware nuts, if said hardware is sensitive enough to notice the check.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't think anyone uses a 6 gauge ground in this setup. All the electricians I had a quote for a NEMA 14-50 plug is three 6 gauge wires (2 hots, 1 neutral) and one 10 gauge wire for ground. For a wall connector it would be the same minus the neutral wire with two 6 gauge wires (2 hots) and one 10 gauge wire for ground.

Um. This is not a "It's for future use!" wire. It's a blame SAFETY GROUND.
Stop. I'm talking about how most people use three big thick conductors PLUS a ground wire, which the OP referenced. One of those big thick conductors isn't used at all, but people throw it in there and use four wires anyway just for future potential use. And read what the OP posted. He is asking if the ground wire has to be just as big and thick a gauge as the two hots, or if it can be thinner, and yes, it can be thinner:

No one in this thread is talking about the possibility of not using a ground at all that you are posting about.
Would a 10ga wire be OK for the ground

F
All the electricians I had a quote for a NEMA 14-50 plug is three 6 gauge wires (2 hots, 1 neutral) and one 10 gauge wire for ground.

A 12 AWG ground can be used on a 50A receptacle.

Per 2023 NFPA 70 (NEC):

1697659461792.png

Stop. I'm talking about how most people use three big thick conductors PLUS a ground wire, which the OP referenced. One of those big thick conductors isn't used at all, but people throw it in there and use four wires anyway just for future potential use. And read what the OP posted. He is asking if the ground wire has to be just as big and thick a gauge as the two hots, or if it can be thinner, and yes, it can be thinner:

No one in this thread is talking about the possibility of not using a ground at all that you are posting about.
Right, if we're talking a NEMA15-50 socket, then that third heavy wire is for the neutral and is required. If it's a cable going to a Wall Connector, hard wired, that third, Neutral, wire isn't required; if it is there, it gets capped or something. Sorry about that.

Sorry, I should self-correct this, which wasn't quite right. It was questioned:
Also, would a separate ground wire be required?
Yes, the ground needs to be there, but not also an additional third big thick current-carrying wire.