Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seater into 7 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to switch out the 2 captains chair into a bench seat. The only reason I didn’t get a plaid is because I needed the 7 seater configuration. Thank you much kindly.
I'm in the same boat as you. We got our 7 seater LR because I just couldn't do the 6 seater. I wanted the Plaid. I don't get the fascination with 6 seater. It seems like a waste on a large vehicle like this. Think of these scenarios:

7 Seater advantages over the 6 Seater:
  • Go on a road trip with 5 people, you still have lots of trunk space with 3rd row folded flat. Can't do it with 6 seater, you would kill the trunk space once the 3rd row is up and you can't accommodate the luggage of 5 people.
  • Ability to carry up to 7, same leg room as the 6 seater in 3rd row
    • Contrary to popular belief, the leg room between the 6 and 7 seater is the same in the 3rd row. Visually the 6 seater 3rd row feels more open because of the space between the 2nd row captain chairs
  • Complete fold flat in the 7 seater. Can't fold flat in a 6 seater!
    • Allows you to carry larger things like bikes, camp gear, or large items/boxes you might buy at a store
    • Ability to sleep in the back of your Model X. Heard of some cool stories of people camping overnight somewhere.
    • Dog crates can fit. Difficult to fit dog crates if you don't fold 2nd row because of the sloping roof line in the 3rd row
  • Bench seat in 2nd row is better than the captain chairs
    • More comfortable than the 2 captain chairs. You have a place to rest your arms, put down your things, etc. The captain chairs have no armrests. Some also complain of the captain chairs are a bit narrow.
    • Carry up to 5 without using the 3rd row and still have a large trunk
    • Bench seat is great for dogs!
    • Creates a nice barrier so items in the trunk dont roll through like the 6 seater w/captain chairs
The 6 seater is just too much of a compromise.

Long Range v. Plaid
  • LR has wood accents which I find more luxurious than the carbon fiber in the Plaid. Carbon Fiber looks like cheap plastic to me but that's just my opinion.
  • LR is 205 lbs lighter than the Plaid and will likely brake and handle slightly better :)
  • LR has slightly better range
  • LR is $10-$15k cheaper
  • LR offers all the seating options 5/6/7
  • From what I'm told by my dealer, the LR comes with all season tires for both the 20" and 22" options whereas the Plaid comes with summer/performance tires. If you live where it gets cold in the winter, you want the all-seasons. Of course you could get the Plaid and buy new tires.
  • Plaid is an acceleration monster and nothing can compete with it, except a Model S or a Lucid :)
I will say I did have regrets about not having the Plaid though! I just wanted to have the fastest SUV on the planet. Do I think I would ever really use the 1,020hp - probably not! It would only be to show off to friends but I can't imagine I would floor it just to merge into traffic. Heck even in my LR I need to find a proper road to actually floor it, its nearly 700hp!

All that being said the LR is very fast. As a matter of fact, after 30mph, it is faster than any previous Model X, any current Model 3, any current Model Y! My only slight gripe is they seemed like they software limited the torque 0-30mph and you can feel it. Around 30mph watch out! 99% cars will be toast if you race them after 30mph. It really goes hard! Many think it's being neutered on the 0-30mph on purpose to widen the gap with the Plaid. Many including myself are hoping for a boost/acceleration fix for the 0-30mph but really it's already very fast even if they dont. Only a few years ago anything 0-60 in 3.x seconds was supercar category. But an acceration boost option like they have on the Model 3/Y LR would make the Model X LR nearly perfect!

To put it in perspective, the 1/4 mile times (125mph, low 11s) are comparable/better than the Lamborghini Uris and that is considered the fastest gas powered SUV and costs $350k! Its better than or comparable to performance cars like C8 Vettes, Hellcats, M3s, M5s.

Also note that the LR is one of the lightest Model X's every produced at around 5100lbs! Its 200lbs lighter than the Plaid, 400-500 lbs lighter than the old Performance Model X. The handling/braking should be a little better on the LR.

Last edited:
This is just a personal theory of mine and I may be completely wrong here. After looking at how the bench seat is mounted the center of the seat has a large mount that slides forward and back. Looking at the pictures of the Plaid rear motor setup, I believe there is some interference between bench seat center mount and the rear motors of the Plaid. I believe this may be why they eliminated the 5/7 seater option. They would probably need to rework the bench seat mounts to make it work.

Again just a personal theory of mine and could be way off here :)

A 7 seater Plaid with wood trim option would be awesome!

Last edited:
the floorpan and below that, the battery assembly are what the bench sliders sit on top of, it's nowhere near the rear subframe mounts, let alone the motor/gearbox assembly, that's still all battery under there. The floor is also still flat between the captains chairs on a Plaid. And, finally, they originally offered it as a configuration you could order. So, no, there's no evidence of a technical reason for it beyond they don't want to make another configuration and complicate their lives, and it gave them a way to pump another $3000 of mandatory sticker price hike into every Plaid. Ubernerds will recall the base price went up when the 5-seat option went away on the website.

but I agree you're not going to retrofit without taking the car apart and cutting out and welding in a new floorpan, among other "minor" issues

Last edited:
the floorpan and below that, the battery assembly are what the bench sliders sit on top of, it's nowhere near the rear subframe mounts, let alone the motor/gearbox assembly, that's still all battery under there. The floor is also still flat between the captains chairs on a Plaid. And, finally, they originally offered it as a configuration you could order. So, no, there's no evidence of a technical reason for it beyond they don't want to make another configuration and complicate their lives, and it gave them a way to pump another $3000 of mandatory sticker price hike into every Plaid. Ubernerds will recall the base price went up when the 5-seat option went away on the website.

but I agree you're not going to retrofit without taking the car apart and cutting out and welding in a new floorpan, among other "minor" issues
I could buy the streamlining idea but they didn’t think it through very well. They could have just offered 6 seater deliveries early and then rolled the other ones later on. If people felt like waiting they could wait. If they felt like getting it quick they could get the 6 seater.

Imagine how many Plaid orders they missed out on because of this nonsense. Certainly mine and the original poster here. All previous “performance” versions of the X you could get the 7 seater.

I think they actually could have made more money not less.