Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 vs 7 seats, 2nd row movement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the 7 seater (new just a week ago). I envy the people who can get into and out of their third row by just clambering through the middle, and also the ability to have powered moving seats. But I wanted to be able to bring two of the kids' grandparents with us some of the time, and the fold-flat seemed like a smart choice (though our other car is an F150, so we'd most likely haul anything really big in that)

I have sat between the two car seats in the middle row and I think as long as at least one of them is a backless booster, it's fine. If you have two full-backed car seats, it's probably not comfortable for any length of time. But otherwise, I'm 6'1" and I fit fine in the middle as far as height and leg room

The way the middle seats are so manual and clumsy to fold and push forward really feels out of place with the rest of the high-tech car, but our 8 year old is able to get into the back herself, so I guess it's fine.

The back seat is very tight. Because she's in a booster, her feet can't go under the seat in front of her, and that makes it very tight on her feet between the two seats. I admit to not having sat in the way back yet.

Feel free to ask me anything.
Yes, that sounds right to me.... I thought the 7 seater would be best until laboring with the manual aspect.... then I thought to myself... 6 seater is where it's at.... I can always get an Xwing trailer thingy... But I could see how owners make peace with 5 and 7 seater... but for me, the suprise was the convenience of the 6 seater... the fact that you can improve the speed of getting people in the car, since they can climb back to the third row.... it allows for one falcon wing door to be opened and you have access to both sides of the car including the back row all without moving a seat. One other thing that improves functionality in the Model X in my opinion is the light interior. It really helps with identifying seatbelts and buckles and the ambient light is helpful. If I were doing a limo service.... no question, black interior with console.

Wow. This thread has me confused...so two questions.
1. Do the back 2 seats in the six seater fold flat?
2. We are looking for a used model x. So if they fold, have they always folded...if not when did it change?

We have a large dog and 2 kids. So trying to figure out...,a road trip..with luggage.

Wow. This thread has me confused...so two questions.
1. Do the back 2 seats in the six seater fold flat?
2. We are looking for a used model x. So if they fold, have they always folded...if not when did it change?

We have a large dog and 2 kids. So trying to figure out...,a road trip..with luggage.

Third row has always folded.

Second row has never folded.

Reactions: Ocelot
We ordered our 7 seat Model X without seeing a demo car with it. we had a difficult time finding any videos, only a couple of forum threads describing how hard it is to operate the 2nd row.

Overall we are satisfied with it, though i would say it's not as smooth operating as the Honda Odyssey we came from. However, our 8 and 10 year olds, who sit in the back are getting the hang of it in the week or so we have had the car. I made a video to share and just uploaded to youtube.

What if you had two baby car seats vs the booster seats. I have a baby on the way and maybe two years later another. Given this situation with bulkier car seats would you still opt for 7 or maybe go with 6 since your 2nd row wouldnt really fold as much with a larger seat right? thanks

I know you've gotten a lot of replies, but I'll just add my 2¢.

First, all aspects of the 2nd row seats are, as you put it, semi-electrically assisted. There's a bar on the side for reclining and another on the bottom from for forward and backward sliding. These both sorta kinda act like manual mechanical releases, but they aren't. Activating the lever pulls a switch which signals the computer to actuate the release mechanism. Having an electronic release is what allows the hidden button to operate. It's fully electric and basically just releases both the sliding and the reclining locks.

In practice, it doesn't usually matter that the bars are electronic. As with the electronic door handles, they're meant to act like manual releases and you don't notice it most of the time. When I first got my X, I had one defective seat. This is how I realized they were electronic. The seat would lock with the back folded partway down and the two release bars became inoperable. I could pull them all I wanted, but the electronics in the seat were faulty and wouldn't respond to release the seat. Rebooting the car enabled me to use them again a couple of times. This probably isn't an issue anymore, I'm told they've switched to another manufacturer for the seats.

I've got a 4-year-old and an 8-year-old. She was 7 when we bought the X and she always sits in the third row. She has no problem sliding the seats in either direction. However, half the time she doesn't because the gap between the seats is actually wide enough for a small child to climb through without moving the seats (see attached image).

For us the 7-seater is a definite win. We don't often fill all 7 seats, but we do often use the full cargo area, something you don't get in the 6-seater. HIH.

im debating on the 7 vs 6 with one baby on the way. im trying to think long term here as the family grows to a 2nd baby soon after. When you mention using the additional cargo room, what kind of stuff do you haul? I'm just trying to imagine typical / frequent use of extra cargo vs the ease of two baby seats in the 2nd row for a 6 seater and in laws in the 3rd. thanks

I have a 1 year old and planning for one on the way. Same boat.

I was convinced I would get the 7 seater for a while, and the cost savings sealed the deal.

My original reasoning was that my wife could not sit with the new infant and the toddler if they are both in the second row.

BUT

I realized that in a 7 seater she really wouldn't be able to sit with two car seats anyway, and in the third row of the 6th seater she has pretty good access to both. If we are traveling, then we can fold down one of the third row seats for added luggage.

People with babies know how much stuff you have to lug around for a local vacation.

The 6 seater is way more comfortable for all three rows and thats what I'm going for. Seems enough people dislike the third row in the 7 to have it be frequently useful.

I do not imagine I will often need the max room with all rows folded down, but it's a downside of the 6 seater for sure.

With rear-facing car seats, if you take out the car seat and just leave the base in the car, it'll fold plenty to get into the back no problem. If you have a front facing seat that is permanent, it still folds enough to get in for most people, but it is a squeeze. (would be totally fine for kids). That's with the 7, probably similar with the 6.

The cargo capacity with the 3rd row up (in either 6 or 7, should be the same) is pretty small, but workable. You can put groceries for 5 in there if you use the lower trunk section. With the 3rd seat folded down, it's pretty good. Even half of the back seat folded down makes a big difference.

I've sat in the middle between two car seats in the second row of the 7. It's not terrible if you don't have big hips, but it is pretty dependent on how big your car seats are and how big your hips are. We made sure to get more narrow car seats. For leg and head room it was totally fine, and I am 6'1".

Reactions: glusc2002
What if you had two baby car seats vs the booster seats. I have a baby on the way and maybe two years later another. Given this situation with bulkier car seats would you still opt for 7 or maybe go with 6 since your 2nd row wouldnt really fold as much with a larger seat right? thanks

If we didn’t have 4 kids, I think we would have gotten the 6 seater. We need the seven seats because we are a family of 6 (2 adults + 4 kids) that will frequently have a guest rider.

If you’re only going to have two or three kids then the 6 seater definitely.

Reactions: glusc2002
I have a 1 year old and planning for one on the way. Same boat.

I was convinced I would get the 7 seater for a while, and the cost savings sealed the deal.

My original reasoning was that my wife could not sit with the new infant and the toddler if they are both in the second row.

BUT

I realized that in a 7 seater she really wouldn't be able to sit with two car seats anyway, and in the third row of the 6th seater she has pretty good access to both. If we are traveling, then we can fold down one of the third row seats for added luggage.

People with babies know how much stuff you have to lug around for a local vacation.

The 6 seater is way more comfortable for all three rows and thats what I'm going for. Seems enough people dislike the third row in the 7 to have it be frequently useful.

I do not imagine I will often need the max room with all rows folded down, but it's a downside of the 6 seater for sure.

Have you considered 5 seater? you get good cargo in the rear and wife sits between both car seats? thats what im trying to debating. Is my wife's comfort worth $6K upgrade haha

Have you considered 5 seater? you get good cargo in the rear and wife sits between both car seats? thats what im trying to debating. Is my wife's comfort worth $6K upgrade haha

I did initially but ruled it out bc $3k for the 7 seater wasnt bad, esp with the improved rear AC. I know some people dont have an issue and with climate control etc. it may not come up all the time, but when we test drove a 5 and it was hot, the rear AC was very weak and couldn't play "catch up" very well.

But now I have gone all the way to the 6 seater... in the end I want to drive it for a while and I think its the most comfortable setup for grown kids and adults mixed.

I did initially but ruled it out bc $3k for the 7 seater wasnt bad, esp with the improved rear AC. I know some people dont have an issue and with climate control etc. it may not come up all the time, but when we test drove a 5 and it was hot, the rear AC was very weak and couldn't play "catch up" very well.

But now I have gone all the way to the 6 seater... in the end I want to drive it for a while and I think its the most comfortable setup for grown kids and adults mixed.
Where is the 7 seater A/C located that makes it more efficient than the 5 seat option? thanks

If we didn’t have 4 kids, I think we would have gotten the 6 seater. We need the seven seats because we are a family of 6 (2 adults + 4 kids) that will frequently have a guest rider.

If you’re only going to have two or three kids then the 6 seater definitely.

Are there USB or power charging ports anywhere behind the front driver and passenger seat, in either 5/6/7 seat configuration?