Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1KW solar roof system + 2 Powerwalls in upstate NY -- do my generation stats look right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Tesla completed installation of a 7.1 kW solar roof system with 2 Powerwalls on July 16th. I'm about 100 miles north of NYC in the Hudson Valley. Exactly half of the tiles are facing south, and the other half north, with basically zero obstructions.

Hoping community members can help verify if my system is performing as it should.

1) Peak daily generation has been 37.3 kWh -- reached on 2 occasions. These were pretty hot/humid days (~90 degrees F), mostly sunny with some clouds toward the end of those days. My guess is I would've reached 40 kWh without clouds. Does this sound about right?
2) On those peak days, my peak output barely reached 5 kW, but I've actually seen output reach 7.4 kW on a cloudy/rainy day. Does that seem right? Just seems counterintuitive to have better peak output on a cloudy day.
3) I believe I have the latest Powerwall and inverter. My solar system shuts down for about 10-15 minutes everyday. I've notified Tesla and it seems to be a software issue that they haven't addressed yet. Does anyone else have this issue?

Appreciate any insights from this community. Thanks.

Depending on roof pitch, north facing roof have 80-60% efficiency compare to south roof. If you have a ne/sw roof they also peak at different time than a 0/180 north south roof. Assuming your south is peaking at 3kw, and north 3kw*70% = 2.1kw so you would be in the right ball park

Upvote 0
Hi all. Tesla completed installation of a 7.1 kW solar roof system with 2 Powerwalls on July 16th. I'm about 100 miles north of NYC in the Hudson Valley. Exactly half of the tiles are facing south, and the other half north, with basically zero obstructions.

Hoping community members can help verify if my system is performing as it should.

1) Peak daily generation has been 37.3 kWh -- reached on 2 occasions. These were pretty hot/humid days (~90 degrees F), mostly sunny with some clouds toward the end of those days. My guess is I would've reached 40 kWh without clouds. Does this sound about right?
2) On those peak days, my peak output barely reached 5 kW, but I've actually seen output reach 7.4 kW on a cloudy/rainy day. Does that seem right? Just seems counterintuitive to have better peak output on a cloudy day.
3) I believe I have the latest Powerwall and inverter. My solar system shuts down for about 10-15 minutes everyday. I've notified Tesla and it seems to be a software issue that they haven't addressed yet. Does anyone else have this issue?

Appreciate any insights from this community. Thanks.
FWIW, my 8.16kW system is averaging 38kWh daily all through summer and I'm in Southern California.

I put the details of my system in this response: 8.1 kW system daily production?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm about 100 miles West of you. Tesla started my 8K install on the 25th of June, but stalled out due to National Grid refusing to allow Tesla to use their Backup Switch. I have an E/W roof with 4K on each side, 2 strings going to the inverter. Tesla has me scheduled for completion on the 20th so it'll be interesting to see how an East/West profile produces compared to a North/South. I would think at this Latitude the North side would produce very little.

Upvote 0