Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit - Claimed in year ordered or year delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for anyone that possibly went through this last year - do you claim the $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit for the year you ordered the car, or do you have to wait until delivered.

I'm just now starting to look into the Model S and it would be great if I was able to order one now and claim the tax credit for 2016 taxes, but I'm not too familiar at all yet in how the ordering process works and if a VIN is required to claim the tax credit.

The other option potentially would be to buy an already built model, but that timeframe is pretty short at this point and there only appear to be 3 cars available at this point, none of which tick off all the boxes I want.

Ok...looks like there are plently of choices. I assume FSD (Full Self Driving) means it has AP2, correct?
Two things:
Here's the CPO site owner - pretty sure he'd be happy to help you. @HankLloydRight

Then, not entirely certain on this, but because they're pre-owned, I believe that means you're not eligible to claim the tax credit, just like you're not eligible for the referral link credit. I hope I'm wrong on that assumption for your benefit. But I also concur that the credit is claimed when the car is put in service when you pick it up, not when you order it. Good luck!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Not that anyone is going to pre-pay 100% before delivery . . .

Say someone is in a position where 2016 is the only year where they have a $7500 or greater tax liability, which won't exist in 2017. It might make sense to 100% prepay in 2016 to claim the credit. You don't even need the VIN until April 15, 2017 when you file.

So in theory, on 12/31/2016 one could order and pay 100% for a car and claim the credit for 2016.

I'm not a tax guy, this is just my opinion.

In order to legally claim the tax credit, you must place the vehicle in service. The IRS requires that you place the car in service in the year that it is delivered. Therefore, you can't prepay in 2016 for a car that will be delivered in 2017 and claim it on 2016 taxes. You would only legally be able to claim it on 2017 taxes since that's the year it is delivered and actually placed in service.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler