Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% Insurance Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not many people qualify for USAA. Do you have reason to believe he does, or do you know of a way for Joe Public to get insurance from USAA?

You have to be careful with the generic term "USAA" since they have at least 3 captive auto insurance "companies" with different rates and underwriting criteria - something they don't widely publish. The original USAA insurance for commissioned and retired commissioned have the best rates. The USAA-CIC (dependents) is somewhat higher, and the the still higher risk USAA pool (Garrison) is higher still. This is my personal observations from having long time USAA customers in my family for both USAA, CIC, and USAA (Garrison) over the years. Still a great company or companies, depending on your view. In my case they did not have the lowest cost overall for me.

I think that having someone in your direct family tree (parent, grandparent) that was military now gets you into the Garrison USAA pool, but I could be wrong.

$1400/yr w/ Costco Ameriprise for 2 cars and 3-year gap coverage for the Model S.

Without the 2nd car, the Model S coverage rises to $1800/yr. Yep. Both cars are domiciled, for insurance purposes, in Los Angeles County.

I'll be shopping for more sensible coverage once the 2nd car is sold.

what?! Two cars per yea is $1400 but one car is $1800, what kind of math is that?

I called Ameriprise and they quoted me 1200 per six months, that with me already having 3 cars with them and no tickets the last years...dang. My deductible is 500

Just want to update thread.
My commercial limo insurance, just went from about $3800/year up to $7,300/year. No accidents or tickets at all. Went back to progressive, as thats a lot of money and a lot of work just to break even, and my progressive went up from before I had the commercial insurance. I was $600ish every 6 months, now it's $900/6months...... Need to shop around and lower some coverages.

My Geico went from $610 for my S85 and 2009 Hyundai Genesis for both, for 6 months to $1,625!!!
Holy Sh**!

Fortunately, premiums were NOT due to go up until June and I crashed it on April fools day! (No joke) totalled.
Now my premiums are $450 for just the Genesis. Woo hoo. I'm saving massive money while waiting for the bigger battery, and inside upgrade that I believe will come out with the SUV. And then I will switch if premiums are still high.

Keep in mind, just saying you will shop around or drop them often works. My first S85 and Genesis estimate from Geico was about $1,300, then within minutes, it dropped to $610 purely when they "reconsidered" after hearing about Progressives quote.

The new $1,625 price hike came after they reevaluated insuring a Model S, but the rep was not specific if that was cost of fixing them, or if they just didn't have enough info on the Model S in their system in the first place. Personally I was shocked my S85 and Genesis were only about $100 a month combined (at first).