Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 miles per hour on 120v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if it's ideal miles is shouldn't be that drastic of a difference in charge rate, especially at 7 amps. At 7 amps, 110v single phase it should only be charging at 2 or 3 mi/hr. You'd need to be pulling 3Kw to be able to get up to 8 mi/hr and three phase at 7 amps would be that exact amount.

Bigger question is that I don't think the mobile charger can handle three phase power, so that's a mystery... in addition to how you'd be getting three phase power on a 120 outlet with only one hot wire. Gremlins?

Ok so I was right. The rates are at rated not ideal. When I changed to ideal it jumped up to 9/10mph

Attachments

• 50FF73CA-85CE-48F6-8A05-F8CB13A35E91.png
    50FF73CA-85CE-48F6-8A05-F8CB13A35E91.png
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • 5F7FAEAF-3EA6-475B-B799-F316AAF81AC3.png
    5F7FAEAF-3EA6-475B-B799-F316AAF81AC3.png
    1 MB · Views: 53
I guess that is an interesting thought. If OP changes to percent it should show that actual charging rate vs. mph. That might add one more data point to the mystery...

I ran the numbers and her image is showing .777KWh if we assume single phase. My image shows 1.46KWh for sure. The time to full is confusing between our two images though.

riddle me this Batman lol. It’s showing 2kw definitely mind boggling

Attachments

• A3B20609-4711-4C39-96C7-7806254CB094.png
    A3B20609-4711-4C39-96C7-7806254CB094.png
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • BC197D59-C0A1-4D44-A104-AFECC40976DD.jpeg
    BC197D59-C0A1-4D44-A104-AFECC40976DD.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 67
So I guess I will drive off and my “gas gauge” will drop down quicker than a V10 excursion wide open
Yes, I'm pretty sure that it is part of the same software glitch that it is showing all those other fantasy mile numbers. Like when you noticed that the car "thinks" it added 52 miles in 6.5 hours, and how someone pointed out that with the rated miles versus %, that the car would have 478 rated miles at full, which is nonsense and even way above the ideal value.

• Funny
Reactions: AliAs MS
Yes, I'm pretty sure that it is part of the same software glitch that it is showing all those other fantasy mile numbers. Like when you noticed that the car "thinks" it added 52 miles in 6.5 hours, and how someone pointed out that with the rated miles versus %, that the car would have 478 rated miles at full, which is nonsense and even way above the ideal value.

It wasn’t showing 478 rated at full, it was showing that at 80% it would be rated at 191. They misinterpreted seeing it currently around 40% and thinking 191 was the current miles rated

Switched to a different outlet and now I’m getting the 4 mph. Display still shows about 80 miles gained after about 10 hours. No idea how long it will take to adjust the miles if it is just a glitch

Attachments

• 00DCC27A-676C-4274-9E3B-398DB989C1B9.jpeg
    00DCC27A-676C-4274-9E3B-398DB989C1B9.jpeg
    771 KB · Views: 51
Switched to a different outlet and now I’m getting the 4 mph. Display still shows about 80 miles gained after about 10 hours. No idea how long it will take to adjust the miles if it is just a glitch
Well, as with any kind of questionable software glitch, I would recommend rebooting both screens. For the center touch screen one, hold both scroll wheels for several seconds until you see the center screen go black and then a Tesla logo appear, then release.

For the front screen behind the steering wheel, hold the two buttons just above the scroll wheels also until the screen goes black and a Tesla logo appears, then release.

What if you switch back? Does it still say 3 phase then? If so, could your power company have unintentionally upgraded your home (or part of the circuitry) from the outside to 3 phase?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
@Huachipato is correct. Have you measured the voltage at the plug? I would be curious to know what it is between the two "hot" lines and then from ground to each hot line. I am betting you have 120v from ground to white/neutral. The little 3 in the circle indicates you are charging on three phase. The range you are adding at 120v also reflects three phase. If this plug is intended to be a normal 120V it's likely wired wrong back at the breaker box. Be careful.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
@Huachipato is correct. Have you measured the voltage at the plug? I would be curious to know what it is between the two "hot" lines and then from ground to each hot line. I am betting you have 120v from ground to white/neutral. The little 3 in the circle indicates you are charging on three phase. The range you are adding at 120v also reflects three phase. If this plug is intended to be a normal 120V it's likely wired wrong back at the breaker box. Be careful.
That cannot be possible for it to actually be 3 phase. It's a software glitch. This is in the USA, and he already said it is a 5-20 outlet that he has used before and gotten the normal 4 mph rate from usually. A 5-20 outlet only has three pins in it: two for the voltage and a ground. A 3 phase would have to have more connections, plus the UMC for North America can't pass 3 phase, plus the onboard chargers in the North American cars aren't built to process 3 phase.