Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

800 mile 0 degree road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I road tripped from Charlotte to Cleveland for Christmas in our new MYP. Got to Cleveland just in time for the winter storm. No issues on the way there as the weather was still in the 40’s. We left to come back to Charlotte yesterday and it was below 10 degrees for the first part of the trip. We had the car in the garage before we left but range definitely took a hit due to the cold. I would say we got about 1/3 of what we should have gotten on the first leg of the trip. It eventually warmed into the 20’s and the range was waaaay better. Overall it was non-eventful other than a short wait for a charger on the first stop.

So you’re saying you made it to Amarillo by morning? Hopefully there were no injuries in Santa Fe.

Just kidding how was the supercharging? I drove about 150Mi on Christmas eve from NC to SC with temps at about 15F the whole way. I noticed I used about 5% more charge than normal, but I don’t know how much was due to the cold and how much was due to the 20+ MPH wind. The only material change that I noticed was that my batteries had to heat up for about 30 minutes when I got to my destination before they would begin charging on a 30 amp dryer plug. Curious if the pre-conditioning was able to keep up with cold enough to maintain normal supercharger speeds right away.

The comfort and relatively frequent stops were a real change to my usual ‘no stopping, pee in a bottle’ approach to road tripping. Very relaxing. Anyway, I posted this because I would have loved to see more info on these types of trips but it was tough to find them..

Merry Christmas all!

This 100%. I think this is the biggest benefit imo. It really changed my behavior. I honestly don't know why I always felt like I had this urge to arrive at my destination on time or ASAP with my ICE. I would be flying at 90mph going on the fast lane to and from LA / VEGAS / SF. Now, I just cruise at 70-75mph knowing I have to charge. It is so much safer.

So you’re saying you made it to Amarillo by morning? Hopefully there were no injuries in Santa Fe.

Just kidding how was the supercharging? I drove about 150Mi on Christmas eve from NC to SC with temps at about 15F the whole way. I noticed I used about 5% more charge than normal, but I don’t know how much was due to the cold and how much was due to the 20+ MPH wind. The only material change that I noticed was that my batteries had to heat up for about 30 minutes when I got to my destination before they would begin charging on a 30 amp dryer plug. Curious if the pre-conditioning was able to keep up with cold enough to maintain normal supercharger speeds right away.

The car expects to know the next destination as soon as you leave your last stop. It decides when to start pre-conditioning so that you are ready for fast charging. I would not expect heating to support 250 kW since that is wasteful and hard on the battery, but probably ~ 100 kW from the start and a pretty quick ramp. There is a non-linear dynamic in play with this pack-temperature/kW game

The comfort and relatively frequent stops were a real change to my usual ‘no stopping, pee in a bottle’ approach to road tripping. Very relaxing. Anyway, I posted this because I would have loved to see more info on these types of trips but it was tough to find them..

Merry Christmas all!
Have you been able to use the AP for a sizeable length of your trip (considering the weather conditions)? I found myself significantly less tired after long trips in Teslas because the AP takes the focus and micromanagement of vehicle controls in the hands of the computer. You don't need to keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel making sure the car does not cross into another lane for 12+ hours with few breaks.

Just picked up my MYLR on 12/21 and drove it from Delaware to New York on Christmas Eve and back on Christmas Day (~300 miles round trip factoring in visits to family in New York).

I was a little hesitant seeing as this was my first experience in a Y for a long trip and it was quite possibly the worst case scenario for a long drive (single-digit temps with highs in the teens).

Some observations:
1. The energy graph was pretty much spot on which means the temperature is absolutely factored into the calculation.

2. Overall I'd say (comparing with my Model S which has around the same range), the range was down quite a bit but that is to be expected. I averaged around 358 wh/mile (which I think was pretty good). I left at 100% SOC (~330 miles) and had I not stopped to charge along the way, it was predicting I would have arrived with 125 miles remaining. In my Model S in the summer, I would typically arrive with around 200 miles of range for reference.

3. Having to use the non-beta FSD software (my S has the FSD beta) reinforces just how much better the FSD beta software is. I've now requested the beta on my Y and will hopefully get it after doing the whole safety score thing again.

Overall a successful first trip and I will say the packaging of the Y is really good and I was able to fit all of our stuff with room to spare.

Have you been able to use the AP for a sizeable length of your trip (considering the weather conditions)? I found myself significantly less tired after long trips in Teslas because the AP takes the focus and micromanagement of vehicle controls in the hands of the computer. You don't need to keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel making sure the car does not cross into another lane for 12+ hours with few breaks.
I used it for most of the trip. Once we were south of CO Springs we were mostly clear of snow on the roads.

Reactions: DrGriz
We just took a 800 mile road trip from Denver to Ft Worth in our new Model Y Performance. It was the easiest trip we’ve ever done… Love me some electric road tripping. The temp when we left was 0. We did get up to 14 the first day in New Mexico. A balmy 30 by the time we got to Ft Worth.

Left with 100%
Stopped in Pueblo just for a charge…
We didn’t need to stop but my son and his in laws were hanging in Trinidad so we had dinner with them and got a full charge
The computer said we could make it to Amarillo if we drove slow but we were conservative on our first road trip and stopped in Clayton NM for a few minutes.
Stayed at the Home2Suites in Amarillo and woke up with a warm car and a free full tank.
Childress for a couple of minutes of charge
Then some good BBQ and a charge in Henrietta
Arrived in Ft worth with 39%

Merry Christmas all!
That first road trip is fun and exciting, with an air of adventure about. Glad you enjoyed yours. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Having to use the non-beta FSD software (my S has the FSD beta) reinforces just how much better the FSD beta software is. I've now requested the beta on my Y and will hopefully get it after doing the whole safety score thing again.
Safety score is no longer a necessity for FSD Beta, just request and when they get to you you are good.

I am a first time owner - took delivery of my MYLR 12/3.
we just returned from a 2400 mile round trip (Virginia to Louisiana and back).
The trip started with 15 F temps - so I had some concern about decreased range.
The Nav computer did a fine job of routing us - we started from home at 100%.
the return trip was much warmer - and the ranges were better as expected.
I did start realizing the benefits of editing the navigation plan to consider specific preferences on stops…and the process felt very simple and natural by the latter parts of the trip.
Overall Wh/mile was better than I had expected (traveling at 70 mph). We finished the trip with ~270 wh/mile.
very pleased with the performance and comfort of the car.
I used auto pilot a lot. It didn’t have any phantom braking episodes. It did react to a few situations more aggressively than I would have, but I could always see why it was reacting. It is very conservative when a car in front of you is exiting the interstate and decelerating. It appears to give them clearance to get back on all the way till they fully separate from the main road.
No issues using the superchargers. there were 2 chargers that didn’t work right but was able to move to another available. 1 wouldn’t communicate with the car And 1 topped out at ~60KW.

We went from Emerald Isle NC to Vass NC that morning, into the 20+ mph winds. We stopped at our normal halfway point in Warsaw NC and were unable to add sone charge since power was out in that area, so based on the car estimate we would make Fayetteville NC with 10 percent so we headed on. The car estimate was pretty much spot on and preconditioning was too as we were able to charge at 140 kw on a 150 kw charger.

I am a first time owner - took delivery of my MYLR 12/3.
we just returned from a 2400 mile round trip (Virginia to Louisiana and back).
The trip started with 15 F temps - so I had some concern about decreased range.
The Nav computer did a fine job of routing us - we started from home at 100%.
the return trip was much warmer - and the ranges were better as expected.
I did start realizing the benefits of editing the navigation plan to consider specific preferences on stops…and the process felt very simple and natural by the latter parts of the trip.
Overall Wh/mile was better than I had expected (traveling at 70 mph). We finished the trip with ~270 wh/mile.
very pleased with the performance and comfort of the car.
I used auto pilot a lot. It didn’t have any phantom braking episodes. It did react to a few situations more aggressively than I would have, but I could always see why it was reacting. It is very conservative when a car in front of you is exiting the interstate and decelerating. It appears to give them clearance to get back on all the way till they fully separate from the main road.
No issues using the superchargers. there were 2 chargers that didn’t work right but was able to move to another available. 1 wouldn’t communicate with the car And 1 topped out at ~60KW.
Update- I reported the last charge wh/mile number. Whole trip was 320’s.