Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D expected range? Other CPO checklist items

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today is the day! Going to inspect my delivery on a 2015 used 85D at noon. I got a nice 37 point checklist off someone here in the forums, but was wonder what is a quick way to check battery condition? I’m assuming they will charge it up to 100% when I get there, if so, what is an acceptable expectable range I should see?

Any other quick tips besides the normal checking points?

The rated range for the S85D when new (range mode off) was around 270 miles. My almost-four-year-old S85D (62K miles) has about 2% range loss (range at max charge is about 264 miles) and I'm perfectly fine with that. Only you can decide what's acceptable to you. Don't count on a 100% charge when you get the car (you probably don't want somebody to fully charge your car and let it sit there for hours anyway...that's not great for the battery cells).

Two things you might want to look for is to see if AP1 capabilities are active (if not, and you want that feature, you can pay to get them turned on later, but it's about $3000), and see if it has the 3G or the LTE radio (upgrading 3G to LTE is about $500). This is just to give you an idea what capabilities your car has.

Good luck and have fun!

Bruce.

The rated range for the S85D when new (range mode off) was around 270 miles. My almost-four-year-old S85D (62K miles) has about 2% range loss (range at max charge is about 264 miles) and I'm perfectly fine with that. Only you can decide what's acceptable to you. Don't count on a 100% charge when you get the car (you probably don't want somebody to fully charge your car and let it sit there for hours anyway...that's not great for the battery cells).

Two things you might want to look for is to see if AP1 capabilities are active (if not, and you want that feature, you can pay to get them turned on later, but it's about $3000), and see if it has the 3G or the LTE radio (upgrading 3G to LTE is about $500). This is just to give you an idea what capabilities your car has.

Good luck and have fun!

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce! Very informative as always. In my research, I got a lot info from your posts! A lot due to the fact that the car I'm getting is also a 85D on AP1 :)

Mine is earlier 2015 so the description still says the "tech package" and does indeed list out the AP features TACC, auto-steer self-park, so I better have it activated! Also, the sales guy ensured me that it "should". Pretty sure unfortuantely it's 3G just based on my research (my VIN is a 76XXX) so will have to pay for the LTE upgrade. Going to write a post about my whole used experience once all said and done.. interesting/weird process indeed.

Thanks Bruce! Very informative as always. In my research, I got a lot info from your posts! A lot due to the fact that the car I'm getting is also a 85D on AP1 :)

Mine is earlier 2015 so the description still says the "tech package" and does indeed list out the AP features TACC, auto-steer self-park, so I better have it activated! Also, the sales guy ensured me that it "should". Pretty sure unfortuantely it's 3G just based on my research (my VIN is a 76XXX) so will have to pay for the LTE upgrade. Going to write a post about my whole used experience once all said and done.. interesting/weird process indeed.

Hmmm...I've been spewing a bunch of 85D trivia the past few weeks (I guess there must be a bunch of lease returns...or people trading their car in after the warranty is up?). Glad that's been helpful. It's good to know those brain cells weren't totally wasted remembering this stuff, instead of, say, working towards world peace or finding a cure for cancer... :)

If you have the tech package, then you're good to go as far as AP is concerned. And the tech package went away before the LTE radios came along, so you don't have that. Don't feel like you absolutely need to get LTE but if you're finding you drop out of cellular coverage on 3G more often than is acceptable you might consider it.

Bruce.

Hmmm...I've been spewing a bunch of 85D trivia the past few weeks (I guess there must be a bunch of lease returns...or people trading their car in after the warranty is up?). Glad that's been helpful. It's good to know those brain cells weren't totally wasted remembering this stuff, instead of, say, working towards world peace or finding a cure for cancer... :)

If you have the tech package, then you're good to go as far as AP is concerned. And the tech package went away before the LTE radios came along, so you don't have that. Don't feel like you absolutely need to get LTE but if you're finding you drop out of cellular coverage on 3G more often than is acceptable you might consider it.

Bruce.

Real time updates here as I’m sitting waiting for them to assess if they can fix the damages I noted that was not pictured.

surprisingly, it does have LTE!! I guess original they must have add it? Weird seeing as it was just a lease.

Quite a few things not pictured that is not small normal wear... photographer did a horrible job.

Attachments

• 372320F8-F971-4201-A8DC-8482A2F22802.jpeg
    372320F8-F971-4201-A8DC-8482A2F22802.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 89
  • B50530E8-DA0E-408E-A1C8-C1E392ECAB77.jpeg
    B50530E8-DA0E-408E-A1C8-C1E392ECAB77.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 86
  • AE9373E2-ED81-4786-B985-77294C1B3036.jpeg
    AE9373E2-ED81-4786-B985-77294C1B3036.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 86
  • C85D85CA-01B7-4538-BD37-FC105DD50DCA.jpeg
    C85D85CA-01B7-4538-BD37-FC105DD50DCA.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 82
  • FEF00996-058F-4D75-AEA3-D19EAE638212.jpeg
    FEF00996-058F-4D75-AEA3-D19EAE638212.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 5A988CA8-CDBD-41EF-A30A-90B7B362CBE1.jpeg
    5A988CA8-CDBD-41EF-A30A-90B7B362CBE1.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 82
Though it was a lease and not owned I’ve read that MCU repairs sometimes come with the upgraded LTE. Maybe that’s how your car came to have the LTE.
Very glad to hear they were willing and able to address your concerns. I’m hoping to get a used MS or MX this summer.

Must be. Another thought is that even though the model was early 2015 production based on VIN, it actually wasn't first leased until Dec 2015. So maybe while it was sitting in factory they upgraded it? Not sure.

I'm going to do a write up of my experience tonight. May be useful in your process for buying a used!

They fixed most of it and gave me credit for 2 free rim repairs there, so I pulled the trigger!!

Right now it's sitting at 90% charge with rated range of 239mi, so per my math that's 265 miles on full charge so that's like 1.9% battery degregation? not bad for 35k miles I guess.

Awesome, glad they fixed it up! Your math sounds right, and IMHO that range is fine.

Congratulations and welcome to the Tesla family!

Bruce.

PS. Correction: my car's full charge range looks like it's closer to 260 (down from 270). The difference of a few miles isn't that significant, but just mentioning this for completeness.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
They fixed most of it and gave me credit for 2 free rim repairs there, so I pulled the trigger!!

Right now it's sitting at 90% charge with rated range of 239mi, so per my math that's 265 miles on full charge so that's like 1.9% battery degregation? not bad for 35k miles I guess.

Glad they fixed it for you. My CPO experience has been a nightmare so far (documented in other threads). The car has been in service for over a week now and I only bought it a month ago. I also had a bunch of cosmetic stuff that wasn't included in the pictures they sent and they said it was normal wear and wouldn't help me. This included a dent in the front bumper around 2 inches in diameter and interior trim damage like what you pictured. I am in the process of trying to get them to refund my money but I doubt that'll happen.

Glad they fixed it for you. My CPO experience has been a nightmare so far (documented in other threads). The car has been in service for over a week now and I only bought it a month ago. I also had a bunch of cosmetic stuff that wasn't included in the pictures they sent and they said it was normal wear and wouldn't help me. This included a dent in the front bumper around 2 inches in diameter and interior trim damage like what you pictured. I am in the process of trying to get them to refund my money but I doubt that'll happen.

Esh.. sorry to hear about that. Yeah, the amount of cosmetic stuff not pictured is baffling.. give me 10 minutes and a flash light I can take 10x more accurate pics, I feel like accuracy was not goal...

I got my late 2015 85D a month ago. The range after 18000 miles was 267. The Tesla used car experience was flawless, and the car was impeccable.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
Maybe going slightly off-topic, but it feels like there has been an uptick in people buying (or thinking of buying) S85Ds lately. Have there been a bunch of lease returns in the past month or two? Or are these cars that people are turning in because the 4-year warranty is up? Or...???... Just curious.

Bruce.

Maybe going slightly off-topic, but it feels like there has been an uptick in people buying (or thinking of buying) S85Ds lately. Have there been a bunch of lease returns in the past month or two? Or are these cars that people are turning in because the 4-year warranty is up? Or...???... Just curious.

Bruce.

Mine was because lease was up so previous owner turned it in. It does seem like prices have come down on used 85Ds as well based on what I’ve seen people said they paid in forums in 2017-2018. Now it seems like a 85D AP1 with reasonable miles (<35k) and reasonable condition can be had for low $40k, so when I think of any other alternatives around that price point... A Tesla S with good range and can go 4 secs 0-60 was a no brainer :)

The question is: what is the *real* range? My 85D displays 266 miles of rated range, but in reality I get around 220 if I went from 100% to 0%.

It depends on what your average Wh/rated mile is. If you drove at 27 mph on a flat surface, 70-deg day, no winds, you would see 350-400+ miles. If you drove at 80 mph, cold climate, strong head winds, you would probably see <150 miles.

However, the displayed rated range can be a bit misleading. You can read more in depth about it in this thread. The simplest way to explain it is if your average Wh/rated mile is slightly less than the EPA rating, you will be able to achieve the displayed rated range if you were to drive from 100% to 0% SOC and never stop (the vehicle’s energy trip meter doesn’t account for energy consumed when you’re stationary). The 85D EPA rating is 290 Wh/rated mile, and there’s some folks on the official Tesla forum that have looked at their data over the years and concluded ~282 Wh/rated miles will allow you to achieve the displayed rated range with the assumptions I mentioned above.

The more complicated explanation is you might be able to closely achieve the displayed rated range at the EPA rating (290 Wh/rated mile) if you drove your vehicle until it no kidding shut down (same assumptions as above). The displayed SOC would be <0% and there’s no guarantee on when it will shut down. Some folks see shut down a mile or two after 0% and others, 15-17 miles after 0% (and some before 0% is even displayed, but those are usually a case of the battery being “out of balance”).

Personally, I just keep the display set to battery % and base everything on that. I’ve found the vehicle navigation estimate to be pretty accurate but I’ll always back it up with abetterrouteplanner.com.

Reactions: darxsys
Congrats on the purchase! Make sure you got 2 key fobs, the mobile charger and the J1772 adapter. Additionally, I would check underneath the carpet in the frunk to make sure the tow bar is there. It’s one of those things you hope to never have to use but if you do, you don’t want to find out it’s missing when you really need it. Mine was missing all of the items I mentioned above (well, I got 1 key fob but everything else was missing).

Congrats on the purchase! Make sure you got 2 key fobs, the mobile charger and the J1772 adapter. Additionally, I would check underneath the carpet in the frunk to make sure the tow bar is there. It’s one of those things you hope to never have to use but if you do, you don’t want to find out it’s missing when you really need it. Mine was missing all of the items I mentioned above (well, I got 1 key fob but everything else was missing).
Earlier 2015 build cars have no recess in the Frunk for the tow bar. Mine was in the mobile connector case.

Must be. Another thought is that even though the model was early 2015 production based on VIN, it actually wasn't first leased until Dec 2015. So maybe while it was sitting in factory they upgraded it? Not sure.

Mine was made in June '15, not leased until September. My guess is in that time, it accumilated about 3k miles as a demo car. Your SA should be able to pull the records to see what the mileage was when leased.