Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D impressions after several days of use, comparison to 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

After driving my parents two new 85D's for a few days, I thought I would share my impression of that model compared to my 1 1/2 year old 85 (which has coils).
During significant acceleration the 85D is noticeably noisier than the 85, but the difference is minor. I actually like hearing the low-level electric motor whine under hard acceleration. Reminds me of my Roadster.
I can't perceive a difference in handling between the AWD and the RWD under the driving conditions available to me here in Southern California, but since the new 85D's don't belong to me I didn't push them hard through the corners.
The 85D is obviously quicker accelerating, it's obvious when you floor it.
One of the two new 85D's has the air suspension, one has coils. I drove both over the same roads and cannot clearly detect a difference. If I had been blindfolded and been the passenger in both cars, switching back and forth and going over the same roads I don't think I could have correctly identified which car I was in. But I didn't try that particular experiment.
And the new Next Gen seats are awesome.

More thoughts:
I like the new way the frunk closes compared to my late 2013 85. The new mechanism is easier to use and seems to require less pressure.
The new motorized charge port door is pretty cool.
The Next Gen front seat headrests sure are tall! (My parents cars did not come with the rear Next Gen seats so no change there).