Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value for 2015 S 85D with 83k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DMan

Apr 20, 2016
WA
Tesla gave me an offer of ~$15k for my 2015 Model S 85D with 83k miles on it. I am looking into a new Model Y.
KBB lists it for $20-25k.
Go with the Tesla offer or look for a local used Model Y at a non-Tesla dealership? I have purchased two used Model S both from Tesla over the last 6 years.

Tesla gave me an offer of ~$15k for my 2015 Model S 85D with 83k miles on it. I am looking into a new Model Y.
Go with the Tesla offer or look for a local used Model Y at a non-Tesla dealership? I have purchased two used Model S both from Tesla over the last 6 years.

No need to trade through Tesla even if you buy a new or used MY from them. If you don't want to try to sell the MS 85D yourself, you could shop it around to places like CarMax, Carvana, etc.

Does free supercharging stay with the car if I sell it privately or does Tesla eventually deactivate it?

Test drove a long range Y today. Competent but the handling around the sweepers is not confidence inspiring unfortunately. Test drove a 3 performance right after and that felt much better. I would almost never use the 3.1s 0-60, would actually prefer the extra 15 miles of range given the choice. However, Tesla has inventory performance models with $3-4k discounts right now.

I checked a few more sites. Nationwide similar cars are start in the $27-28k range. Trade in prices at Carvana and Carmax are around $15-20k.

Does free supercharging stay with the car if I sell it privately or does Tesla eventually deactivate it?

Test drove a long range Y today. Competent but the handling around the sweepers is not confidence inspiring unfortunately. Test drove a 3 performance right after and that felt much better. I would almost never use the 3.1s 0-60, would actually prefer the extra 15 miles of range given the choice. However, Tesla has inventory performance models with $3-4k discounts right now.

I checked a few more sites. Nationwide similar cars are start in the $27-28k range. Trade in prices at Carvana and Carmax are around $15-20k.
Free supercharging runs with the car in a private sale. If you trade in to tesla they will probably deactivate it. Tesla should be offering you an additional $5K on your trade in due to the free supercharging. You should be able to sell yours private for at least $25K. I sold my 2015 85D 3 months ago and bought Model Y P.

Reactions: DMan
I found out the hard way that their lowball offers are reflected on current inventory. I bought my 2018 100d w/EAP and 35k miles for $52k last Nov. when used vehicles were in demand, I got an alert for a p100d w/lower miles and was a 2019 w/FSD for only $5k more in March...and they offered me $30k. Mind you, they weren't selling any 2018 100ds for that price (still high 40s to mid 50s) but per the sales guy they had a lot of them in inventory.

I found out the hard way that their lowball offers are reflected on current inventory. I bought my 2018 100d w/EAP and 35k miles for $52k last Nov. when used vehicles were in demand, I got an alert for a p100d w/lower miles and was a 2019 w/FSD for only $5k more in March...and they offered me $30k. Mind you, they weren't selling any 2018 100ds for that price (still high 40s to mid 50s) but per the sales guy they had a lot of them in inventory.

Not just current inventory but also new (and used) pricing in the market. When Tesla significantly dropped new MS prices earlier this year, it had a domino effect on used wholesale and retail prices. Last November when you purchased your 2018 MS, the starting price of a new MS was $106,440. Today, you can get a new inventory MS for as little as $82,630 or nearly $24,000 less. This caused the values of used 2023s to drop which caused the values of used 2022s to drop which caused the values of used 2021s to drop which caused the values of used 2020s to drop and so on.

Reactions: BulldogsRus