Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9.5" wheel on the MY and 8.5" on the M3...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to put a taller tire on to help fill the wheel gap. Ideally a 245/45/20. However, with the 9.5" rim it will look way too stretched. Not to mention it being outside of the mfg specs for most tires.

I currently have the 20" turbines and I'm considering selling them and buying a new set of 20x9s.

My question is: Why did they put a 9.5" wheel on the MY but an 8.5" on the M3? Are there any safety concerns stepping down to a 9" wheel? The 9.5" is severely limiting when it comes to tire selection.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't know the answer to your question and am also curious since a smaller wheel will protect the rim from curb rash.

One comment though, you mention putting on a taller (greater diameter) tire to fill the wheel gap. I'm not sure this will work due to the very tight clearances of the suspension (unless additional modifications are made to the suspension). Take a look but on my vehicle there is only about 5/8" clearance between the upper control arm and the tire tread. The tire you mention is not that much bigger diameter than stock so you might be ok.

My assumption is that the wider wheel can hold more load. The Y weighs more than the 3 so it makes sense to have a wheel that is stronger and can hold more weight.

So, if you do buy a narrower wheel, check the wheel's load rating and make sure it equals or is greater than the stock wheel.

Reactions: richyrich
My assumption is that the wider wheel can hold more load. The Y weighs more than the 3 so it makes sense to have a wheel that is stronger and can hold more weight.

So, if you do buy a narrower wheel, check the wheel's load rating and make sure it equals or is greater than the stock wheel.

That's the only thing I could think of. However, the MY only weighs 300 lb more than the M3 so I can't think that would make much of a difference spread across four wheels?

Another user has verified that a 245/45/20 will fit...barely, but not practical with the 9.5 inch wheel.

A compromise would be a 265/40/20 which is 1% bigger. Just not sure how much of a difference visually that would make. Very limited tire selection in that size also.

I can't locate the stock Tesla rim load rating, but attempting to use TSportLine rims as a proxy gives as close as I can figure.

The TST rims in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 for the Model 3 and Model Y, respectively, are both load rated at 1980 lbs. I have a set of TST knockoffs (sorry couldn't stand the tramp stamp) on my Model 3 and was trying to see if they'd work on the Y. From a load rating perspective, they seem fine, but they'll be inset in the wheel well just a tad going from 9.5 to 8.5" rims.

Assuming that Tesla can get the same strength, with a narrower time/rim like the TST's, I don't understand why they made the Model Y's rims wider? Tesla usually runs narrow tires for the rim (IMHO, I personally loathe the 'stretched' tire look) yet they upped the rim width for the Model Y, but the load ratings _could_ be the same. I would think they'd try to avoid that to keep narrower tires, meaning less rolling resistance/aero drag and therefore better range. I feel like I'm missing something, as this decision in that context doesn't make sense.

Link to the rims I mentioned-
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I can't locate the stock Tesla rim load rating, but attempting to use TSportLine rims as a proxy gives as close as I can figure.

The TST rims in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 for the Model 3 and Model Y, respectively, are both load rated at 1980 lbs. I have a set of TST knockoffs (sorry couldn't stand the tramp stamp) on my Model 3 and was trying to see if they'd work on the Y. From a load rating perspective, they seem fine, but they'll be inset in the wheel well just a tad going from 9.5 to 8.5" rims.

Assuming that Tesla can get the same strength, with a narrower time/rim like the TST's, I don't understand why they made the Model Y's rims wider? Tesla usually runs narrow tires for the rim (IMHO, I personally loathe the 'stretched' tire look) yet they upped the rim width for the Model Y, but the load ratings _could_ be the same. I would think they'd try to avoid that to keep narrower tires, meaning less rolling resistance/aero drag and therefore better range. I feel like I'm missing something, as this decision in that context doesn't make sense.

Link to the rims I mentioned-
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

A 9" wheel would have made way more sense as it allows for more tire choices and still perfectly accommodates the 255 OEM tire width. Frankly, I'm surprised they used a 255 tire given the increased rolling resistance.

I wonder if this comes down to track performance only as evident by the recent title of fastest production CUV or something like that. Free publicity I guess.

Reactions: gt2690b