Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A 1 Million Dollar Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this guy sells this Roadster at the asking price, it just raised the bar.
Capture.JPG

Aloha,

I've been lurking in this forum (I'm a fan of the Roadster and a future owner). I've learned quite a bit reading your posts and hope to one day share, as an owner.

As part of my 'obsession' to learn more about this piece of automobile art, I scan sale listings periodically. Today, I found a $1M roadster on eBay! It is described as a 'validation prototype'. Snippet from the description:

"Own one of the first Tesla's ever produced #32 - ultra rare Tesla roadster validation prototype vin ending in #V00032. V = validation prototype code and 00032 is the unit number. One of only approximately 33 prototypes made, some of which were destroyed for crash testing. Not originally sold to the public. Has early features like the gear shift knob not found on most other models. In fantastic condition with just over 18,000 miles. See links below for more details and background on the validation prototype Tesla roadsters and to verify meaning of vin codes.

A million dollar Tesla may be crazy today but with vintage Ferrari's going for $15M+, imagine what the first Ferrari prototype models would go for. Take that 30 years into the future when most cars are electric and they'll be able to trace their history back to Tesla, the company that is changing the industry, and this being a prototype of its first model. Historic and super sporty."

There you have it - a million dollar Tesla!

Arguably laughable. This exact vehicle sold for $61K just a few months back.

I believe we're many, many decades away from a Roadster, 18K miles, VP or not, selling for more than even $200,000...but hey, I cannot predict the future.

If any cars are likely to hit the $1M mark in the many years ahead, I'd expect it to be the Final 5 (last 5 in production), or possibly early Signature 100's / VP's with less than 200 miles on them.

Reactions: TEG
So why does it have the new-style T badge on the hood rather than the shield? I have #670 (much later than the VPs) and Tesla hadn't yet switched to the T logo. I wonder if the pictures (other than the VIN) are from a different car.
Somewhere along the way they upgraded the front bumper. Either they hit something and damaged the old one, or they purchased a new one because they thought it looked better.

That ebay ad is indeed laughable. The seller can ask whatever price he wants, but there is no market for million dollar Roadsters. I would say it's not easy selling a low mileage Roadster for over $100,000 even if it is loaded with every option and every carbon fiber piece possible.

Maybe the seller mistakenly added one to many zeros in his price and he intended to price it at $100,032.00

And why add $32 ?

Last edited:
Whenever you start changing the original look and parts on the car, the value goes down on a collector car. So either someone got bored with the 1.5 look on the front and changed out the nose or it got hit and they replaced it with the 2.5 one as Henry mentioned. They did offer that nose as an aftermarket add-on later and it then disappeared.

But obviously this guy's wife told him to sell his Roadster, so he complied ensuring it will never sell.

Last edited:
That ebay ad is indeed laughable. The seller can ask whatever price he wants, but there is no market for million dollar Roadsters. I would say it's not easy selling a low mileage Roadster for over $100,000 even if it is loaded with every option and every carbon fiber piece possible.

Maybe the seller mistakenly added one to many zeros in his price and he intended to price it at $100,032.00

And why add $32 ?
That'd be plausible, if the person hadn't actually written million dollar Tesla in the ad.

That'd be plausible, if the person hadn't actually written million dollar Tesla in the ad.
Heh, you're right, I missed that.

Well, in one sense that ebay ad has succeeded: it's brought attention to the ad! Now the seller can re-list the car for an order of magnitude less and try to sell it. But likely that would still be well over market value.

I think that Roadster is worth somewhat less than a comparable 1.5 with a 1 to 499 VIN.

Some sites track average used car prices. With the small number of roadsters listed, I wonder if this could be a ploy to inflate the average used price calculations before relisting it...?

Reactions: DeedWest