Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C not cooling air - Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is interesting that there is high voltage HVAC equipment toward the rear, but considering the compressor is called out directly in the front, I'd guess this would be additional heat or fans. I wonder if those two components even exist on the 5-seaters.
The second condenser does not exist on a 5 seater. They just duct some of the air from the condenser to the back. It works OK. For us, 99% of the time the vehicle only has people in the front seats so we have no complaints about staying cool even in the Central Valley of California in mid-summer.

The second condenser does not exist on a 5 seater. They just duct some of the air from the condenser to the back. It works OK. For us, 99% of the time the vehicle only has people in the front seats so we have no complaints about staying cool even in the Central Valley of California in mid-summer.
I know that and stated as much earlier in this thread. However, I don't think a condenser is a high voltage item, so I'm not sure how it's relevant to the comment you're replying to. Also, the center vents in the middle row are always fed from the front. Only the outside vents are ever fed by the second condenser present in the 6 and 7 seaters.

I know that and stated as much earlier in this thread. However, I don't think a condenser is a high voltage item, so I'm not sure how it's relevant to the comment you're replying to. Also, the center vents in the middle row are always fed from the front. Only the outside vents are ever fed by the second condenser present in the 6 and 7 seaters.
Sorry I misread your post. Please ignore my reply.

Reactions: mxnym
I had a problem just a few months out the gate with my 2017 model S (late 2016) - Fresh air intake AC Louvers were defective / stuck closed - only noticed AC not working on extremely hot days, but seems the car logged enough data for them to quickly discover what the problem was at the service center and replace it. 4 years later all is good but initially that first road trip was miserable

I have experienced the THC_w0016 error where it disables the AC at the end of a supercharge on a very hot day. Of course this should be unacceptable to not allow an easy way to clear the error. Forcing families to drive the rest of their trips without AC on a very hot day is just crazy.

With that out of the way. I was able to figure out what actually resets the error. The car needs to go into a sleep state. So, the above Power Off works only if the car goes to sleep in addition to just powering off. I was able to have the car go to sleep (confirmed via Teslafi data) after a forced power off with overheat cabin protection off. But, it took 30 minutes before it acheived a sleep state. Upon waking the car from the sleep state causes it to clear the AC out issue. As a note, you can power off the car with the driver door open so you can exit the vehicle. I just put my leg out to stop the door from closing. Once off, I exit and close the door. The car immediately locks.

This has happened to me on two separate occasions with almost identical conditions. So, the next time I find myself supercharging on a very hot day, I will try to avoid these conditions. The conditions were as follows:
  1. Very hot outside - 90 +
  2. Dog mode was on
  3. Receive warning message THC_u0005 Air conditioning temporarily reduced Vehicle systems being cooled. This is due to the very hot conditions with cabin AC on and car trying to cool the batteries. Once the supercharge ends, it will continue to divert AC to the battery temporarily. But this condition does go away.
  4. Immediately upon disconnecting the supercharge cable is when I get the fault the disables the AC permanently. THC_w0016 Air conditioning reduced DC Fast Charging / Supercharging rates may be reduced.
Next time I'll probably stop dog mode before disconnecting the cable just to not repeat the conditions.

I personally think this must be a bug and asked Tesla to look at my logs to determine this.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Bought a 2019 LR Model X and at first it slightly cooled, then nothing at all. Took it to SC in Bellevue, WA, they had it for 5 days and couldn't figure it out, said they needed to order parts...over a month and still waiting on parts, they keep resetting the appointment date. Luckily I do live in the Pac NW but it does still get hot inside the car even at 75 (it was 98 interior the other day so only option was to roll down windows, no cool air at all!) SC has been nothing but disappointing, really frustrating. I made a new appointment at a different service center in Lynnwood because I am not waiting another 3 weeks as summer rolls in for them to "wait on parts," that is ridiculous.

Reactions: scottf200
Thank you for posting. A hard reboot after turning off cabin overheat protection worked.

Scanmytesla didn't seem to show anything amiss aside from the temperature showing 104 degrees inside but the AC suddenly stopped being cold on the hottest day of the year so far. No codes or warnings

Last edited: