Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to turn on the A/C remotely if you previously left the car running without it (fan only)? After each ride, I like to flush out the A/C with fan only to minimize the potential for smell.

It doesn't appear like this is an option but hoping others have had luck doing this.

If you turn on climate via the app, and set the temp low (< 70), it will turn on the A/C, regardless of what the last setting was inside the car.

In fact I want the opposite! Right now there's no way to remotely only turn on the HVAC fan, without it also turning on the A/C or Heater automatically depending on the temp set in the app, and actual the cabin temp. Even if you set a neutral temp like 70 or 72, it will still turn on the A/C to cool the cabin if the interior temp is high.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
If you turn on climate via the app, and set the temp low (< 70), it will turn on the A/C, regardless of what the last setting was inside the car.

In fact I want the opposite! Right now there's no way to remotely only turn on the HVAC fan, without it also turning on the A/C or Heater automatically depending on the temp set in the app, and actual the cabin temp. Even if you set a neutral temp like 70 or 72, it will still turn on the A/C to cool the cabin if the interior temp is high.
Hmm, the opposite is happening for me. I set it to 70-72 and only fan turns on because that is how I leave it. I will try <70 and see if that changes anything.

I'm like you: I always manually turn off the A/C 10 mins before I arrive at the destination, to clean out the evaporator of water. I don't know if the fan auto-turns on for a few mins after leaving the car to clear out the evap, but why take the risk?

When I turn on climate via the app (typically 65F for max cooling), it always turns on the A/C as needed to cool the cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
I pretty much leave the climate control on AUTO - and it always runs for a few minutes after i shut the doors to dry out evaporator coils.
Right. Tesla added that a few years back for 3's and Y's. If you had the AC on, about 5 minutes after you exit the car the fan will run. Sometimes for 15 minutes to dry out the coils. It works well and once a year change the air filters and you will avoid the smelly issues.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae and jcanoe
I'm like you: I always manually turn off the A/C 10 mins before I arrive at the destination, to clean out the evaporator of water. I don't know if the fan auto-turns on for a few mins after leaving the car to clear out the evap, but why take the risk?

When I turn on climate via the app (typically 65F for max cooling), it always turns on the A/C as needed to cool the cabin.
I tested this today. Seems like A/C will kick in if I put it in "LO" which is less than 60F. Otherwise, it will run fan only.