Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner—A/C Only Works While Moving. Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! First time poster, new (used) Tesla 2016.5 Model S owner here. So far the forums been great, hoping to get a little help.

So, I love the car, but the A/C is only working while the car is moving. I live in NC, and with summer around the corner this is not looking good!
My question is, is this normal? I’ve read other posts mentioning the car sending A/C air to the battery while supercharging at times. But this is happening while charging, while parked, at stoplights etc. It does occasionally work right first thing when I get in (regardless of movement) but on a whole the air only runs cold when I’m driving. Fan moves air, everything seems to be fine otherwise…

Any suggestions or information? Is this the way Teslas A/C is supposed to work?
🙏

No not normal
AC needs outside condenser cooling while NOT in motion (and sometimes in motion too)
Most likely ur condenser fans not working... Do u hear them? in front of each front wheel..

When u drive, natural air flow cools them n ur AC works but it will still have issues in very hot weather
The reason it works when u just start the car, cause freon is not hot yet but it only takes few min for that to happen

Upvote 0
No not normal
AC needs outside condenser cooling while NOT in motion (and sometimes in motion too)
Most likely ur condenser fans not working... Do u hear them? in front of each front wheel..

When u drive, natural air flow cools them n ur AC works but it will still have issues in very hot weather
The reason it works when u just start the car, cause freon is not hot yet but it only takes few min for that to happen

Upvote 0
No not normal

Hey, thanks for the reply!
Ok, so no, I do not hear fan noise outside the car. Never having owned a Tesla I didn’t know what to expect, but sitting next to other ppl charging I noticed my car was quieter. Much quieter.
So, does this mean the fans that cool the battery aren’t working? Is this an expensive repair? I was sold a car with working A/C, but now I’m wondering if there were bigger issues.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Ok, so no, I do not hear fan noise outside the car. Never having owned a Tesla I didn’t know what to expect, but sitting next to other ppl charging I noticed my car was quieter. Much quieter.
So, does this mean the fans that cool the battery aren’t working? Is this an expensive repair? I was sold a car with working A/C, but now I’m wondering if there were bigger issues.
the fans cool condenser, ac system is setup to cool cabin and battery so yeah indirectly u have less efficient battery cooling
batteries themselves are cooled by coolant that then goes thru chiller or heater, depends on whats needed, to cool/heat cells

Upvote 0
If Range Mode is on, it turns the AC off at times. Turn Range Mode off. From Manual:

"Turn on Range Mode (touch Controls >
Driving > Range Mode). Range Mode
automatically limits the amount of power
that the climate control system uses to
maintain the temperature the cabin
area
and limits the amount of energy being
used to heat or cool the Battery. In
addition, Range Mode turns off signature
lights (only in market regions where
daytime running lights are not required)."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If Range Mode is on, it turns the AC off at times. Turn Range Mode off. From Manual:

"Turn on Range Mode (touch Controls >
Driving > Range Mode). Range Mode
automatically limits the amount of power
that the climate control system uses to
maintain the temperature the cabin
area
and limits the amount of energy being
used to heat or cool the Battery. In
addition, Range Mode turns off signature
lights (only in market regions where
daytime running lights are not required)."
Well, either way, Range Mode is off. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Well, check car Service app for possible indications. Otherwise, you may need to open a Tesla service ticket, because that shouldn't be happening. It is a very good AC in my car, but somewhat like an early British car that can never keep you cold enough or hot enough on Auto mode. Manual intervention is usually required for me. On very hot or cold days, my experience is the car's needs take precedence over the passengers, but it still is pretty good.

Upvote 0
Well, check car Service app for possible indications. Otherwise, you may need to open a Tesla service ticket, because that shouldn't be happening. It is a very good AC in my car, but somewhat like an early British car that can never keep you cold enough or hot enough on Auto mode. Manual intervention is usually required for me. On very hot or cold days, my experience is the car's needs take precedence over the passengers, but it still is pretty good.
Ok. I don’t use Auto, I’m a manual guy. I likes it cold 🥶

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Hey all! First time poster, new (used) Tesla 2016.5 Model S owner here. So far the forums been great, hoping to get a little help.

So, I love the car, but the A/C is only working while the car is moving. I live in NC, and with summer around the corner this is not looking good!
My question is, is this normal? I’ve read other posts mentioning the car sending A/C air to the battery while supercharging at times. But this is happening while charging, while parked, at stoplights etc. It does occasionally work right first thing when I get in (regardless of movement) but on a whole the air only runs cold when I’m driving. Fan moves air, everything seems to be fine otherwise…

Any suggestions or information? Is this the way Teslas A/C is supposed to work?
🙏
I cant answer for the Model S, but my 2023 Model 3 blows ice cold air when ever i want it too.

Upvote 0