Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A crazy thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read on some comments that NJ doesn’t have sales tax on Tesla M3 and I verified. I currently live in TX, and tax here comes to $3200. I am wondering if I can take the delivery in NJ and drive back to TX. My sister lives in NJ and I can put it on her name if it’s required. I checked the route and it’s 30hrs for 1700 miles and costs $75(no brainer).
Here my questions/doubts.
1. Do I need to take the car on my sisters name or my name with her address is fine?
2. Am I still eligible for the federal tax benefit?( I want to avoid putting it on her name because of taxes and stuff)
3. What all do I need to take the car from Tesla in NJ?
4. Is it ok to drive 1700 miles on day one( I know it’s ok but want to confirm)?

Does this process even work? Am I missing something obvious? Please help me save $3000(free AP).

Cheers!

:rolleyes:1) depends on if u get loan ..normally titled for person on loan
2) needs to be registered in ur name
3) just drive :p
4) if ur up to it why not :eek:

Not sure u will get around tax as won’t u need to register back in Texas?

this doesn't work on cars... because of what post above mentioned. Registration... insurance... residence.... license....

You might be able to pull this off on other large ticket items like diamond engagement rings ;)

Also I don't know your situation and don't mean to be presumptuous, but if you have to think through this much of a scheme to save some money, then maybe buying a car right now isn't the best idea financially?

I have read on some comments that NJ doesn’t have sales tax on Tesla M3 and I verified. I currently live in TX, and tax here comes to $3200. I am wondering if I can take the delivery in NJ and drive back to TX. My sister lives in NJ and I can put it on her name if it’s required. I checked the route and it’s 30hrs for 1700 miles and costs $75(no brainer).
Here my questions/doubts.
1. Do I need to take the car on my sisters name or my name with her address is fine?
2. Am I still eligible for the federal tax benefit?( I want to avoid putting it on her name because of taxes and stuff)
3. What all do I need to take the car from Tesla in NJ?
4. Is it ok to drive 1700 miles on day one( I know it’s ok but want to confirm)?

Does this process even work? Am I missing something obvious? Please help me save $3000(free AP).

Cheers!
If you aren’t military and plan to maintain NJ residency, it won’t work

This works perfectly if you’re ok with New Jersey plates, and live in New Jersey with a New Jersey drivers license. Have you thought about insurance? In essence you are starting a chain of fraud. Fraud is a crime. I hate taxes, but this is not a smart move.
Now that I think about it! Not a smart move. Don’t drink while ordering the car as well ;). Thanks for the reply.

Many high end cards get registered in Montana. No taxes, no inspection, no residency requirements. Insurance may be an issue. Do some googling and you'll find plenty of info about it.

People do this all the time, and given how widespread it is, people also report it to the authorities.

It's not worth it on a car that costs 100k or less. But if you're buying a 2 million dollar exotic, maybe.